Answered

Sonos One not working on my m1 Mac mini through Airplay 2

Create a new topic because Sonos One not working on m1 Mac mini through Airplay | Sonos Community was marked as answered incorrectly.

Could anyone confirm that Sonos is not compatible with M1 Mac? Just got a new mac mini, but I can’t Airplay music to my Sonos One

Thank you

icon

Best answer by kai1024 20 June 2021, 18:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Posted in wrong area, apologies

Badge +20

I have an M1 Mac Mini with Big Sur 11.4… plays fine to a pair of Sonos One speakers using Airplay 2. Saying that there are loads of reports of users across the internet of not being able to Airplay and not just limited to Sonos speakers.

Worthwhile checking you have the latest Big Sur and Sonos updates as a starting point. 

It works fine on my old Intel Macbook as well, not on my M1 Mac mini. But this doesn’t mean M1 is the only variable: also, not all M1 users are complaining about Sonos compatibility though. 

I’m talking to Apple about the issue now, see if it’s a hardware or software issue of my Mac Mini. 

I have an M1 Mac Mini with Big Sur 11.4… plays fine to a pair of Sonos One speakers using Airplay 2. Saying that there are loads of reports of users across the internet of not being able to Airplay and not just limited to Sonos speakers.

Worthwhile checking you have the latest Big Sur and Sonos updates as a starting point. 

Thanks, that’s good to know. I have Big Sur 11.4, which is the latest OS version. See if Apple could find any issue with my Mac Mini 

I was asked by Apple Support to restart both my Mac Mini and my two Sonos One, problem now has been fixed :joy:  

I had tried to restart my Mac Mini a few times, but never thought about restarting Sonos.

Unfortunately, I’m in the middle of moving right now, so I can’t do any testing, but I’m delighted to hear that there is a potential solution. In a day or two, when I’m able to get an internet connection set up, I’ll double check this. For now, I’m limited to this iPhone. 

Same issue with my M1 MacBook Air… With my old intel MacBook Pro it’s flawless.

It can work if you restart your computer but, it will work only few instants. If you want to use ... lets say Spotify on your Sonos device the Airplay capability will not work anymore and you need to restart your computer again to use Airplay. It’s definitely look like some issue on the Apple Side. It’s very boring and basically unusable. I like to listen some YouTube live via airplay… or using my Move to listen quickly the music I made on my music production software ...

Badge

Just got off the phone with executive support at Sonos.

Yes, it’s a bug.

And Sonos refuses to take responsibility, despite the fact that they advertise Airplay compatibility and are happy to have folks waste hours on tech calls and on this board, instead of simply saying, “well, it doesn’t work with the M1 yet.”

There’s a lot to be said for clarity and humility in software.

Leaving this note here so others won’t waste a lot of time being unpaid beta testers for Sonos.

It’s simply buggy.

If it’s a bug, wouldn’t that mean it’s on Apple’s side? If it works on all other Macs and iOS devices, and just not on M1 macs, it’s hard to conceive that it would be on Sonos’ plate to fix. Unless I’m misunderstanding the nature of the issue. 

Badge

Apple is selfish and short-sighted, but when you say you work with something, you either need to work with it or clearly state that you don’t.

Apple doesn’t monitor this board and the tech support lines, but Sonos does.

Given that all the Macs they’re going to be shipping going forward are a problem, it might even be worth mentioning to people before they buy a Sonos, instead of blithely stating “Airplay2 compatible.”

Full disclosure: I have no direct experience with this issue.

There have been cases where Apple was making some changes to or dropping an API and gave 3rd party developers advance notice and access to beta versions. Developers updated their App’s and were prepared for the new version rollout. Unfortunately, late in the game Apple made a little change without notice. As a result, on day one of the new Apple release 3rd party App’s that had been tested failed. Of course the Apple owned App’s worked fine. User ire was directed toward the victimized 3rd parties that had to scramble. Public sentiment leans toward assuming Apple is perfect and any issues are the fault of 3rd parties. My experience has been that “new improved” Apple rollouts are frequently flawed and there is an emergency update within a week or two.