Sonos Play:1 speaker is completely dead. Is it possible to get it repaired?

• 7 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I have 8 Sonos speakers in 5 different rooms in my house, and they have always worked flawlessly. Yesterday I noticed that one of the set of two stereo Play:1 speakers in our bathroom is completely dead. I tried using two other different cables, and I tried it in a different socket, but the speaker is absolutely dead. The white LED doesn't even light up. It's more than 4 years old, so it's definitely outside of the standard 2-year warranty. I'm really disappointed that it's failed completely after less than 5 years, having spent £180 on each of my Play:1 speakers. Does anybody know whether it's worth trying to get it repaired? Is it even possible to get these Play:1 speakers repaired?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

As far as I know, there are no "Sonos authorized" repair facilities. That doesn't mean that some repair shop might not be able to do it, though. I think you'd have to talk to the shop involved, and see if they're interested. Sonos also doesn't publish wiring diagrams that would make it more convenient to work on.

There's a couple of threads in the "advanced" section of this forum that you might take a look at, but these are folks that have opened the speakers up and fixed them on their own, with the knowledge that at that point, they've got no support from Sonos.

Good luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you call Sonos they can sometimes get you a discounted replacement as long as you haven't opened the failed unit.
Hi. Thanks to both of you for your feedback. I just thought I'd post a reply here to let everybody know what I did in the end, in case anybody else finds themself in a similar situation.

Sonos did indeed offer me the option to send my defective unit back, in part-exchange for a refurbished unit. I was initially very pleased with this option. But then when I got the RMA details through, I found out it was going to cost me £109 to get a refurbished one, at which point I became a lot less pleased! £109 is almost as expensive as a brand new Play:1 in retail outlets when they have been on special offer. I know they have been on offer on Amazon not long ago for about £135, and I even read somewhere that they were on sale somewhere else for £100 at some point.

So in the end I ordered a brand new one from Richer Sounds for £149, and that comes with a Richer Sounds 6-year guarantee. In parallel, I sold my old defective unit on eBay for £55. So even after accounting for eBay sellers fees and PayPal sellers fees, it still worked out cheaper for me to do this, and it gives me a brand new unit with a new 6-year guarantee.

I have just filled in the customer satisfaction survey from Sonos. My feedback is that I'm very pleased that they offer customers the option to send back their defective unit in part-exchange for a refurbished one. That's very good for the environment, and Sonos should be praised for this. I really hate to see old electronics products being thrown away or dumped in the general electrical recycling bins, if they can be easily repaired. But Sonos really need to sort out the pricing for this option, to make it more cost-effective for their customers. I really don't think it should be cheaper to get a brand new device and sell the broken one on eBay, compared to sending the device back to be officially refurbished by Sonos. It's not like Sonos have hundreds of different products in their line-up which they would have to manage, I think they only have a dozen or so products. I'm sure that many people don't even realize that they could sell their defective Sonos speaker on eBay, so a lot of people probably just throw them away if they're broken. If somebody on eBay has figured out a way of repairing these products, or at least re-using all the parts which still work, then surely Sonos themselves should be able to figure this out and make the whole process more cost-effective than it is today.

Come on Sonos, you can do better than this. You have a lot of very loyal customers out there, who have invested significant amounts of money in the Sonos ecosystem (I have spent about £1500 in total). You could further increase customer satisfaction and loyalty, and improve your environmental credentials, by making this process more cost-effective for those customers who suffer the unfortunate (and hopefully rare) experience of a failed Sonos product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't understand why Sonos can't offer to bundle an extended warranty from a place like Square Trade. Four years worry free is a lot better than a year and hopes of a discount on a replacement.