Sonos System plays music while controllers are out of range

• 20 January 2014
  • 6 replies

I use both my ipad and iphone as controllers at home, taking both with me to work daily. My wife at home says the Sonos system may either continue playing music after i leave or will cut out or randomly start during the day. Why is this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Sonos is made to continue playing even if the controller is out of range or turned off. In your case, it will play music services until the queue is empty/finished, skipping any tracks contained on the missing controllers. To rectify, push Stop and/or clear the queue before leaving.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello Michael,

If you start playing music from the iOS device that is from a music service or a shared local music library it's normal that the music will keep on playing.
Now if the music is being streamed from the iOS device the music will stop once the mobile device lost the home wireless network.

Also I would like more information about the Sonos system and submit a diagnostic as this will allow me to check the Sonos wireless network.
Here is a FAQ showing you how to Submit system diagnostic
Keep me posted.

Best regards,
Max
On a somewhat related note, is there anyway to get Sonos to start when I get home and turn off when I leave? i.e. can it sense when my phone is in range and turn on when it senses the phone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
On a somewhat related note, is there anyway to get Sonos to start when I get home and turn off when I leave? i.e. can it sense when my phone is in range and turn on when it senses the phone?

Hi wbianchi,

You could play music stored on your controller, and that will stop when your controller leaves your wireless network. There isn't currently a way to have the system automatically play music when your controller comes into range.

An alarm would work to start music if you get home at similar times each day.

I'll send along a feature request to add the ability for the system to automatically stop playing when you leave and start when you come home.
Thanks ... I have an August door lock that opens when it senses my phone and a Nest thermostat that knows when I'm home so this shouldn't be an impossible feature to add.
wbianchi,

Those sort of smart home functions are best done by smart home hubs and apps, IMO. That way you can tie all sorts of things like this with lights, thermostats, etc. There is a free app called Yonomi that can use your phone connecting to the wifi network as a trigger to start playing music, turn off when you leave the wifi network. Hubs like smart things can use your phones GPS to determine when you're home (geofencing)