Question

Sonos not connecting to Spotify

• 12 November 2019
  • 4 replies

I am pretty fed up with Sonos. Firstly I cannot play through my phone and now it cannot connect to Spotify. So I cannot do anything with it. Can anyone help to salvage the system or should I just throw it out?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

We’ll need a bit more information on how your system is connected.  Do you have any devices connected via an Ethernet cable?  Have you entered any wi-fi credentials? Do you have any wi-fi extenders or power line devices in use?

I suspect that your phone has connected on to a 5Ghz wi-fi signal which is not supported by Sonos.  Do you know enough about your router to turn off the 5Ghz frequency as a test?

We had a message from Sonos saying that direct play through the IPhone would no longer be supported. More recently we had another message that Spotify free would work in the future with Sonos (so clearly it wasn't working before!). However, I have, in the interim, upgraded to Spotify Premium and this works through Sonos. Some other time I will test Spotify free.

Does your message imply that the iPhone should be able to play through Sonos? In terms of the system I have only a bridge, a Play3 and Play5 with the bridge connected to my router. I have tried both the 2GHz and 5GHz channels. The Sonos is connected to the 2GHz channel but, with Spotify Premium, the 5GHz channel connects also. Does this help? Regards, Ron51

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry, I thought that you meant control Sonos via the App via your iPhone… You are correct Direct Play is no longer supported but the Sonos App will work fine.

Spotify Free was supported from 18th Nov 2019:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1153?language=en_US

Spotify Free went live last month:

We are excited to share that Spotify Free, Spotify's ad-supported tier, now works on your Sonos system.