Sonos Play:5 Stopped Working

• 24 March 2019
  • 1 reply

My question is: Can a Play:5 be fixed? My synopsis is below.

I am very disappointed with the quality of Sonos products that was registered in 2016 when I opened. I spent a little more that $500 for a Play:5 (I own a Play:3, a Surround Set and a Connect) and it just stopped working. We tried all the possibel options to get it to work with and without Sonos tech support, but was told it was a "dead" speaker. I was told that nothing can be done, but Sonos would give me a 30% for a new one. But, Sonos wanted the old one. I thought this was strange since it was broken, so I asked why and was told that was part of the deal for the 30% off a "new" speaker. But the speaker is dead! So, I felt like something was not right and asked if the speaker I was going to buy was new. They said no, it was refurbished (should have mentioned that at the start). Now the picture is coming into focus - we can't fix your speaker and send it back you, but we can sell you someone else's "dead" speaker ($349 + tax + shipping), and we'll fix your old one and resell it. So, I pay almost $900 (for the original and refurbished speaker) and they sell my dead one for $349, which gives SONOS a total sale of ~$1275. Wow what great business model - for them. I have never had a speaker die before and I have my grandfathers radio from the 1940's that still works, my Panasonic Blueberry radio from the 1970's and dropped quite often and it still works, and my Fisher stereo speakers which I used everyday to blast my albums. Guess what? Still works! Very suspicious business model. I wonder how many other people have had this issue and resolution proposed.

Why can't my speaker be fixed? Why is the quality so poor? This should not break after 2 years of use for such an expensive speaker and, of course, the warranty is 1 year. What product breaks in the first year?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge
I had the same problem after just 4.5 years. I think that it is ridiculous that a powered speaker at this quality level, would break from normal usage. I have a Yamaha Sound bar that is working great after 10 years, no problem.

This is that I got back from Sonos support. not acceptable

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This player appears to be faulty, and we're happy to send you another unit. Our warranty covers up to a year. Since the Play:5 is out of warranty, we can still get it replaced but it will be at a cost. Your replacement will cost $349 plus local tax. Since we no longer have Play:5 Gen 1 speakers, you will be upgraded to a Play:5 Gen 2. This speaker will also have our guaranteed one year warranty.