Sonos's big, exciting, announcement for today was: Another refresh

• 4 October 2017
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
*sigh*

C'mon Sonos, you used to be better than this.

Your second refreshed play 1 speaker is the super big announcement? After previous big product releases being a refreshed playbar and a refreshed play 5?

The surprise being built in microphones which leaked months ago?

No noise cancelling headphones or outdoor speakers or portable speakers like users have been requesting for years?

Not even a cheap stand alone microphone unit for those who already have Sonos systems and want Alexa or Google Home?

You use to be the leaders. Now it seems like you're either resting on existing products (refreshes) or playing catch up (integrating microphones) and giving us nothing new:(

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Yes, apparently your pet requests that are rightly way down the Sonos priority list failed to make it again
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not even a cheap stand alone microphone unit for those who already have Sonos systems and want Alexa or Google Home?:(

you cant get much cheaper than an amazon echo ! That will be perfect as a "stand alone microphone for those who already have Sonos systems and want Alexa" 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Your second refreshed play 1 speaker is the super big announcement?

The new hardware is a component of what's actual happening here, and I don't know if you're missing that or intentionally ignoring it. It cannot be understated that voice control devices such as Amazon's Echo were the single biggest threat Sonos has faced in their entire run. This gives them an opportunity to co-exist and enhance those devices. If they pull off the multi-platform support it could even catapult them to new levels. This isn't hype, this is what any decent analyst would tell you about their market.

No noise cancelling headphones or outdoor speakers or portable speakers like users have been requesting for years?

It's not everything to everyone. Thanks for your recap.

Not even a cheap stand alone microphone unit for those who already have Sonos systems and want Alexa or Google Home?

This may be the single worst product idea I've ever heard for Sonos. That would be attempting to compete in a space where sub $50 products already exist from two of the largest companies in the world - Amazon and Google. It's further going to be infringed when the possibility of using your smartphones as the microphones is eliminated.

So yes, I'm glad that Sonos didn't waste valuable resources and time on that idea.

You use to be the leaders. Now it seems like you're either resting on existing products (refreshes) or playing catch up (integrating microphones) and giving us nothing new:(

It's not surprising that you capped this off with a statement that is objectively false. It isn't even worth refuting.

Not even a cheap stand alone microphone unit for those who already have Sonos systems and want Alexa or Google Home?:(

you cant get much cheaper than an amazon echo ! That will be perfect as a "stand alone microphone for those who already have Sonos systems and want Alexa" ;-)
As difficult to find as a pair of headphones or some outdoor speakers.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I love the Sonos system. It's one of the few things have I've spent a lot of money on and have n buyer regret for at all. I have 8 speakers and a playbar and have recommended it to several friends, who subsequently adopted it.

That doesn't change that it's been years since they offered any real new innovation or hardware and are being surpassed by competitors.

Yes, apparently your pet requests that are rightly way down the Sonos priority list failed to make it again

My "pet requests" are among the most frequently asked about hardware devices asked about on this forum for the four years I've been posting here. You may not be interested in them, but many people are.

C'mon Sonos, you used to be better than this.

Whereas I suspect you've always behaved this way.

Damn. Bad me, posting critical thoughts on a product release by a company I've been purchasing items from for years. Only cheerleading allowed! That's what's best for everybody!

Your second refreshed play 1 speaker is the super big announcement?

The new hardware is a component of what's actual happening here, and I don't know if you're missing that or intentionally ignoring it. It cannot be understated that voice control devices such as Amazon's Echo were the single biggest threat Sonos has faced in their entire run. This gives them an opportunity to co-exist and enhance those devices. If they pull off the multi-platform support it could even catapult them to new levels. This isn't hype, this is what any decent analyst would tell you about their market.

The new hardware is a microphone being put into existing speakers. It's not innovative, it's reactive - you admit as much above.

It's not everything to everyone. Thanks for your recap.

Did I say it was? No, I gave suggestions of hardware people have been asking for for years. You know what else isn't everything to everyone? A digital voice assistant that only works in three countries and a vague statement of more functionality coming in a year.

This may be the single worst product idea I've ever heard for Sonos. That would be attempting to compete in a space where sub $50 products already exist from two of the largest companies in the world - Amazon and Google. It's further going to be infringed when the possibility of using your smartphones as the microphones is eliminated.

Oh sure, because nobody whose house is already full of Sonos speakers would possibly be interested in a $25 microphone pack to integrate Alexa/google into their existing system when they can pay $50 for a microphone/speaker combo from Amazon/google that they don't need. I mean, there's no way that extra $25 could add up on a per room basis and work out to noticable savings that people would be interested in.

It's not surprising that you capped this off with a statement that is objectively false. It isn't even worth refuting.[/quote]

Objectively false? Sales numbers say otherwise. Market share says otherwise. Reviews are putting new wireless speaker systems ahead of Sonos for quality. Their previous product release to this was the playbase, a device criticized for being two years behind trend (most new TV's can't even be used with it) and it's basically a square playbar with more bass. The last two completely new devices were the Play 1 and the Playbar in 2013. Four years ago. Meanwhile, Amazon, Google, Apple, Bose, LG, and others keep expanding their product lines.

you cant get much cheaper than an amazon echo ! That will be perfect as a "stand alone microphone for those who already have Sonos systems and want Alexa" ;-)
As difficult to find as a pair of headphones or some outdoor speakers.

It's not difficult to find digital assistant home speakers either. Or regular wireless who home systems. Or home theater sound systems. It is difficult to find them with Sonos system integration.
Userlevel 3
Badge

Oh sure, because nobody whose house is already full of Sonos speakers would possibly be interested in a $25 microphone pack to integrate Alexa/google into their existing system when they can pay $50 for a microphone/speaker combo from Amazon/google that they don't need. I mean, there's no way that extra $25 could add up on a per room basis and work out to noticable savings that people would be interested in.

But Amazon already sells that exact device -- the Echo Dot... And, as of today, it can now be used to directly control Sonos speakers. So, what are you complaining about?
Userlevel 3
Badge

But Amazon already sells that exact device -- the Echo Dot... And, as of today, it can now be used to directly control Sonos speakers. So, what are you complaining about?

My apologies, you are correct- I am not in the US, UK, or Germany, the Dot is not sold here and my understanding of it was that it had a built in speaker.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Bad me, posting critical thoughts on a product release by a company I've been purchasing items from for years. Only cheerleading allowed! That's what's best for everybody!

What's best for everybody is informed posting. That's where you fell short.

The new hardware is a microphone being put into existing speakers. It's not innovative, it's reactive - you admit as much above.

You're struggling to understand that for Sonos to continue to be relevant it has to be about far more than the hardware, and yet that's all you're focused on. It's not about a single speaker. It's about what voice control and integration with the major ecosystems can bring to the product lines.

Oh sure, because nobody whose house is already full of Sonos speakers would possibly be interested in a $25 microphone pack to integrate Alexa/google into their existing system

Oh good we agree then.

Let's ask an intelligent question here. Do you think the companies that are spending billions of dollars on pushing these products into your home wouldn't make this offering if there was a meaningful segment here? You think that the people who've brought the technology into millions of homes are incapable of conceiving of the idea?

The math isn't even as generous as you say. If you buy any quantity (3+) the cost drops to $43. That's not even a promo. It's probably a good time to mention that most reports believe Amazon loses money on the Echo hardware. You want Sonos to get into the business of selling loss leaders too?

You're slamming Sonos for not being innovative, and in the same paragraph lamenting that they don't become a low-end microphone array dealer? You get where this is hard to swallow right?

When I said it was the worst product idea I've ever heard for Sonos I was not kidding.

Objectively false?

Yes, no need to debate. You can stage a new argument, but I won't take the bait on it. I'll stick to challenging you on the 'crazy microphone-seller' and 'inability to see beyond the hardware' points.
@wayoung. It is obvious you are not going to grasp how ludicrous your comments are. The voice controlled systems developed by Google, Amazon and Apple were a potential threat to Sonos' existence, but that now looks much more secure. And you would have had them develop networked noise-cancelling headphones instead!! It is so laughable, so out of touch with the market realities, that I am sitting here in a state of disbelief..
Userlevel 3
Badge
Uh huh. And what's so innovative software wise about allowing an existing digital assistant thats been around for years access to your app, like pretty much every other smart home device already does?

Look, the Sonos one is a needed product. I get that. Replacing the Play ones with it is necessary. But it's not new. It's not innovative. It's reactive. It's not a big announcement. It's a product refresh bringing the play one in line with current times. As would an independent microphone array so that those of us with existing Sonos systems aren't left out of the ecosystem. Seperate thought from needing innovative devices I already posted above that I did not know that the Dot was microphone only. It's not sold in my country, I thought it had integrated speakers.

Sonos has not put out a new product beyond refreshes in four years. Sonos needs to do something new. The hardware suggestions I posted above were suggestions based on posts on this forum. They're probably the two most requested devices I've seen on here. They were examples of possible new productss, something Sonos has been sorely lacking.
While we are at it, can we predict the demise of Sonos because of a lack of HiRes support? That one has been going for at least ten years. And lines in on the Play:1 and Play:3. And an optical input on the Connect, HDMI on the Playbar, Bluetooth support, Airplay support (oops, we are getting that one), a battery pack for the Play:1....
Userlevel 3
Badge
While we are at it, can we predict the demise of Sonos because of a lack of HiRes support? That one has been going for at least ten years. And lines in on the Play:1 and Play:3. And an optical input on the Connect, HDMI on the Playbar, Bluetooth support, Airplay support (oops, we are getting that one), a battery pack for the Play:1....

Please quote where I said Sonos was dead? Go on. I'm waiting. Or were you just strawmaning me? It was the latter? Oh, ok. Way to contribute.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
wayoung, you are way ahead of us. We are still waiting for Line-In for 1 & 3. Ha Ha...
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
But it's not new. It's not innovative. It's reactive. It's not a big announcement. It's a product refresh bringing the play one in line with current times. As would an independent microphone array so that those of us with existing Sonos systems aren't left out of the ecosystem

Who besides Sonos is going to bring you Amazon, Google, and Apple on one speaker? That sounds innovative or at least leading.

As for this microphone array, I would ask you to revisit my post to explain how it's remotely feasible. Amazon and Google are choosing to not make them, and that's a red flag. Amazon's believed to be losing money on every Dot, so you know that it'd be extremely costly for Sonos to swoop in there.

I did not know that the Dot was microphone only

Technically, it has a speaker. It's just terrible sounding. The point is only that there's not really a market below the Dot's price.

Sonos has not put out a new product beyond refreshes in four years

It's all how you want to frame the question. I could make a fair argument they've only "refreshed" speakers for the last decade with that sort of thinking.

They're probably the two most requested devices I've seen on here.

I haven't been around here that long, but I've been missing the demand for Sonos-brand Echo Dots that would have to cost more than $50 for Sonos to sell them.

Sonos needs to do something new.

Again, voice control and digital assistant integration is new. It's the future, whether that's true for you personally or not, that's what the market is betting on. Look at the consumer electronics shows, everyone is rushing to get on the bandwagon. Sonos is somewhat unique in their agnostic approach, and that's why I'm more confident about their chances of success today than at any point in the past few years.
Badge
I don't see Sonos as desperately needing "something new" just for the heck of it. Their overall line up is pretty great. The only thing missing is easier (cheaper) access to line ins and HDMI support in order to bring the "new" surround audio formats into the mix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have always advocated the "Super Connect". HDMI input into super connect and the super connect then has the ability to pair with 7 play speakers and sub for full 7.1 surround sound (all wireless). Think of the implications - especially for users that have projectors.
Badge
I have always advocated the "Super Connect". HDMI input into super connect and the super connect then has the ability to pair with 7 play speakers and sub for full 7.1 surround sound (all wireless). Think of the implications - especially for users that have projectors.

Something like that would be optimal, I agree!