Sonos Roam - Battery drain

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone, 

I received my Sonos Roam yesterday and I am quite concerned by the battery drain on standby mode.

My roam is losing about 10% every hour on standby, which brings us to 10hours but I was expecting 10 hours in playing mode.

Should I be concerned by those stats are it was the expected consumption?

Thank you 🙂!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

278 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

But they didn’t fix the one thing that will REALLY help extend battery life in sleep mode.  Simply using the Sonos App for other speakers should NOT wake your Roam from sleep mode.  It still does with 13.3.   

The App should only wake the Roam from sleep, when you want to actively use the Roam, to either play by itself or group with other speakers.   Now, it wakes regardless.  So simply checking your music library or using any other Sonos speakers wastes Roam’s battery.  (How hard would it be to put in a software selection in the App -- “Wake My Roam”)?

So I’m in my office all day, using my app to control my office Sonos speakers -- it wakes the Roam constantly.  This is THE biggest problem  -- not fixed.

I know Sonos thinks that it is a feature (it isn’t, it’s a bug).  

Sure, I could power it OFF completely.  Then I have to go upstairs and physically use the power button to turn it back on.  Not an ideal solution.

If Sonos added a “Wake My Roam” feature, wouldn’t this add an extra step for users who want the Roam to wake up automatically from sleep mode when they use the app?

Perhaps -- but it seems like saving the battery power is a more important issue than users having to take one more simple step in software.   

And I don’t know of any users clamoring for this “feature” -- where Roam wakes automatically upon ANY opening of the App.  It seems like a “feature” designed by a marketing person for those users with ONLY Roams, and not a more complex system.   Yet Sonos is designed to be a whole home system, not just a Roam system.   So configuring/playing other speakers (not just Roam) is certainly a normal use case.

The crazy thing is Sonos Support just blah blah the same story, as above. Saying Roam has to occasionally connect etc. But whenever I turn it off, want it truly off and want it to stay charged, it depletes the battery by about 20-30% every 24hrs. This is totally useless when I don’t need it connected. After all, I’ve purposefully switched it off!! 

Userlevel 7

The crazy thing is Sonos Support just blah blah the same story, as above. Saying Roam has to occasionally connect etc. But whenever I turn it off, want it truly off and want it to stay charged, it depletes the battery by about 20-30% every 24hrs. This is totally useless when I don’t need it connected. After all, I’ve purposefully switched it off!! 

If the Roam is shut off completely, the battery should only deplete 1%-2% per day. How exactly are you turning off the Roam?