Question

Sonos SL plays by itself

• 5 February 2020
  • 5 replies

This Play SL has been added to a network of previous generation devices - play 1’s, a play 5 and a sound bar. Suddenly a few weeks ago the play SL started blasting random music at top volume at 3:30 in the morning and other times of day and night, with no warning or correlation with usage or musical choice. I have had to unplug it and none of the older device exhibit this behavior. Suggestions?!?

5 replies

Do you know what source the music was from? For instance, if you have Spotify, and allow someone to play from their phone on your system, unless you start some other stream on the speaker they were using, they would be able to play to that speaker even while no longer connected to your Wi-Fi. 

And unfortunately, anecdotal reports of this kind of thing are hard to prove. If it happens again, if you can, and I’m sure it’s quite a shock when it happens, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Got a cat or some other critter that could be using the touch controls? If you do try disabling them and see if the music stops. Cool weather, warm Sonos and critters don’t always mix well.

Got a cat or some other critter that could be using the touch controls? If you do try disabling them and see if the music stops. Cool weather, warm Sonos and critters don’t always mix well.

It seems a touch cruel to disable your pets just to stop them stepping on your speaker controls.

Ah, John, thanks for that. I needed a good laugh!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sure it is hard on the pet but disabling the buttons would be inconvenient for you. Guess it depends on how much you like your pets.

Glad I didn’t mention small children!