Sonos My System And Upgrades Information

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

On another forum people are mentioning that they’ve had emails from Sonos about their Play1 speakers and that they are now eligable for upgrade…. I never seem to receive these emails from Sonos so though I’d check my system and upgrade information.

According to this information, 4 of my Play1 speakers and 1 Sonos One (Gen1) speaker are now all eligable for upgrade and are not compatible with S2 and I can stay on S1 if I like. The thing is, I’ve been on S2 since it was first released so they must be compatible. I’m quite confused now!!

10 replies

Userlevel 7

There seems to be some disconnect between your system and how it is recorded under your account.

If you go to your account online and check under System what date do you see for the Registration for each device?

Easiest option would be to talk to Sonos about this by calling Sonos Support as not much community members here can do about how Sonos views your system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I can’t see a date there but it does list my Roam which I purchased last year. It’s also still listing my CR100 which I scrapped a couple of years ago and a bridge which I’ve never used.

I fear that Sonos is planning another “upgrade” which will render all my Play1 speakers obsolete and that would decimate my system as half of my rooms are made of up those speakers.

Edit - I did speak to support before about not receiving emails etc but nothing was ever resolved. I suspect  I was registered under a different email address originally and I don’t have access to that email address any more. All my gear is registered now under a current email address so really there shouldn’t be an issue. I don’t fancy sitting waiting for ages on the phone to try and sort this out again.

I own at least 8 PLAY:1s, there is no indication whatsoever that Sonos would drop support for these speakers. They continue to operate as they always have if you’re running S1, and continue to operate perfectly if you’re running S2.

There’s plenty of memory built in, no expectation of a support change makes any rational sense. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Chatting with support now and it seems that my scrapped bridge and CR100 and the 4 items i did a trade up on are still showing as being in my system for them. I’ve been told I need to factory reset these or remove them using the S1 app - both of these options are not feasible for me.

I was never told when I did the trade up that i needed to remove/factory reset them

Userlevel 7

I can’t see a date there but it does list my Roam which I purchased last year. It’s also still listing my CR100 which I scrapped a couple of years ago and a bridge which I’ve never used.

I fear that Sonos is planning another “upgrade” which will render all my Play1 speakers obsolete and that would decimate my system as half of my rooms are made of up those speakers.

Edit - I did speak to support before about not receiving emails etc but nothing was ever resolved. I suspect  I was registered under a different email address originally and I don’t have access to that email address any more. All my gear is registered now under a current email address so really there shouldn’t be an issue. I don’t fancy sitting waiting for ages on the phone to try and sort this out again.

Your System when checking online will show all products registered to your account, not just the products currently in use.

I very much doubt Sonos is currently planning an upgrade which will make the Play:1 speakers obsolete. There is no obvious reason why support for them would cease in the near future.

Going back to the Upgrade information, I suspect the different emails has caused the issue. If you are able to select the respective products to “upgrade” to receive the 15% credit, then it doesn’t really matter if Sonos somehow thinks you’re still on S1. When you elect to “upgrade” a product, the product continues to work and the discount credit remains on your account until you decide to use it. There is no expiry date.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’m being told now that the only way to get all the information about my system to be correct is to “Transfer System Ownership to a new Sonos account”

The apps all show correctly what I’m currently using and the items that I traded up only show in the Upgraded section of the My System page online but support are still seeing these as being part of my system.

This really is not cutting edge stuff in my opinion.

Unused devices only leave your customer account if they get registered to a different one. I simply ignore the detritus that’s built up there over 15 years.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Mr. T  - can I just confirm something regarding the upgrade programme? I recently bought a Playbase for my bedroom (love it and it’s perfect for that setup). I have loads of other much more recent products. I can see the 15% upgrade discount against it so I am right in thinking that if I click accept to get the credit, then this won’t affect the Playbase and how I use it?  All my products are on the S2 app. 

Userlevel 7

@Mr. T  - can I just confirm something regarding the upgrade programme? I recently bought a Playbase for my bedroom (love it and it’s perfect for that setup). I have loads of other much more recent products. I can see the 15% upgrade discount against it so I am right in thinking that if I click accept to get the credit, then this won’t affect the Playbase and how I use it?  All my products are on the S2 app. 

Correct, you can still continue to use the Playbase, as you do now, after you elect to upgrade it. As it’s part of your S2 system, it will also continue to receive software updates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Cool - that is an added bonus then that I was not aware of when I bought it 😁 - will do the upgrade now and then maybe do a little shopping haha