Question

Sonos One plays audio movie

• 22 January 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +3
Is it possibile, by mean of an official (or less official) way, to split somehow the audio and the video source in order to play the video on the tv and the audio on my Sonos One?
If I cast a movie from a pc with plex/kodi to the smart/chromecasted tv it works fine, but I would also like the Sonos One to play the audio source of the movie instead of (or together with) the tv speakers. Is it possible?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
It is possible. With a Playbar or Playbase.
Badge +3
that's why I specified "Sonos One" 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A connect or Play 5 added to your system and linked to you TV? There are ways to Play Chromcast on Sonos too, which is your best bet.

There is the rather complicated:-
clicky

But as above, Sonos make two very good products for this very purpose 😃
Badge +3

There is the rather complicated:-
clicky

Ok this is cool, but not what I was looking for.
I mean:
_I can cast music to the Sonos One from a pc
_I can cast a movie to the tv (smart or equipped with a chromecast) with kodi/plex
_why can't I cast the video source of the movie to the tv and the audio source to the Sonos One?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Because you can't split the sound and vision(not as far as i am aware) and your TV can't cast the audio?
Badge +3
What does it mean "you can't"? Audio and video are technically splittable, you can also choose, for example, the language or the codec audio track you prefer while you are casting a movie. Maybe there's not the software which allows you to do that, but it doesn't seem an hardware matter to me...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As in you, you the person can't find a way to split the two. That does not mean it is not possible. Sonos go down the easy route of providing a Play product that takes optical audio output or in the case of the connect and play 5 a line in. There are probably other ways, and maybe someone will be along shortly to enlighten us.