Answered

SONOS OUTDOOR SPEAKERS

• 30 April 2017
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 2
When will SONOS introduce outdoor speakers?
icon

Best answer by Peagle 5 February 2019, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Ok, so Sonos does not have an outdoor wireless speaker, are they working on one? Sonos Product Development, can you provide some insight here?

Sonos hasn't made an official announcement to say that they are. Nothing has changed since last month. Well actually, I'd say it's even more unlikely to happen in the several months as Sonos is unlikely to hurt sales of the Sonos amp and Sonance speakers by providing a similar product.

Options to put Sonos outside appears to be 1) Carry a wireless one outside and power it up 2) use their wired speakers (whenever they start shipping), but you would need to pull speaker wire through walls and connect to the AMP (assuming this is an existing built house, that is alot of effort, alot!!). Did I miss any other options?

Yes, you can use any other outdoor speakers with the Sonos Amp (or Connect + 3rd party amp). You do have to wire in both cases though.

Has anyone seen or created any other solutions to?

Some folks have ignored warnings and put Sons wireless speakers outside anyway. If you live in a favorable climate, having them covered, and willing to take the risk, it's an option

I personally use an amp with passive outdoor speakers. If that wasn't an option for whatever reason, I would have gone with a bluetooth speaker or just moved sonos outside.
Ok, so Sonos does not have an outdoor wireless speaker, are they working on one? Sonos Product Development, can you provide some insight here? Options to put Sonos outside appears to be 1) Carry a wireless one outside and power it up 2) use their wired speakers (whenever they start shipping), but you would need to pull speaker wire through walls and connect to the AMP (assuming this is an existing built house, that is alot of effort, alot!!). Did I miss any other options? Has anyone seen or created any other solutions to?
to have to pulöl wires is just so against what the product stands for. I could accept if I wanted to use my own speakers,, But to have to pull wire for a sonos speaker I JUST DONT GET IT. Are they giving up on the product concept???Er... Sonos' first ever product was the ZP100 .... a unit that was wireless from the router, and from which you ran wires to your own passive speakers. The latest incarnation of this concept is the Sonos Amp. Whether those passive speakers are indoors or outdoors, or endorsed by Sonos in some way or not, is irrelevant. As @melvimbe says, Sonos have never given the faintest hint that they were planning an active, wireless outdoor speaker, and have not built one. I think you may be waiting for that product for a long time yet.
Certified working component package for installers, what's not to love about it if you're in the business?

just read the announcement of the new sonos outdoor speaker... and I am just jus so disappointed. I have waited for this product for so long and to have to pulöl wires is just so against what the product stands for. I could accept if I wanted to use my own speakers,, But to have to pull wire for a sonos speaker I JUST DONT GET IT. Are they giving up on the product concept???

Sonos annouced the partnership to produce these passive speakers several months ago. I don't know why you would expect they'd be something other than passive speakers. It's not the product you wanted, but Sonos never said they were building that product. They said they were going to make this one and here it is.

No, they are not giving up on the concept, they're just capitalizing on their brand name, and realizing that many Sonos customers would prefer to wire passive speakers outdoors (or in ceilings) so there is no concerned about wiring for power or dealing with battery life.

Would it be fair to assume it is the Mariner 86 speakers then with the same specs like the 8" inch woofer and dimensions of 9.01" x 14.02 x 8.58" that Sonos will have on this website?

I would not make that assumption personally. It's entirely possible, but if the dimensions are important to you, I'd hold off purchase till more information is available.

I would be more concerned if it was the smaller Sonance model like the mariner 64 or 66. I would be hoping Sonos do not rip us loyal customers off and it should be the same price as the Sonance website and it should be the mariner 86 model with the 8" woofer

just read the announcement of the new sonos outdoor speaker... and I am just jus so disappointed. I have waited for this product for so long and to have to pulöl wires is just so against what the product stands for. I could accept if I wanted to use my own speakers,, But to have to pull wire for a sonos speaker I JUST DONT GET IT. Are they giving up on the product concept???
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Would it be fair to assume it is the Mariner 86 speakers then with the same specs like the 8" inch woofer and dimensions of 9.01" x 14.02 x 8.58" that Sonos will have on this website?

I would not make that assumption personally. It's entirely possible, but if the dimensions are important to you, I'd hold off purchase till more information is available.

I would be more concerned if it was the smaller Sonance model like the mariner 64 or 66. I would be hoping Sonos do not rip us loyal customers off and it should be the same price as the Sonance website and it should be the mariner 86 model with the 8" woofer

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
On the Sonance website the Mariner 86 speakers are priced at $799, the same as this Sonance speakers specially made with Sonos on the Sonos website.

Thanks. Just saw the new product announcement but appears it is just for wired passive speakers. might just get a sonos one and carry it back and forth. my connect does have room for another pair of speakers to be wired but i really have no interest in drilling yet another hole in my 100+ year old bricks. i have no problem getting wifi signal on my porch. The "problem" i am having is really that i can't talk to a powered, outdoor speaker from my Sonos, except as you suggest through BT. Not sure if i can talk through BT from inside to outside. When i power my ueboom from my phone, it needs to be fairly close. Guess i'm w/ the guy above a few comments that had hoped for basically a toughened up version of the Sonos One that would be happy living outdoors. Thanks again.
My impression of Sonance is that all of their speakers are priced at a premium. They don’t appear to be a “bargain” brand, but do serve a certain market.
$799 for an outdoor speaker? Really? That's ridiculous.

I can't disagree with that. I did a quick price comparison with other outdoor and in-ceiling speakers and this would be at the very top. So they have to be very, very good, or Sonos expected this to be for those who don't care about price at all.
Userlevel 3
$799 for a pair of outdoor speakers and you have to buy a Sonos Amp too? Really? That's ridiculous.
Userlevel 7
Thank you. So the only solution is still to go bluetooth? other than running a cable and drilling a hole through the house. or dragging it out and back in. I guess I didn't do enough research when we bought Sonos. I never imagined we wouldn't be able to set up for a powered wifi speaker outside if we wanted to expand.

To be clear...

You will require a Sonos Connect which may be a 2nd unit.

This next part is a very big IF: If the speakers are not completely exposed you could run RCA weather resistant cable (see link) Line-in to the speakers from a Line-out of a 2nd Sonos Connect that is shielded from the elements or only use it when weather permits.

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SMRCA6-Channel-Waterproof-Interconnect/dp/B00DZXKOAA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1549383475&sr=8-15&keywords=Rca+Connector+Waterproof

You would also run weather resistant Ethernet Cat5e from the Connect around the outside of your home to the boost (which would most likely require drilling to reach the boost ). Just thinking outside of the box :8

All the above assumes the speakers can't be reached via BT.

Cheers!
I'm disappointed. They are really nothing more than what I have connected to my Connect driven receiver currently. And are 15 times the cost. Quick and easy way out for Sonos, and not even close to what everyone has been asking for for years.

The speakers do allow for trueplay (not mentioned on the outdoor ones though), and I couldn't really tell whether they are worth the price. I get that it's not what you and many other posters wanted, but I don't see why you'd be disappointed by this. Sonos never said they were going to provide powered outdoor speakers, possibly with battery, but they did announce they were going to partner with Sonance for passive speakers.

The price does seem high to me, but again, little mention of the quality, or even dimensions for that matter. I would guess that this is mostly geared towards professional installations, where perhaps paying a premium isn't that big of a concern. Sonos said they talked with installers regarding the design of the Amp, hopefully they consulted on this as well.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Is the Amp driving the new speakers inside or outside? I was hoping for a “sonos ONE” outdoor speaker, i.e. a toughened up sonos one.
I'm disappointed. They are really nothing more than what I have connected to my Connect driven receiver currently. And are 15 times the cost. Quick and easy way out for Sonos, and not even close to what everyone has been asking for for years.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Sonos + Sonance outdoor speakers announced
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/5/18211731/sonos-sonance-amp-outdoor-speaker-price-release-date
Thank you. So the only solution is still to go bluetooth? other than running a cable and drilling a hole through the house. or dragging it out and back in. I guess I didn't do enough research when we bought Sonos. I never imagined we wouldn't be able to set up for a powered wifi speaker outside if we wanted to expand.
Userlevel 7
Hi CMurry

If the powered speakers have a line-in you could incorporate a BT transceiver unit with a Sonos Connect as follows:

_BT receiver to line-in of speakers
_BT transmitter from Line-out of Sonos Connect (assuming it isn't used with your receiver)

The question becomes whether or not BT can penetrate the walls of your home? In any event you'll need a Sonos Connect. If I have missed something let me know.

Cheers!
I have a Sonos Boost connected to my house router and a Sonos Connect hardwired to a receiver and two wired floor speakers. I would like my Sonos to also talk to powered wireless speakers outside. I already have power outside and I do not want to run more wires from inside to outside because my house is over 100 years old and I would have to drill through 4 layers of brick plus plaster. My Connect is very close to the front door and should not have trouble talking to speakers on the front porch. Are there still no good solutions to this?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
If it would increase Sonos’s revenue they would manufacture an outdoor speaker. They’re research and development looked into it I’m sure, but concluded such a product wouldn’t sell as needed; at least, for now.
Hi There,

I installed a couple Sonos 1's last November under a covered deck, flanking the hot tub. They've survived snow, rain, humidity and freezing temps here in Langley, BC. No direct exposure to weather, however i believe they are very resiliant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Connect Amp or a Connect and stand-alone amp work really well to power water / weather proof outside speakers and give you a lot of flexibility in setting them up.

If you are thinking multi-speaker mono the stand-alone amp might be a good option.
LOVE my Sonos!!! Getting a pool put into the new house and would love to add SONOS outside..