Sonos Roam - Battery drain

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone, 

I received my Sonos Roam yesterday and I am quite concerned by the battery drain on standby mode.

My roam is losing about 10% every hour on standby, which brings us to 10hours but I was expecting 10 hours in playing mode.

Should I be concerned by those stats are it was the expected consumption?

Thank you 🙂!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

278 replies

Userlevel 2

I’m having the same issue. I’ve hardly used it and the battery is down 50% in 24 hours. I thought standby mode was up to 10 days? This is not even close. Something is obviously wrong.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Sounds just as bad if not worse than the Move!

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Appreciate if SONOS staffs here can help to clarify, thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same here, so glad to know I’m not alone (although I’d assumed it was software related anyway).

Battery went from 100% to 74% after 45 minutes of music playing at 30% volume. Sleep mode after 9 hours takes around 25-30% off the battery. 

Appears the low-power state isn’t activating correctly. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Yeah, I’m getting about ten hours on standby too. 🙄 

I’ve turned on TruePlay and have the Status Light turned on, if this makes a big difference. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Finally had a proper play and was very confused by how I couldn’t even keep the device powered off to save battery. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone.

The Roam, when in standby, will wake up under certain circumstances - when you open the Sonos app, when updates are checked for, when it has to renew it’s connection on the network (this varies depending on router settings), and others. When these functions wake it from Sleep, it will soon go back to Sleep mode within 2 minutes. These actions will, however, use up battery life over time.

If you wish the Roam to be charged when you pick it up after a while, it’s really best to turn it off when it’s not charging, as you would with a normal, portable, Bluetooth speaker.

If, however, your new Roam does seem to be having problems with it’s battery, or is not performing as expected, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Roam and what it’s logs are reporting.

Same issue. I bought 3 roams, 2 of them were down to 70% when I woke up and I hardly used those yesterday other than for 5 mins or so. The other one was down to 35%!! Having been used for about 45 mins and then on standby from lunchtime till this morning 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If the battery life of Roam does not seem acceptable and you have Google Assistant installed on it, please try removing Google Assistant - we are aware of an issue whereby Google Assistant can use a disproportionate amount of power on the Roam, and we are currently working on a resolution which will be available in a future software update. Thanks.

In addition, we can analyse your Roam’s battery usage if you get in touch with our technical support team and we can advise you from there.

Badge +2

I noticed my Roam battery drained also...but i had to switch the plug I was using because it was not charging properly...i used an amazon plug that came with my old Alexa and now its fine and charges correctly. I wish they would of just included the proper plug. I started using an apple plug and that didnt work. Other than that issue ...i love this thing….i was using it to turn on the rest of my system with a push of the play button...pretty cool.

J

Userlevel 1

My roam has only lasted 3 days on standby with only 1-2 hours of actual playtime. 

I have Alexa as the assistant.

This is far from the 10 days promised.

If this does not improve its going back! 

I have the same issue as well.  Battery is draining quickly.  On standby mode, I also see in my WIFI router monitoring tool the Roam communicating every minute.  I don’t use an assistant and I mainly used the Roam so far with Spotify and Airplay.

Same here, if it’s not resolved quickly through a system update, it’s going back to Best Buy.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same here. Heavy battery drain when in sleep mode and almost as bad in the so called low power mode after being woken up because the app was used. It’s a design flaw that needs to be sorted ASAP ☹️

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

One has to wonder what the pre-launch testing regime is for new products.

It does seem worrying that stand-by battery life is so limited.

Userlevel 1

I fully charged my Roam upon receipt on Tuesday then switched it off. I did not install an assistant and truplay is switched off. I switched it on 4 days later to find the battery at 47%. After 5 minutes of play it had dropped to 43%. Unacceptable.

My 4 year old Bose Revolve that it was going to replace is laughing hysterically at it.

I will monitor for the rest of this charge and give it one more charge, but after that it's gone.

My battery is not draining quite this fast. However it does not stay turned off.

I have powered off, as in the instructions but every time I look at my app it re-opens.

I have only tested it and wished to save it for future use but it seems I will have to re-charge before this which is poor.

I have the same issue with move.

Is there any way, whilst charged, to fully power these devices off without them continuing to drain the battery?

Userlevel 2
Badge

…..

Is there any way, whilst charged, to fully power these devices off without them continuing to drain the battery?

You can fully power off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. That reduces battery drain but not tested how much. @jpsmilli 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Sonos proved they didn't have a clue how to integrate a battery powered speaker into its ecosystem with the Move.  Its longstanding issues are still there.

Different things were promised for the Roam. Sadly, it's quite clear nothing had changed, some of the drains are farcical.

…..

You can fully power off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. That reduces battery drain but not tested how much. @jpsmilli 

I do fully power off but the units still automatically switch themselves back on

Userlevel 3

Same here; severe battery drain. My Roam seems to have an inner life; turns on when it wants and loses battery charge even when off.

I want a device that remains off if I press an off button.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I want a device that remains off if I press an off button.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Userlevel 3

So, I did a “test” overnight on my Sonos Roam.

Any voice assistant has been off. Auto trueplay has been off too, thinking it might influence the mic and battery.

Charged the Roam to 100% before going to bed. Slept 8 hours; Roam was turned off. This morning Roam battery is at 39%. This is useless. I could not even fly or drive to a holiday destination without the battery being gone.

Checked my 5 years old UE Boom. Was 2 weeks off. Still has 60% battery charge.

Sonos Roam is a miss-design. Off must be off. This device will go back Monday. A petty. I hoped to have a travel speaker fitting into my Sonos eco-system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It's genuinely amazing how the Move and the Roam have the same battery drain issues.

Who's designing and testing this mess?.

Badge

I had this same issue and contacted both sonos support and the company i purchased it from. No reply from sonos support and my retailer let me return it. My roam was going down to 35% without even using it. I even removed google assistant which did not make any difference. I had high hopes for this device, but it did not meet my expectations.

The issue i have now is removing it from the sonos app, i forgot to reset the device to factory settings before returning and now it just shows offline in the sonos app. I have searched in system for remove products but it’s not there. How can i remove it from my products now please

Userlevel 1

same here. I can’t believe the countless reviews haven’t mentioned this issue!