Answered

Sonos One Microphone Light

• 22 January 2018
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can turn the Sonos One microphone light off? I'd like to do this without disabling the microphone. I have this in the bedroom and would rather there wasn't a light showing when I'm trying to sleep.

I know you can turn off the LED light in the settings but there doesn't seem to be an option for the microphone light.

If I have to disable the microphone, I'll be doing this every night and then turning it back on in the morning.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Belly M 22 January 2018, 18:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge +20
Sorry but no it cannot be turned off.

I use these on mine... I have black, white and silver ones for pretty much every device in the house.

http://www.lightdims.com
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can turn the Sonos One microphone light off? I'd like to do this without disabling the microphone. I have this in the bedroom and would rather there wasn't a light showing when I'm trying to sleep.

I know you can turn off the LED light in the settings but there doesn't seem to be an option for the microphone light.

If I have to disable the microphone, I'll be doing this every night and then turning it back on in the morning.

Thanks

No. Sonos hardwired the LED to the microphones because they want users to be sure that when the light is off, the microphone is also off, and vice versa. The paranoia over privacy issues seem to outweigh the people who don't like lights shining in their sleeping areas.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Duct Tape
Badge +20
Or a white electrical tape and use a hole punch to make a nice little round white sticker.

I have six Sonos One’s all with light dims attached 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm using the white tape from our Brother P-Touch label maker. Either a square or a hole-punch circle depending on what looks best. Easy to apply and removes with no sticky left behind.

I have a pack of multi colored rolls of electrical tape that I was using but the P-Touch tape is far more attractive and attracts less dirt around the edges so I use it most of the time now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess you could use a dot of correction fluid over the light for that matter. It would scratch off if ever needed to remove.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I've gone with a felt adhesive sticker used to protect wooden floors from scratches. Not the prettiest option but works a treat and I had some anyway. Thanks everyone.
SONOS are you kidding me? I just purchased a pair of Ones for my bedroom and I am not able to turn off the light? I like the lights to be off when I sleep and the best advice in the forum is to use duct tape. This is a huge design flaw and enough to make we want to return these otherwise completely awesome speakers. Sonos can you please please please provide a software update ETA, please. 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi unclechuck, I know lights in the bedroom will keep some people up, they sure do for me. However, the microphone light on the Sonos One is purposely always on as a security and privacy measure. The intent is that you'll always know when the microphone is on. No amount of software updates will prevent the light from being on while the microphone is receiving power, the two are physically linked.

If the light's keeping you up and you don't mind not knowing the status of the microphone, the best thing you can do is either to turn off the microphone or cover the LED.
SONOS are you kidding me? I just purchased a pair of Ones for my bedroom and I am not able to turn off the light? I like the lights to be off when I sleep and the best advice in the forum is to use duct tape. This is a huge design flaw and enough to make we want to return these otherwise completely awesome speakers. Sonos can you please please please provide a software update ETA, please. :@
Just to say there are two lights. One is a small (hardly noticeable) microphone light, which can only be turned off when the microphone is muted... the other, is the speaker status light that can be turned off in the Sonos App Room Settings, as shown in the attached screenshot.
SONOS... Any possibility of having the Mic light dimmable or have a night mode feature via a software update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
White Out!
White Out!
Hopefully it won't get to that 😃
SONOS... Any possibility of having the Mic light dimmable or have a night mode feature via a software update?

No. The microphone light is hardwired to the microphone for security purposes. Some are paranoid about covert listening devices being turned on without their notice, so there is no software component to the light.

No. The microphone light is hardwired to the microphone for security purposes. Some are paranoid about covert listening devices being turned on without their notice, so there is no software component to the light.

Sounds reasonable in this age of listening devices. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Duct tape is your friend 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you want dimmer but not invisible you can use a bit of colored plastic tape or gummed paper dots.

No. Sonos hardwired the LED to the microphones because they want users to be sure that when the light is off, the microphone is also off, and vice versa. The paranoia over privacy issues seem to outweigh the people who don't like lights shining in their sleeping areas.

It's a sensitive button, I'm not sure that it's hardwired... I think with a software update, Sonos can change the function of the LED, by example : nothing when mic on and red when mic off

It's a sensitive button, I'm not sure that it's hardwired... I think with a software update, Sonos can change the function of the LED, by example : nothing when mic on and red when mic off

Sonos has stated the LED is physically hardwired to the microphone power line, and cannot be turned off without turning off the power to the microphone. This has nothing to do with the type of button/switch used. Bottom line, if the mic has power, the LED is on, and there is no way for software to alter that (as designed).

Sonos has stated the LED is physically hardwired to the microphone power line, and cannot be turned off without turning off the power to the microphone. This has nothing to do with the type of button/switch used. Bottom line, if the mic has power, the LED is on, and there is no way for software to alter that (as designed).

Bad news, it's really annoying
There are any number of ways to block it out, they even sell small adhesive dots for that very purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=led+light+blockers&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=228935794755&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15733173097129364578&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002021&hvtargid=kwd-343663954935&ref=pd_sl_1pwhsq8a8o_e_p38
There are any number of ways to block it out, they even sell small adhesive dots for that very purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=led+light+blockers&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=228935794755&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15733173097129364578&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002021&hvtargid=kwd-343663954935&ref=pd_sl_1pwhsq8a8o_e_p38

Yes I've seen. But I like to see if the mic is off or no
Which is why the light is there.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi unclechuck, I know lights in the bedroom will keep some people up, they sure do for me. However, the microphone light on the Sonos One is purposely always on as a security and privacy measure. The intent is that you'll always know when the microphone is on. No amount of software updates will prevent the light from being on while the microphone is receiving power, the two are physically linked.

If the light's keeping you up and you don't mind not knowing the status of the microphone, the best thing you can do is either to turn off the microphone or cover the LED.

Maybe turn on/off microphone should be able to be scheduled in Sonos app, or to make profiles like: set sleep time to 15 minutes and set mic off until alarm turn on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Using some translucent tape to make your own dot can leave the LED visible but cut down the excessive glow. Make a dot by using a paper hole punch to cut one. I find the Brother label printer P-Tape to be excellent for this type of thing.