Sonos Sub practically caught fire - Anyone else?

• 22 December 2018
  • 3 replies

On black Friday after only owning the sub for < 8 hours - while watching TV it made a loud pop, started to buzz which was immediately followed by the "hot electrical smell" - then began to smoke. I unplugged and move it out of the house - but am sure it would have got to the point of catching fire as I almost needed oven mats to move it. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

In the many years I've been reading this forum, this is the first and only such report I’ve ever seen.
With voltage set to 120 in a 220V country, reports have said it blows internal fuse and chars a few internal components, but have never heard of it smoking. A rectifier inserted backwards would do it, but you'd likely also smell that awful exploded electrolytic cap smell...
Hi there, HoudiniRN. Is this happening to the Sub we replaced back in November, or is this a write up of your earlier experience?