Sonos One vs Play 1

• 5 October 2017
  • 26 replies

Can somebody explain the difference in terms of output/quality of sound, etc? I understand that Sonos One has Alexa included but if that is the only difference why are they the same price? I ask this as I was thinking of purchasing a stereo pair for another room. I have an old Connect and Play 5 at the moment and I am still using the old Sonos Controler.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Sonos One doesn't have a mounting bracket, like the PLAY:1, so it depends on how your stands work.

Even on my desktop I have 1 speakers on Flexson desktop stands because they elevate the drivers closer to ear levels and look very cool while doing so; and they need the mounting capability of the 1 for secure mounting. Lack of a mounting bracket is a curious miss, and perhaps the most important reason to pick a play 1 over the new arrival.
If I were buying at this point, given that they're both the same price, I'd get the Sonos One, since it apparently not only has the Alexa device in it, but also the future ability to be an Airplay 2 device.

I suspect that if there were a price difference, I'd have to think more, but since they're the same price, I'd absolutely go with the Sonos One.

If there wAs a price difference, we'd have poeple complaining less about the Alexa implementation and more about the price. Wouldn't affect them amount of complaints (or complainers), it would just shift the target. 😉
Sorry, it's a Bridge that I have, NOT a Connect.
Badge
really good question. I have 2 fives and a connect. I was thinking of giving my son a Play one for Christmas, but now i'm not sure what to do. I don't think he will care about selecting a song via voice command vs from his Iphone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos stated in a different thread that there is virtually no difference in the audio quality between a Play:1 and Sonos:1
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And Play 1's are remarkably good for their size, especially when set up as stereo pair with a sub
really good question. I have 2 fives and a connect. I was thinking of giving my son a Play one for Christmas, but now i'm not sure what to do. I don't think he will care about selecting a song via voice command vs from his Iphone.

They are the same price, and there is nothing forcing you to enable the Alexa functionality. If you never enable the functionality, it will operate exactly like a Play:1 (sans mounting hole).
Sons stated in a different thread that there is virtually no difference in the audio quality between a Play:1 and Sonos:1
Where do they say this? Link please.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sons stated in a different thread that there is virtually no difference in the audio quality between a Play:1 and Sonos:1
Where do they say this? Link please.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/introducing-the-new-sonos-one-6791304/index1.html#post16149491
If I were buying at this point, given that they're both the same price, I'd get the Sonos One, since it apparently not only has the Alexa device in it, but also the future ability to be an Airplay 2 device.

I suspect that if there were a price difference, I'd have to think more, but since they're the same price, I'd absolutely go with the Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
They both sound great, personally, I can't really tell a difference in the audio quality, but maybe I'm a bad judge (too many concerts). I've heard that the bass sounds a bit better on the Sonos One, but I don't know if I've noticed that myself.

Strictly speaking, there are 2 components that are the same between the PLAY:1 and the Sonos One. That would be the power cord and the base of the unit. Everything else is different.
Sonos stated in a different thread that there is virtually no difference in the audio quality between a Play:1 and Sonos:1

They said sound quality will be at the "same level" not that there would be no difference. Elsewhere they have said the Sonos One will have a little more bass as it has a bigger magnet.
They both sound great, personally, I can't really tell a difference in the audio quality, but maybe I'm a bad judge (too many concerts). I've heard that the bass sounds a bit better on the Sonos One, but I don't know if I've noticed that myself.

Strictly speaking, there are 2 components that are the same between the PLAY:1 and the Sonos One. That would be the power cord and the base of the unit. Everything else is different.

So accessories should fit like stands?

I pre-ordered two Sonos One but Airplay 2 is also supposed to work on the Play 1 and other current devices.
Sonos freeing us up from the proprietary app finally got me to make the move.
Heh. Yes, it will be played across the network to a PLAY:1, assuming that you have a newer device to receive the Airplay 2 signal, which as I understand it currently, is only in the PLAYBASE and Sonos One devices.

Think of the Airplay 2 as a Line-in. You have to have the device that has the line-in, but once it's in the Sonos ecosystem, then all speakers can play the data.

As for stands, it's been stated elsewhere that the Sonos One doesn't have a speaker post, so it will require specific stands dissimilar to the current ones for the PLAY:1. Ryan S has pointed out that Sanus has already got one out, or almost out, and it can be seen on their website, but it doesn't function the same way as the ones for the PLAY:1s do.

If I decide to buy a Sonos One (and I've been on the order page at least 3 times in the last 24 hours, ready to commit), I'll probably wait for Flexson to come out with something before I take a decision on which to purchase. I currently have a plethora of various Flexson stands, and am quite pleased with the design and quality. But I'm unwilling to say that they'll be better than Sanus for the Sonos One. I'll wait till they announce, and make a judgement at that point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sonos One doesn't have a mounting bracket, like the PLAY:1, so it depends on how your stands work.

Good to know. When preordering Sonos also offers some stands so those must work.
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sanus-floor-stand-pair-play1-play3-one-black.html
Interesting. A big functional requirement of any stand is making sure that the speaker/stand does not fall down in typical use at home, so it would be useful to see how that will be accomplished with these stands, particularly for the One.
They are also showing these wall mounts. I don't actually need stands right away myself was just wondering if they had to be be different from Play 1 stands.
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sanus-wall-mount-pair-play1-play3-one-black.html
I'm like Kumar, I really like the desktop stands for the PLAY:1 that Flexson produces. Which is why I'll be waiting a bit for them to bring out their own stands before making a decision between Sanus and Flexson.
Badge
Hi all,

I'm new, and I don't understand half of what is said in this community space, which I must say is quite frustrating, since there is no other possibility to get in touch with Sonos and get straight answers that leave no doubt.

I received my very first Sonos One as a present. It's a very valuable present to me because it was given by someone I care about. For that reason I would want to put an effort into making it work and purchase additional Sonos products to develop a full-fleshed Sonos sound system in my new home (the reason I think why I was given this present...).

But before I convert to Sonos and decide to invest hundreds and hunders of pounds, I really need crystal clear ansers to the following three questions:

1. Why would I spend 50 pounds more for another Sonos One instead of purchasing the Play 1? I read that the base is slightly better, but is this worth a 50 pounds? What else could convince me to go for the next Sonos One? The voice service appears useless in Italy where I live...

2. I read that it's not possible to stereo-pair a Sonos One with a Sonos Play 1, which obviously would be a very good reason for me to go for another Sonos One instead of a Sones Play 1. Yet Sonos claims that it allows you to build a home sound system that connects all of its products into one system and delivers all of the music on Earth in every room of your house... Please remove all my doubts: Is it --or is it not-- possible to connect a Sonos One to other Sonos products, including a Sonos Play 1, in order to build a stereo sound system?

3. What additional Sonos divices pairable with my frst Sonos One would I need to have good stereo music in two rooms?

I'm not a Geek and I'm trying hard to wrap my head around all this, so PLEASE use language that a simple dummie beginner like me can understand!

Thank you so much!
You can connect it just fine with any Sonos system. You can group it together with any other Sonos device ever made to play the same thing in perfect sync. The only thing you cannot do is pair two unlike models together as a stereo or surround pair, i.e. so one plays the left channel and the other plays the right channel of a stereo or surround pair. This is exactly the same as all other models, you cannot pair a Play:3 and a Play:1, or even a Play:5 Gen 1 and a Play:5 Gen 2 as stereo or surround sound pairs
Badge
So basically, I could build a simultaneous stereo system with two Sonos One speakers in my living room and two Sonos Play 1 speakers in my bedroom, and then with the app choose to either play them all together, or to only play one of the two stereo pairs?
You could stereo pair both Sonos Ones, and stereo pair both PLAY:1s. Then, using the controller app, you could "group" both stereo pairs so that they were playing the same thing at the same time. Or, each pair could be playing different music. Your choice.
Badge
okay many thanks!