Sonos Play 5 Aux Line-in

• 24 July 2014
  • 2 replies

I have purchased a Play 5 on, as I wanted to just plug in my iPhone and play through the auxiliary input (I liked the sound quality and will build on the system later). The salesperson in the store told me I could do this. I have wifi but no router, and purchased the speaker only (none of the other 'bits'). However, when I've plugged the iPhone into the aux in, nothing happened. The light flashes but nothing plays. Is it not just plug and play? Do I need to set something up through a network first?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Thanks so much - this worked! I've been searching for the solution for an hour.
Appreciate your post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You have to setup somewhere first because by default it doesn't autoconnect.  They really should make the default autoconnect so that people can use as stand alone speaker out of the box.

Take it somewhere you can plug it into a router and setup the controller app on your iphone.  plug your iphone into the speaker.  Go to settings...room settings and under the line in tab chose autoconnect and the Play:5 as the output.

You can then unhook from Ethernet and it will work as you want it just as a stand alone speaker.