Answered

Sonos on mesh network

• 25 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I have 2 Sonos speakers on my Google mesh network consisting of 2 routers. Due to the location of each speaker, each should connect to a separate router - bedroom - > secondary, hall - > primary. However, in reality, both speakers are connected to the primary router. Is this something to do with Sonos' 'internal' wifi?

It doesn't affect the network, just curious why this is so. All other devices connect to the secondary router when in the same location as the bedroom speaker. 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 27 February 2020, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @kennlopez,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your question. Sonos systems and home Wi-Fi networks are all extremely individual in how they are configured and function. I would need to look at a diagnostic report from your system to fully understand what is talking to what in your home network and why. If you post you confirmation number here, I would be happy to look it over. 

The confirmation number is 420055567.

Thanks much! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @kennlopez 

Thank you for reaching back out with the diagnostic report.

It looks like both of your Sonos players are connecting to the secondary Google Wi-Fi node.

Range and signal strength usually determine which mesh node they connect to. Sometimes these connections run counter-intuitively from what we think they should be. 

If you find that it is causing problems with you your Sonos system or your Wi-Fi network is functioning, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us here. 

We’ll be happy to assist you.