Answered

Sonos Sub Gen 3 scratches and polish?

• 11 February 2021
  • 5 replies

I got a gen 3 sub recently and have tried to keep it in pristine condition. All I've used on it is the Sonos cloth that comes with it to dust it off. I was shining my phones flashlight last time I cleaned it to make sure I had removed everything, when I noticed a hairline scratch that was about 5 inches long on the top of the sub. This scratch is really only visible when I shine a flashlight near it although I'm wondering if this is common and the finish scratches from just cleaning it with the supplied cloth.

Has anyone tried to get rid of scratches like these on the sub with a polish, or should I just leave it as is?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 February 2021, 17:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

I would just leave it as is. Polishing the scratch could add even more scratches and swirl marks. All it takes is one small particle on your cloth or the surface of the Sub to leave a small scratch when you wipe it with a cloth. In the future, lightly dust the Sub with a clean feather duster like a Swiffer to avoid adding any more scratches. 

Badge

Same complain from me.  I just purchased a gen 3 sub yesterday to replace my gen 1 sub and honestly I thought i was unboxing a used sub or something.  The box was sealed and everything seemed new just the swirls on the sub threw me off a bit for something that cost 900 cad i would expect perfection.  I guess they just don't make em like the 1st gen lol!

Having said that I spent 20 minutes with some polish (not compound) and my Random orbital polisher with a very mild pad and wow better than new and all scratches and swirls are gone.  There were 2 deeper scratches that I spot polished with Carpro medium compound  then I hit the whole sub with Carpro Reflect polish.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Another option would be a Sub cover that would hide existing scratches and prevent new ones. 

Amazon or make one.

Userlevel 7

Agreed that the gloss finish of the Sonos sub can be a bit difficult to maintain in pristine condition. Like @GuitarSuperstar mentioned you can use a swiffer to remove dust particles. I do that myself. 

However if you use an aerosol air freshener you may notice a film overtime on the surface. The same will occur if you are a smoker or incense burner. To remove a film use a damp cloth (no window cleaner or other chemical liquid) to gently wipe the surface. Use a second automotive polishing cloth to dry and lightly buff the finish. Do not apply a lot of pressure. 

I have done the above with all my subs and have gotten top dollar on eBay when upgrading through the Gen 1 and Gen 2 models.

Edit: I have a sub behind an entertainment center that is difficult to reach. In that instance I have employed a cover as suggested by @Stanley_4 

Badge

definitely all good tips!  Im good on maintaining it.  I had my Gen 1 sub for over 5 years and it looked like the day I bought it.    I was just surprised at the condition of the sub considering it was new.  I even thought of exchanging it to see if it was a isolated incident but after polishing Its in perfect condition.