Answered

Sonos Play:1 and Google Home. What to do?

• 18 January 2018
  • 6 replies

I own the Sonos play:1 and just ordered Google Home mini without good thinking.

I did some research and found out that the Google Assistant will be supported on Sonos One in 2018. (Does this mean that I don't need an external Google Home device? Or that I just can control the Sonos One with my Google Home device?)

But will I be able to use the Google Home mini to voice control my Sonos Play:1?
If not, should I :
-replace the Google Home mini with the Amazon Echo dot?
Or
-Invest in the Sonos one and use no external voice control devices?

Other suggestions and tips are always welcome.
Thanks for answering.
icon

Best answer by Kumar 18 January 2018, 15:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Whenever Sonos does extend support to Google, you will be able to control the play 1 with the Google Mini. And the Sonos One, that has a built in mic, without the Mini.
So Google Home assistant will NOT be available for the Sonos Play, because it requires cables ? ? I just read that Google Home assistant will only work for music streaming (no other functions as assistant) and with cables? If this is the case, disappointing. Can someone confirm ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is fairly incorrect. When Sonos adds google home support you will be able to tell the Google Home device to play any music services supported by Google Home to the Google Speaker. All other Google Home assistant speech will come from the Google Home itself.

You will be able to say "Hey Google Play Bruno Mars to Kitchen". Then assuming you have a Sonos device you named kitchen it will play the music to the Sonos device (from whatever service you have setup on the Google Home).

Now there is also the Sonos One (which is a Play:1 with Voice assistant built in). IN that case the Sonos One will be able to hear you say "Hey Google" and not only play music but also respond to any other queries with the voice assistant voice coming out of the Sonos One speaker. But that is because the assistant is built in the speaker.
Thank you. Do you know if Alexa and Google assistant will work simultaneously on Sonos One (which I just bought) ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you. Do you know if Alexa and Google assistant will work simultaneously on Sonos One (which I just bought) ?

There haven't been any details from Sonos with regards to having both active at the same time. Personally, I think that this would be great but I expect that it will one or the other.
Thanks