Question

Sonos Play 5 (old style) cover

• 14 February 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi,

Anyone know if you can get Sonos Play 5 replacement covers/grilles? I have a few dents in mine. Haven't been able to locate any.

Thanks,

Jon

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Haven't been able to locate any.
It's not designed to be removable. Indeed Sonos have said that attempts to detach it could result in damage. You'll need to talk to Sonos Support.
Userlevel 1
Badge
That would explain it. Thanks. There's a potential revenue stream for them there anyway!
That's the cynical way of looking at things. None of the grilles are designed to be user-removable, and opening the casing would void the warranty.

Whatever Sonos charges is likely to be modest compared to the £236 that Apple evidently demands to replace the home key on an iPhone6s. And nobody's going to threaten to brick your PLAY:5 either.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wasn't bring cynical. I was suggesting that Sonos could create revenue stream by creating different colour grilles (look at Naim Muso), but it's good that they put functionality of product first.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
This company does custom grills and colors for all Sonos gear. You might need to click on the English translation button though:

https://www.luxusschall.de/shop/sonos-cover/coloryoursound-play5-cover/#.VsCmgo-cGAo
Userlevel 3
Badge
... and opening the casing would void the warranty.

Not sure how it works in the UK but in the USA removing a "void warranty" sticker DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT void any warranty. And is in violation of federal warranty law. Namely, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Simply removing a sticker (e.g. opening a product) does not materially change or cause any sort of failure whatsoever. "tying" (The condition of the warranty which "ties" the consumer to specific parts) is illegal and the only reason Sonos is getting away with this is because consumers just don't know their rights. In fact, according to this law consumers are indeed able to open their Sonos devices and even REPLACE PARTS with non OEM parts. Illegally denying warranty claims also creates a monopoly with respects to repair service; yup, creating a monopoly is also illegal.