Answered

Sonos One not working on m1 Mac mini through Airplay

When connected to Sonos One using Airplay (via system sound setting), there is no sound at all. 

this works: Intel Macbook pro 

does not work: m1 Mac mini

icon

Best answer by jstol 6 August 2021, 17:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Since the Sonos works with the intel Mac, the issue is somewhere on Apple’s side of things, not Sonos’. 

Badge

Also having this issue with my Roam and  M1 MacBook Air.

not working on mine as well. just got an M1

Since the Sonos works with the intel Mac, the issue is somewhere on Apple’s side of things, not Sonos’. 

So???? Nothing to do from Sonos’ perspective if Sonos is not compatible with Apple M1 chip? That would be shame.  

Sonos not working on my new mac mini neither. I don’t find too much complain on the internet about Sonos and M1 compatibility issue, so not sure if this only happens to a few Sonos users

If the AirPlay 2 signal from an M1 Mac doesn’t match the published specs for an AirPlay 2 signal, which is what I assume Sonos designed for, than there isn’t much Sonos can do about it.  Sonos is merely a receiver of the data, and if the signal is incorrect, then Apple needs to make it match the previously published AirPlay 2 specs. 

If the AirPlay 2 signal from an M1 Mac doesn’t match the published specs for an AirPlay 2 signal, which is what I assume Sonos designed fir, than there isn’t much Sonos can do about it.  Sonos is merely a receiver of the data, and if the signal is incorrect, then Apple needs to make it match the correctly published AirPlay 2 specs. There isn’t much that Sonos can do about that. 

“If the AirPlay 2 signal from an M1 Mac doesn’t match the published specs for an AirPlay 2 signal”. Do you have a link to this? Please don’t mislead community members if you cannot source what you say.   

If this is true, that basically kills AirPlay 2 on M1 Mac. I don’t believe that’s possible.

It works fine in an ‘old Mac’. It doesn’t work on an M1 Mac. The only variable in the equation is the change from an old Mac to an M1 Mac. QED. 

Doesn’t  make me overjoyed, either, as I’ve already replaced on old Mac with an M1, but I’d suggest the logic is there. 

But, perhaps there is something wrong with Sonos’ implementation of the published spec. Seems like an outside chance, but it is there. In that case, I’d expect a software update would be able to rectify the issue. 

For those who had the same issue with a new Mac, you could try to restart both the Mac and Sonos. This solved the connection problem for me.

If I reboot my Imac with the M1 chip, air play works fine on Sonos. But as soon as I stop it, It won’t continue to play. Works fin on my Intel laptop. So it seems that either Sonos has not configured its system for the M1 chip or Apple has some kind of bug that keeps it from playing. 

Since it works without issue on an intel Mac, it’s a safe bet there’s some sort of difference for an M1 Mac, which would be on Apple’s side of things. 

My M1 Mac mini does not play airplay to Sonos speakers either.

That being said it neither Airplays to my fire.TV sticks or my sony TV with airplay 2 available. 

My iPhone and my intel Mac mini, and my iPads and my Mac book air & pro (all non M1 mac's) works fine.

This being said what does work is screen mirroring to my Sony TV:

Yet if I try and ONLY airplay sound (not screen mirror) to the TV it fails!

One thing I did notice was that if I had the Sonos app open and tried to airplay music to it, the Sonos app would briefly register the speaker playing the airplay music and then stop. In the console app I see tons of airplay errors:

given it happens on not just Sonos devices and it works fine on my non m1 Mac mini, you have to assume the underlying problem seems to be M1 mac's software.

Sonos needs to contact Apple and get this working. Why should the users have too!! Should have bought Bose!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

How is this deemed the best answer? There is a weird cult of Sonos where everything is someone else’s problem. My Mac airplay works fine to other speakers, so that must make it Sonos fault? Really I just want a solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here is a link to an answer that is actually useful:

I restarted the Mac and Roam (weird) and was able to get audio working.

My sonos one could work well after restarting my M1 Mac mini (2020). Once my M1 Mac mini went into sleep mode and then woke-up, the connection between  Mac mini and Sonos one failed.

Ok so after much testing I finally found my issue. Looks like my Mac mini ethernet port was causing the issue.

Even if I had enabled WIFI, and set the ordering it would not work. It would also not work if I set the ethernet service to inactive after it had been active and got a DHCP ip.

The only way I got it to work was to also go to advance on the ethernet service (once set to inactive) and then renew the DHCP setting so the adapter would loose the information it had. I would then be able to airplay to all my devices.

I then tested with a USB ethernet adapter, and disabled both WIFI and built in ethernet service and airplay worked fine! So something is very dodgy with my Mac M1 ethernet port.

Both my M1 and Intel based Mac minis have 10Gb ports. The intel Mac mini still works fine and can airplay. So I'm not sure if it is a 10Gb only port issue, or just some base software issue in general for M1 Mac mini built in ethernet ports.

Also on the M1 Mac mini the ethernet port (bar airplay) works fine, and I get 10Gb/s down from my servers etc.

The chances of apple actually resolving this I feel are very low.