Sonos ONE SL pair echo/delay

I have a pair of Sonos One SL speakers; They are paired in my living room/kitchen area (same room 20 feet apart), and have a delay between them resulting in an echo or a “singing in a round” effect.

I listen tonmusic less frequently now, it occurs intermittently and when it does I spend 15 minutes searching the internet, troubleshooting and searching for a solution before I give up and resign myself to a music-less sad life. It drives me crazy and makes me not want to buy another SONOS product. 

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unpairing them as a stereo pair and unplug them from power for about a minute. Then plug them back in and re-pair them.

I’d recommend grouping, rather than pairing these speakers. Pairing should really only be done when the speakers are ohysically in the same room. 

Pairing should really only be done when the speakers are physically in the same room. 

They are in the same room. 

Try unpairing them as a stereo pair and unplug them from power for about a minute. Then plug them back in and repair them.

I have done this multiple times. I have even reset the speakers by holding down the button on the back until they blink a certain color...Eventually, the speakers revert to the echo. The problem is intermittent.

My apologies, I misread that as being one in the living room, one in the kitchen.

There is always a finite travel of sound through air, and was concerned that the right or left, depending on where you stand, might sound a bit delayed. Ideal listening for a stereo pair of speakers is when they’re equidistant from your ears. However, if those speakers were instead “grouped”, you wouldn’t notice a delay as much, as each would be playing the same signal, and as you traveled between the two, they would change in distance from your ears proportionally with a full signal, rather than simply a disparate left and right. 

. However, if those speakers were instead “grouped,” you wouldn’t notice a delay as much, as each would be playing the same signal, and as you traveled between the two,.. 

How do you group them rather than pair them?

Userlevel 7

. However, if those speakers were instead “grouped,” you wouldn’t notice a delay as much, as each would be playing the same signal, and as you traveled between the two,.. 

Take a look at this article on how to group speakers or rooms:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US

Loss of sync can result from faulty hardware. If it occurs one way round (B grouped with A) but not the other (A grouped with B) it would support this hypothesis.

Submit a system diagnostic, note the number and call Sonos Support. Such issues leave clear tracks in the internal logs.

Take a look at this article on how to group speakers or rooms:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US

This did the trick. Thanks for the insight!

I have the same problem (intermittent echo / delay between paired speakers), and I want the stereo effect (Ie paired, not grouped). What to do?

First, try a reboot / power cycle of the two speakers in question. This will force a reload of the OS, and might fix a timing issue between the two. 

In order to “pair’ a matching set of Sonos speakers, you would follow these instructions. Note, however, that this does require a matching set, you can not stereo pair a One and a Roam, for instance.