Sonos Sub Pricing

• 11 February 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a couple of Sonos One speakers and find them to be a remarkable audio value. I have been wanting to supplement them with a subwoofer, but Sonos' price for the sub is outrageous. Why can't Sonos cut the margin on the existing sub or design a new sub for those of us who may not need a super glossy donut. Even a lower power sub would be sufficient for my needs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

There are rumors that Sonos is working on a lower powered/priced sub. Since Sonos hasn't annouced anything like that, we can't say for sore. As far as cutting the margin, from the outside looking in, it seems like that's a good idea. But without knowing current sales numbers and an idea of what a price cut would do to increase sales, it's just a guess.

Either way though, letting Sonos know you're interested, as you're doing now, is a good idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Thanks for the suggestion of making a lower priced Sub. I'll send along a feature request to our development team.
Userlevel 7
You might try eBay. Just make sure the seller has a good rating and a return policy. Some units can be insured via SquareTrade for up to 3 years offered on the listing.
Userlevel 1
Badge
That would be great!
I know there was talk of a lower priced sub with a downgraded finish in the earlier days of theproduct. If such a product were available in the 400-500 $ range it weuld be a no brainer for me. But at 600-700 it is at another level that demands more deliberation. And since I listen to the Ones exclusively for music, earth shaking volume more relevent to videos of attack heliocopters is not needed. 😃
Badge
You could also try a refurbished sub from Sonos if they're available where you live. I just bought one with a 200€ discount and it was delivered a couple of days ago. It looks brand new to me and the difference it makes with a pair of Play1s for listening to music is just astonishing. I'm not a fan of excessive bass but the sub adds a depth and warmth which is difficult to describe without actually experiencing it. Combined with a Deezer Hifi account to listen to tracks in FLAC format, it's pure listening pleasure. I never had any complaints about the Play1s on their own and I have a pair of Ones in the kitchen which I love, but turning the sub on and off from the app shows just how much detail is missing. I personally decided to try it out because almost every single review on the Internet says how good it is and I thought it must be something special. So far, I have not been disappointed. It's expensive but it manages to deliver a quality of sound that I've never heard before.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Paul,Thanks for your comments on your experience with the sub. Yes, if I could get a refurbished sub at the kind of discount you mentioned I would probably jump. As AjTrek1 kindly mentioned, they do come up on ebay, but with shipping often at the level Sonos charges for new when it is feeling generous at holidays.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
You could also try a refurbished sub from Sonos if they're available where you live. I just bought one with a 200€ discount and it was delivered a couple of days ago. It looks brand new to me and the difference it makes with a pair of Play1s for listening to music is just astonishing. I'm not a fan of excessive bass but the sub adds a depth and warmth which is difficult to describe without actually experiencing it. Combined with a Deezer Hifi account to listen to tracks in FLAC format, it's pure listening pleasure. I never had any complaints about the Play1s on their own and I have a pair of Ones in the kitchen which I love, but turning the sub on and off from the app shows just how much detail is missing. I personally decided to try it out because almost every single review on the Internet says how good it is and I thought it must be something special. So far, I have not been disappointed. It's expensive but it manages to deliver a quality of sound that I've never heard before.
They are never available in Australia
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi folks,

Thanks for the suggestion of making a lower priced Sub. I'll send along a feature request to our development team.

Will it ever be available? Interested too to pair with Beam