Answered

Sonos Roam Dead

• 9 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

My Sonos Roam is 14 months old and has stopped charging and functioning completely. When sat on the wireless charger no lights turn on. When plugged in to USB-C the orange light comes on, but nothing works. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps (factory reset, charging overnight). 

According to the support line my only option is to get a 30% off coupon code and buy a new one. Any experience with this. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 August 2022, 21:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

@BrettH,

I had something similar happen to me recently, where a Roam was left on its wireless charger (without the battery saver enabled) and I thought it was charging, except I had not noticed the wall power-socket was switched off - several days later I just had an amber battery LED showing on the Roam and then had some difficulty resuscitating it.

I did a combination of these two things…

1. The power reset process (see below) …and then:
  2. Plug the Roam into a USB-C (10w-15w PD power output (5v x 2A/3A) charger for 30 minutes.

I had to ‘rinse & repeat’ the two steps above a couple of times and eventually the Roam came back to the land of the living.

The Roam has been fine ever since and I now remember to actually power on the Sonos Qi charger.😀

*Power reset process = (important: ensure Roam is off the charger) - Hold it’s rear power button pressed for 20-30 seconds and then return to USB-C charger for 30mins.

Anyhow, I hope the suggestion helps. 

Mines dead.  Purchased April 2021.   Contacted support and they suggested a new charging brick? I’ve tried at least 5 different bricks with zero success.  

Mines dead.  Purchased April 2021.   Contacted support and they suggested a new charging brick? I’ve tried at least 5 different bricks with zero success.  

See this link and perhaps check your charger(s) support PD, with the power output mentioned earlier in the thread:

https://blog.ravpower.com/2018/02/all-about-usb-power-delivery/

It is very disappointing that the Sonos Roam is not a very good product. The rest of the Sonos line is excellent. My Roam’s battery died after only 14 months of proper usage. It is out of warrantee after 12 months. So now I’m left with the option to get a 30% discount on another Roam that will probably die in another 14 months 2 months after the warrantee has expired. Even though this is a known issue the Roam has not changed. This is a great way to tarnish a company’s reputation. Again it is very disappointing that Sonos has released this product and is not really staying behind it. 

@Ed_DeP,
My Roams are older and still going strong, but note that some outlets may give longer warranty periods or buy an extended warranty with the 30% saved.. 

One link here that seems to provide a 6 year warranty on Sonos products:

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/sonos-roam