Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen 2 - unable to connect after reset

• 6 January 2016
  • 6 replies

Can someone advise
I had a problem indexing my music library, in short, the sonos software would not allow me to remove a music share (music folder on my PC desktop) so I decided to uninstall all the controllers on 3 mobile phones and the software on my PC and try again. However, when I re-installed the software on my PC the problem remained. I therefore followed advice on this community and carried out a factory reset on both my Play 1's and my Play 5 (Gen 2). When I tried to follow the instructions to connect to a new system the network will not recognise any of the speakers. I have also tried to connect the Sonos 5 by Ethernet cable directly to the Router, the router detects the Sonos 5 but when the option to connect is selected the installation does not go any further and I am provided a warning that the system could not connect. I have ensured the Firewall is configured to allow Sonos controllers and have turned the firewall (Norton 360) off/disabled. I have also tried switching the PC off and on again and tried turning the router off and on again. I have also tried re-setting the router via the Networking in the PC settings.
What do I try next?

To clarify - when I factory reset I unplugged the device, then plugged it in again whilst holding in the button on the rear for about 10 secs until the light flashed orange.

I don't use a bridge or any other devices, the Sonos worked fine for about 5 days when I first set it up.
icon

Best answer by John B 7 January 2016, 22:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

@Brucey147 - I don't know where on the forum you read to factory reset - that is almost never the right thing to do. Sonos official advice is not to do it as a troubleshooting exercise. But we are where we are and your Sonos system is perfectly capable of working properly again. You have probably wiped your Sonos system registration for a start.

You say you are choosing to "connect to new system". Do you mean you are choosing to connect to an existing system or set up a new system?

Could you try Ethernetting a player to the router again, wait a couple of minutes, then try setting up a new system and opt for BOOST rather than "standard" setup. You can always go fully wireless when things are set up.
Hi John
Thanks for your reply, to clarify I have tried to connect to new system and tried to connect to existing system neither has worked. I suspect I have wiped the system registration.

As previously reported, I have tried connecting directly to the router to set up, and my device worked fine fully wirelessly without the need for a BOOST so I have only tried the standard setup.

Ill give things another go later today.

regards
Boost setup doesn't need a Boost!!! It's the setup procedure to use if you wire any component!! If you wire a speaker and then follow standard setup it will not work.
John - Thanks for clarification on the BOOST process.

Anyhow, latest update. I called SONOS technical this afternoon and received an excellent service from them. They controlled my PC remotely and tried everything to get the Play 5 system working. They succeeded in getting both Play 1 working but conceded the PLay 5 was broken and needs returning for repair under warranty.

Thanks for your advice though!
It's always the simple answer....I'm glad you are getting sorted out. And "Boost setup" is an extremely unhelpful term for Sonos to have chosen, so understandable you misunderstood.
Same problem; Same solution for me.