Answered

Sonos ONE unable to play music from Music Library (Playbar works fine)

• 25 October 2017
  • 23 replies

Badge
My new Sonos ONE is unable to playback any music from my network source Music Library \\server\music.

I already had a Playbar and that still works fine with the same Music Library.

Interestingly, if I first start playing on the Playbar, and later add the Sonos ONE as an output, the ONE will also start playing fine from the network source! However, if starting out with just the ONE, or starting with both Playbar and ONE at the same time, it doesn't work. This is very repeatable.

Anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas about a resolution? Or is it just one of many ONE bugs?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 26 October 2017, 23:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Like the pun, well done.

Can I recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at?
Badge
Thanks Bruce. I've submitted a support request directly as well.
Diagnostic #7999432
Great, let's hope someone from Sonos swings by to look at that soon.
Badge
Hi all, I thought you might be interested to know; I have had a response from SONOS customer service. They have told me the SONOS ONE does NOT support playback from a Music Library. Whey trying to playback you get the error "Unable to play //server/music/file.flac cannot be found". But it works fine on for example Playbar.

SONOS customer service: "Playing the music library is not compatible with the integration of SONOS ONE with Alexa."

So, you want Alexa or your own music? I guess I will go with my music.:@

This choice certainly was not clear to me from the marketing of the ONE. What do you think?
Based on the marketing of the ONE I expected all core functionality of the SONOS eco-system to be supported, which to me clearly includes being able to add my own music to play on SONOS. Apparently Alexa has other plans for SONOS. :?
You can most certainly play your own music on a Sonos One using the Sonos app. You just can't initiate playback of local music using Alexa voice control, though you can perform basic controls; pause, resume, skip, previous, volume, etc. with Alexa after initiating playback via the Sonos app.

Your problem seems to be one of an improper path to your library or the PC housing the library is asleep.
Badge
You can most certainly play your own music on a Sonos One using the Sonos app. You just can't initiate playback of local music using Alexa voice control, though you can perform basic controls; pause, resume, skip, previous, volume, etc. with Alexa after initiating playback via the Sonos app.

Your problem seems to be one of an improper path to your library or the PC housing the library is asleep.

Thanks for the reply. In several other threads it seems that it works for all (most?) people.

Sonos Customer support is telling me it shouldn't work....I've asked for clarification.

If I have news I will post it back to this thread to tie everything up.
In the mean time let's use this thread as it seems it's likely just a mis-config or error on my end somewhere:
https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/can-t-add-music-folder-from-my-computer-computer-not-responding-6790045/index1.html#post16159853
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi helheimr, I can confirm it should work fine for you.

I'm taking a look at the diagnostic and it looks like SMB might be disabled on the device that's holding that library. It's odd though, since you said the PLAYBAR is playing fine from that same source.

Can you check to make sure that SMB1 is turned on just to make sure?

Edit: I just noticed in your other thread you'd checked on SMB. Can you just do a reboot on that Sonos One?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I know you're also working with the technician over email, so I don't want to convolute troubleshooting. If you haven't yet, I'd suggest that you try two things. First off, can you remove and then re-add the music library within your Sonos controller? If that is successful, go ahead and try this out.

If that doesn't to do the trick, I'd suggest that you factory reset your Sonos One, then add it back in anew.
Badge
Hi Ryan S,

Thank you so much for your support and clearing this up.

I apologize if I caused confusion; since it always worked with the Playbar, but not on the ONE, and Sonos Customer support confirmed to me (as I read it) that it wouldn't work I drew the wrong conclusion.

I will try all your troubleshooting tips!

So far I've tried rebooting the ONE, which didn't help. I will post any progress.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I totally understand the confusion, and I'd be upset too. I'm happy to help you get your new toy up and running. I know how it is when things aren't working right.

Let me know how it goes.
Badge
So far I've tried:
- reboot: no change
- remove library and add it again: no change
- factory reset: no change

I have also confirmed that SMB 1.0 is used when I play back using the Sonos Playbar (IP: 192.168.1.97)

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-smbsession -sessionid 2525507879569 | select-object -property *
SmbInstance : Default
ClientComputerName : 192.168.1.97
ClientUserName : DOMAIN\USER
ClusterNodeName :
Dialect : 1.01
NumOpens : 11
ScopeName : *
SecondsExists : 1029
SecondsIdle : 38
SessionId : 2525507879569
TransportName : \Device\NetbiosSmb
PSComputerName :
CimClass : ROOT/Microsoft/Windows/SMB:MSFT_SmbSession
CimInstanceProperties : {ClientComputerName, ClientUserName, ClusterNodeName, Dialect...}
CimSystemProperties : Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimSystemProperties

I am unable to detect any SMB connection from the ONE.

I do notice in the "About My Sonos System" that both units are on 8.1 but that they have a different build number (ONE is lower), but I guess that makes sense since they are 2 different products?

Will now go ahead and try the factory reset.
EDIT: no luck with the factory reset. Will continue troubleshooting tomorrow...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details! That's really great.

I'd love to take a look at a new diagnostic tomorrow when you have a chance.

My best advice though, is to give us a call on our support line. Let's take a look at this live with you. A technician can remote into your computer and run some tests to see why your Sonos One can't find it.
Badge
Thanks Ryan S,

So, progress today!
I have used new computer (Windows 10) to add the Music Library. On this new computer it works for both Playbar and ONE!

Somehow on the other computer it only works for Playbar, not the ONE. No idea why, but for me the problem is "resolved". Since the "new" computer is just a VM running on the other computer its a bit annoying in terms of overhead but not as bad as an actual physical computer.

In earlier testing I have also tried to disconnect the Playbar from power and only use the ONE on the network to determine if there was any interaction between Playbar and ONE. I also removed and re-added the Music Library in this state (without Playbar on the network). All of this made no difference.

It seems to me there is some subtle difference in how the ONE and Playbar handles the SMB interaction causing this issue. Most likely something with authentication?

The Sonos technical support contact by e-mail has confirmed the information they supplied initially was misleading.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad it's "working". That's still odd to me and I'd want to look on the main build to see what's up. Something up with the sharing or security settings has to be it. Any chance there's a firewall blocking SMB to/from that player?

Again, our apologies for any confusion and please let me know if I can help with anything else.
I have the same problem. Playbars and connect access the library fine. My Play 1's seem to be able to see the library (add to queue fine) but will not play any song?...I have reset the Play 1's and readded the library with no luck...
Have also tried removing and adding library on a windows 10 computer with no luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Could you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number, John?
Hello All,

I'm also experiencing the same issue.

My Setup:
Sonos Play 1 (kitchen)
2 Sonos Play 5 (stereopair in livingroom)
Library consist of a SMB share on a synology 916 and another share on Windows Server 2012 R2 machine.
All Players are on the same network. The windows share is on the same network the synology share is on a remote location connected by site2site VPN.

Playing from the synology share is no problem. Playing music from the Windows share is only possible from the Play 1 or if I start playing on the Play one and group both rooms.

Things I tried so far:
- rebooting both Play5's
- factory reset on both Play5's
- disable windows firewall on the Windows Server
- Get-SMBSession on Windows server only shows connections from the Play1
- submitted diagnostic (nr: 8044968)

Things used to work fine. After the last software update (8.1) it suddenly stopped working.

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

Did some extra research but no luck:
- removed and readded windows share
- removed several windows updates which where installed recently.

I think the Play5's cannot reach the Windows (SMB) service. But I have no idea what is causing this.

Please help.
I think you're going to need to wait for a Sonos rep to look at the diagnostic you've submitted. I can't come up with any explanation that makes any sense based on the information you've provided. Or, you might want to try their 24/7 contact options, see www.sonos.com/contact
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, we have a customer provided solution here which seems to be working out great.
Thnx Ryan. Disabling SMB signing did the trick for me. Sonos Play 5 is now working again.

Strange thing though is that I have SMB singing enabled for a couple of years now and it was always fine. Since this is a bit of a security issue I was wondering if Sonos will fix this in a future update?
Yes Disabling SMB signing worked for me also. Play1’s back up and running.