Sonos: unable to browse music with spotify

I am unable to browse music with spotify on my sonos. 

Tried the usual reset actions:
reset modem connection, reset bridge, remove and re-authorize spotify account.

Nothing helps. In the past resetting would make a difference. Actually quite amazed how unstable the sonos / spotify integration is.

Please how a look at my issue. Diagnostic support ticket: 3910512

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the diagnostic. There is some interference on your system which could be contributing to your issues. Take a look at this link, it has possible causes and potential solutions to help with this. Sometimes changes as minor as making sure to separate your wireless router and the Sonos devices by three or more feet, or as far as the ethernet cable allows, will improve audio streaming. Your Sonos system is currently on channel 1, try moving your router to channel 11.

Also, I see an error on your diagnostic that indicates there may be an issue with your ethernet cable. Please also replace this cable with a new one and test the system again. 

If you still have further issue, please grab another diagnostic after these steps and I'll be happy to take a look. Reply with the number here first, then try the test below.

Try another reboot in this order: 
- Unplug your router and all the Sonos devices.
- Plug in your router after about 30 seconds and wait for your network to come back up. 
- Plug in all of your Sonos devices and allow them to go solid white.
- Once the last unit goes solid white, test Spotify again. 

Please grab another diagnostic at this time. 
Hi Dominique,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggested steps. Moved my router to channel 13 (sonos is on 1), moved the bridge as far as possible, replaced the LAN cable. Nothing helps.

I did found out something interesting. If I use the spotify program on my PC (direct lan link with my router), I do get to browse and select spotify playlists. Through my ipad or android phone (app) however both give the message "unable to browse music with spotify". I can start/pauze any music already in the queue on my ipad.

Diagnostic number before the reset: 3920825.

After the hard reset I also removed and re-authorized the spotify account. Again no solution.

Diagnostic number after the reset: 3920907.

Regards,
Mark
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Dominique,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggested steps. Moved my router to channel 13 (sonos is on 1), moved the bridge as far as possible, replaced the LAN cable. Nothing helps.

I did found out something interesting. If I use the spotify program on my PC (direct lan link with my router), I do get to browse and select spotify playlists. Through my ipad or android phone (app) however both give the message "unable to browse music with spotify". I can start/pauze any music already in the queue on my ipad.

After the hard reset I also removed and re-authorized the spotify account. Again no solution.

Regards,
Mark

Hey Mark,

Those diagnostic did not come through which may indicate interference on the system. Please try swapping the channels of your router and Sonos- Router on 1 Sonos on 11.

If you are able to browse Spotify via your computer but not your wireless devices, this may indicate a wireless setting conflict. 

Do you have any other network devices such as wireless access points or switches?How is your system setup- i.e. routers, switches, Sonos etc? 

Try this quick troubleshoot:
- Forget the network on your iPad. 
- Reboot the device
- Stand close to your main router and re-connect to your network

Test the connection again. Please also grab a diagnostic from your PC as well as from a wireless- I'm going to compare the two to see if there are any conflicts or errors.
Hi Dominique,

Regards,
Mark

I have the same issue. Can't connect Mog...all others connect ok, i.e. Tunein radio, TV etc. I have unplugged all devices, rebooted etc.
Hi Dominique,

I tried switching the channels and to reset the network on my ipad. It doesn't help.

My setup at home is very simple: internet connection to the RG which is also the router/wifi spot.
The bridge is connected with a LAN cable. 

To clarify again: the problem on my ipad/android device is that I cannot browse spotify music (no playlists are shown, search doesn't work). I can however play(start/stop) music with spotify, select music that is already in the queue on my ipad/android device. Other music services work fine.

This indicates that there is nothing wrong with my connection to spotify (it is possible to communicate) or with my sonos/bridge on my ipad/android device.

Concluding; this points more into the direction that something is up on the Sonos side. As Reg also has similar problems, and I have read similar problems in other posts as well. 
I also understand that Sonos has their own server's between those of Spotify. So any traffic/interaction has to go through the Sonos servers. Maybe something strange is going on over there.

Report from the iPad: 3925609 (doesn't work)
Report from the android: 3925670 (doesn't work)
Report from the PC (fixed connection): 3925612 (does work)
Report from the iphone: 3925650 (does work)

Please let me know if you can find something based on the reports.

Regards,
Mark
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi Dominique,

I tried switching the channels and to reset the network on my ipad. It doesn't help.

My setup at home is very simple: internet connection to the RG which is also the router/wifi spot.
The bridge is connected with a LAN cable. 

To clarify again: the problem on my ipad/android device is that I cannot browse spotify music (no playlists are shown, search doesn't work). I can however play(start/stop) music with spotify, select music that is already in the queue on my ipad/android device. Other music services work fine.

This indicates that there is nothing wrong with my connection to spotify (it is possible to communicate) or with my sonos/bridge on my ipad/android device.

Concluding; this points more into the direction that something is up on the Sonos side. As Reg also has similar problems, and I have read similar problems in other posts as well. 
I also understand that Sonos has their own server's between those of Spotify. So any traffic/interaction has to go through the Sonos servers. Maybe something strange is going on over there.

Report from the iPad: 3925609 (doesn't work)
Report from the android: 3925670 (doesn't work)
Report from the PC (fixed connection): 3925612 (does work)
Report from the iphone: 3925650 (does work)

Please let me know if you can find something based on the reports.

Regards,
Mark

Hello Mark,

Just to clarify, your BRIDGE and computer are plugged into the same device? You mentioned a 'wifi spot'- do you have a main router as well as you access point? 

I'm going to create a incident for you in regards to this issue so we can take a deeper look. We can also use our test accounts and take a look at your network settings as well as the Sonos system itself. 

Reference Number: 140805-000892

Please give us a call when you get the chance and we'll be investigate further. 
Same problem as other posters: Sonos cannot play music from Spotify Premium as a source. Sonos ‘sees’ our Spotify account as a source: but returns an empty field of blue with “Unable to browse music” when you click on Spotify “Playlists”, or “There was a problem searching” if you use the Search field. System is 5 Sonos players, a Bridge, 3 Macs and 5 iPhone/iPad controllers. Had been working perfectly for a year, until problem exclusively with Spotify started 2 weeks ago. All Players, Controllers and System continue to work fine with all sources other than Spotify. Able to play from Amazon, Pandora and Internet Radio Spotify app itself working fine on all devices, and our Premium account is uptodate. Have removed and re-added/authorized Spotify as a Sonos source 3 times. There is no problem adding and authorizing the Spotify Premium account. Have today uninstalled Sonos, downloaded current controller software for all devices, reset Bridge and Players to factory defaults, and re-configured entire system. No change in problem. Is there a system reset or update that can be done on Sonos’ end that might solve my problem?
Same problem as other posters: Sonos cannot play music from Spotify Premium as a source. Sonos ‘sees’ our Spotify account as a source: but returns an empty field of blue with “Unable to browse music” when you click on Spotify “Playlists”, or “There was a problem searching” if you use the Search field. System is 5 Sonos players, a Bridge, 3 Macs and 5 iPhone/iPad controllers. Had been working perfectly for a year, until problem exclusively with Spotify started 2 weeks ago. All Players, Controllers and System continue to work fine with all sources other than Spotify. Able to play from Amazon, Pandora and Internet Radio Spotify app itself working fine on all devices, and our Premium account is uptodate. Have removed and re-added/authorized Spotify as a Sonos source 3 times. There is no problem adding and authorizing the Spotify Premium account. Have today uninstalled Sonos, downloaded current controller software for all devices, reset Bridge and Players to factory defaults, and re-configured entire system. No change in problem. Is there a system reset or update that can be done on Sonos’ end that might solve my problem?
I have exactly the same issue browsing Spotify playlists, although the "Starred" playlist and a couple of old playists browse fine.

I have been through all of the troubleshooting with no resolution of the problem.

Has any got a solution to this as it's very frustrating?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Martyn,

I'd be happy to take a look. 

A quick step would be to:
- Reboot your router and test the service again. Unplug your router from power for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in to power. Wait for the network to come back up.Then test again. Please clear your queue and then re-add and test playback.

Please submit a diagnostic after you experience the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have the same problem as well, and without spotify my expensive sonos is pretty much useless
Same issue here.... any resolution to this..sees Spotify fine but cannot browse music, had been working fine for 6 months... reset router, speaker, removed and added Spotify to no avail
I have the same issue. It isn't about doing a reboot. The problem must be your end. The stuff in my queue from last night plays. All other music services work and spotify works on its own app. Please look into it.
I too cannot browse music from Spotify Premium. Sonos thinks the account is there, and I have tried deleting the account and re-adding it and all looks ok but still get 'cannot browse music', all other services work ok.
Same here. Was working yesterday. Can play internet radio and any local sources, just can't get to spotify via sonos (but spotify works fine on PC). It's Christmas Day, but no Christmas music. Bah. Humbug
I'm having the same problem.  Have rebooted router, have reauthorised account and deinstalled and reinstalled sonos - still not working.  
Badge
Same here too - was all ok yesterday, but now can't browse anything on Sonos, must be a problem with Sonos as Spotify itself is working fine on my PCM and ipad
Userlevel 2
Badge
I removed spotify but now can't even reinstall it through the sonos service - just more of the same really, sonos not working as it should. I'm baffled how companies like this feel like they can sell malfunctioning products at high prices and then just expect the customers to fix their products.
Hi - same problem - so frustrating on Xmas day!  Everything else works and have rebooted router, bridge and play units.  Spotify standalone works on PC.
Just received Sonos 1 as a gift, set up spotify which was a long and painful process. Took me an hour to get it set up! Now it is set up, I get told that Spotify is unable to browse music. Spotify works fine in its own app, and all other services work fine, so it's no use telling us to reboot of others have done the same and it still doesn't work. It's your end! Please look into this because not only is Spotify expensive but so is your equipment, and it is currently useless. Look into it your end!!
Badge
Have just checked and mine is all working now 🙂

yep..mine too...all resolved, looks like it was a backend issue ..now gets those tunes going 😉
yeah! Great fun now - thanks for sort ing out! 
I to can not get Spotify working on my Sonos. Everything had been fine until yesterday and all of a sudden it says 'There was a problem searching. Please try again'. I have tried following the re-boot process outlined earlier in the post and Spotify works fine on stand alone on my MAC. Also the radio function and music library on my MAC works fine through Sonos - just not Spotify, which is annoying as I wanted to play lots of Christmas songs through the system. 
It was working yesterday after you resolved it. Now, it's stopped again! What is going on?
Same issue here...