Sonos One as rear surround

• 23 October 2017
  • 16 replies

Badge
If I use 2 sonos ones as surround speakers with my playbar can I still use the Alexa function as I could as a stand alone speaker... or should I just use play 1s and my existing echo dot?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Yes, and yes, if you want to save some money, just get an Amazon Echo Dot. Either will work.
Hi Guys, I've setup my Sonos Playbar and Sub with two Play One's. In doing so I replaced my Play:1's for the Play:One's. As far as surround goes everything is like it should be. However, Alexa is a different story :(

Using one of the Play One's as a separate speaker with Alexa no problem, works perfectly (except Spotify, but that is a known issue). Pairing my two Play One's as a stereo pair, Alexa is kind of confused when I ask something.

So I unpaired them, removed Alexa from one of the One's and paired them up again and that seemed to do the trick.

However, adding this stereo pair to my Playbar and sub as my surround speakers, Alexa simply will not work. She keeps saying she cannot understand at the moment and I should try later.

Is this a known issue? Or just a misstep on my side? If you guys know, please help ッ

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Jerry
Jerry,

You've confused me a bit with the various names you've used, but I think you're having problems with a pair of Sonos Ones that you're using as surround speakers, bonded with a PLAYBAR and SUB.

Since I don't yet have a Sonos One (only several Dots), I can't comment on your issue specifically, but I would encourage you to also submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. That might help them track down why it doesn't seem to be working while they're surrounds.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Once you've set up those Sonos Ones as surround speakers, say "Alexa, discover devices." Then try it out. If that's giving you trouble still, disable the Alexa skill for Sonos and add it back.
Ryan S. Thanks for your reply. I have tried that and removing Alexa works fine, but then the option for Alexa is gone in the app for good it seems. Neither in the Sonos app nor in the Alexa app :(

I have asked Sonos online if there is a step by step instruction on how to setup this correctly.

Thanks again.
Why in the world would Sonos require that both speakers need to be One's to pair for rears? It makes no sense to have to replace both your rears with Alexa speakers? Why would you need two Alexa capable speakers 15ft from each other? I had existing Play 1's as rears and than purchased a new ONE to hopefully be able to swap a Play 1 out so i could add Alexa into the bunch only to find out this can't be done. I feel like this is crazy and wonder why this wasn't thought of before. They need to fix this or else you are just buying an Alexa with a Sonos sticker on it. Am I crazy? Or are they working on this?
They are different speakers. The One is not a Play:1 with Alexa. You have the option of buying a Dot
They need to fix this or else you are just buying an Alexa with a Sonos sticker on it. Am I crazy? Or are they working on this? I came here with the same issue. I have 8 Sonos speakers and want an Alexa in the living room. Thought for sure I can swap one of my Play:1's for a ONE seamlessly. Unbelievable!
Hi guys. Did anyone have any luck with this? I currently have two Sonos Play:1's as surrounds. I'd like to replace one of them with a Sonos One so I can have Alexa in the living room, so my surrounds would then consist of a Sonos Play:1 and a Sonos One. Is this possible?
Hi guys. Did anyone have any luck with this? I currently have two Sonos Play:1's as surrounds. I'd like to replace one of them with a Sonos One so I can have Alexa in the living room, so my surrounds would then consist of a Sonos Play:1 and a Sonos One. Is this possible?Only with a third party app. But just buy an Echo Dot to add Alexa.
Badge +2
Is it me or is it sonos.
I had two play speakers as rears at one time/ Long story short I gave both to my daughter that moved out. I was later given a play one and so now i just bought a play one to ass back in as rear. Now when I go to add the image that comes up says push the buttons to show which is the left speaker. It shows the old style play play and volume. Nothing I try works. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this. What was your experience like adding the play ones as rears. Thanks in advance to all that reply to this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sigh, Sonos marketing's poor name choices strike again... What do you have Sonos One or Play 1 speakers? There is no Play One.

This looks like what you are doing: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

Normally a Factory Reset is to be avoided but since you were given one of the speakers it might be worth doing the factory reset to both of the new ones to get a clean slate to work with - but don't reset the rest of your system or you'll be unhappy.

factory reset: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US
Do I need to purchase anything additional for my stands to mount the sonos one? Why was this not explained on the video. It’s not on the Sanus website either.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I just use a dot with bedroom Sonos Ones and another dot with living room Sonos 5.1
The 3rd gen dot is really nice and then I don't have to worry about missing functionality.