Answered

Sonos Roam without other devices

• 20 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 10 replies

I’m traveling with a Sonos Roam and would like to have it available in S2 app connected to WiFi network instead of on Bluetooth via AirPlay. 

Is it possible to connect the Roam to S2 app … even if I need to create a new account and setup? 

Or is there another way to stream Spotify or Apple Music directly to the speaker instead of via Bluetooth / AirPlay from my phone?  

icon

Best answer by civan 20 December 2021, 23:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

First to clarify, airplay is a WiFi protocol.  If your source device (iphone/ipad) and Roam are not on the same WiFi network, you can’t use airplay.  Bluetooth doesn’t use WiFi.

But to the main question, yes, you can use the S2 app to control Roam away from home as long as the controlling device (phone/tablet) and Roam are on the same WiFi network.  That WiFi network needs to one that allows device to device communication, so it will not work in most hotel WiFi networks or other public networks.  A home network is ideal.

If you plan on using a phone hotspot, then you would need to have second phone/tablet as well.  The device providing the hotspot cannot be the same device you’re using the S2 app on.

Badge

I’m in a house with regular wifi. I’m connected to the roam using Apple Music and connecting to roam using AirPlay option. 

im connected via Bluetooth 

And it says in the S2 app that I am connected via Bluetooth and not connected via Wifi

so I’ve gone into the Settings in S2 and tried to move the Roam to the local network but it says it is unable to connect to Roam. (I didn’t screen shot that. I’ll do it again but it takes a few minutes) 

Badge

Here is the result when I try to move my Roam to the local network through the Sonos app. 

Is this the process you followed to connect  Roam to the new WiFi network?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

edit - Just saw that you were able to connect via airplay, meaning Roam and your iPhone are on the same network.  Strange that you can’t see the Roam through the Sonos app when both connected to WiFi.

Badge

So the airplay works with Bluetooth only. It always does even when I’m not connected to a wifi at all. Roam shows up in the airplay menu with a Bluetooth icon. 

But I figured out why I couldn’t get the Sonos app to change the network for the Roam. 

My phone is on a VPN while on the network at the Airbnb where I’m staying.  I turned off the VPN and it was able to connect to the Roam and get it switched to the network at this house.  

So - my big learning here - I can’t change the network settings while I’m on VPN.

1. Disable the VPN
  2. Open Sonos app
  3. Change settings for Roam to use new network. Will require typing in the password for the wifi
  4. Once changed, OK to re-enable the VPN, and can still connect to Sonos