Sonos Play Five and Sony Bravia?

• 30 January 2012
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Is it possible to hook my sonos play 5 to my Sony Bravia television? Just wondering.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes, you can connect to the 3.5mm Line-In jack. Depending on the TV you may need to use a 2xRCA-to-3.5mm cable (IIRC one comes with the Play:5).

Some newer TV's don't output signals received digitally (e.g. via HDMI) via the analog jacks. In that case you'd need to purchase a cheap DAC and use the TV's digital outputs.

Also note that you should turn off the TV's speakers when playing via Sonos. There is a small delay via the Sonos system which produces an unpleasant echo effect if the TV speakers are active.
Userlevel 2
I have mine hooked up to my Bravia. Here's some tips:

Line in settings:
- Turn autoplay on. This will switch the source to TV when the TV is switched on.
- Turn autoplay volume on and set it to a sensible level. This will automatically set the volume when the autoplay kicks in.
- Set the line in level to something quite high. I do this so that the volume of music is roughly the same to that of the TV. I go for something like number 8 (1 being lowest 10 being highest)

On the TV:
- You should have an audio out. Red and White phono leads. As above you need to connect this to the line in using a phono to 3.5 mm jack.
- Go into the tv settings and switch the audio out from TV to audio system. This will mute the TV volume.
- Set the audio output to dynamic, this means that the volume control on the TV will still work and effect the volume on the sonos (increasing WAF - wife acceptance factor)

By the way, the above settings can be found in Setup (I think), perhaps under A/V, not where you'd expect to find them in the obvious place, under Sound!

I found that sound on normal TV isn't much improved, more bass but less stereo. However when a film comes on, in particular in HD, it sounds incredible. Sky box office hd and live streaming from Xbox Zune films sound fantastic.

I have a W4500 by the way.

Nick.
I tried to connect my Play 5 wit h my Sonos Bravia (audio cable) There is a delay in the sound. The helpdesk from Sonos said that the Play 5 is not made for connection to a TV (due to the delay in soun. Only when you use a playbar or playbase, you can only add the Play 5 as a surround speaker (and never as main speaker).
Patrick, The Netherlands