Sonos Move Stereo Pair worth it?

• 14 January 2020
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So currently I already have a Sonos Move and it sounds amazing! But I'm wondering if I should buy another Move to make a stereo pair, is it actually worth another 400$?

So I have 3 options for this situation:

1) I could buy another Move and use for different rooms when I don't need it. And whenever I have a party I can stereo pair them together. That would cost around 400$ more.

2) Because the current sonos move is still refundable, I can refund this one and then I could buy 2 Xtreme 2, which have comparable sounds. The Xtreme 2 is a little lighter, not as smart. That would cost around 600 - 400 = 200$

3) Or if it's not worth it then I'll just keep the 1 sonos move.

Please let me know your opinion about this. Thank you! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Anyone? Please...

I don’t have a Move, but my ears prefer a stereo signal over a mono one any day. So I’d recommend either a second Move, or a pair of Sonos Ones, depending on how frequently your going to move the speakers. 

I don’t know what an Xtreme 2 is, so no comment. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I don’t have a Move, but my ears prefer a stereo signal over a mono one any day. So I’d recommend either a second Move, or a pair of Sonos Ones, depending on how frequently your going to move the speakers. 

I don’t know what an Xtreme 2 is, so no comment. 

I'll probably stick with 2 Moves. 2 sonos Ones sound good but they are not portable and they don't have Bluetooth, which is the main feature I use on the Move

I don’t believe that you can stereo pair Moves, while in Bluetooth mode. Only while they’re connected to your wifi.

Userlevel 7

@hongkien66 

@Airgetlam is correct you cannot stereo pair the Move when on BT. Only when connected to wi-fi.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@hongkien66

@Airgetlamis correct you cannot stereo pair the Move when on BT. Only when connected to wi-fi.

Yes, I do know that. I'm planning to use airplay 2 on wifi. And then I'll use dual audio on my note 10 if I'm using bluetooth

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

If it was me then i’d stick with the just one Move (maybe because i'm tight with money :joy: ), how often do you currently use your Move in Bluetooth mode and would you really carry 2 around at the same time?

And then I'll use dual audio on my note 10 if I'm using bluetooth

If you done that then you still wouldn’t have a stereo pair, you’d just have essentially 2x mono speakers playing the same thing..

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

If it was me then i’d stick with the just one Move (maybe because i'm tight with money :joy: ), how often do you currently use your Move in Bluetooth mode and would you really carry 2 around at the same time?

And then I'll use dual audio on my note 10 if I'm using bluetooth

If you done that then you still wouldn’t have a stereo pair, you’d just have essentially 2x mono speakers playing the same thing..

I’m just gonna try a second Sonos move today. I’ll probably keep it, but if the 2nd move can’t justify the money, then I’ll return it.

I use bluetooth mode alot, even on my iPad (which has Airplay 2), because IMO I feel bluetooth is much more stable than airplay, around 5ms latency, not much. carry 2 is not a problem because I only move around my dorm not much. And when I go back to my country I’ll just put it in my luggage so weight isn’t a problem. 

“If you done that then you still wouldn’t have a stereo pair, you’d just have essentially 2x mono speakers playing the same thing..” 

• True, but then not a lot of songs have stereo separation, 2 speakers playing the same thing would still bring much wider sound stage, bass response, and I can put them around to cover the area better.

I was wondering the same thing and am considering a second move. If you do go ahead and try out a second move to stereo pair it’d be great if you could comment your thoughts on it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I was wondering the same thing and am considering a second move. If you do go ahead and try out a second move to stereo pair it’d be great if you could comment your thoughts on it.

I actually already tried it out, IMO it sounds very good, a lot of bass wider soundstage and stereo sound. However IMO, I think that it's too heavy to carry both of them, and at 800$ you can get really nice speaker at that point. Like if you pay 200 more and get stereo play 5, it will beat the Move easily if you want the best sound fromo Sonos. It's just my 0.02 cent

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have two Sonos Moves. We love how it works on wifi, and bring it outside with wonderful results with within wifi range. But our experience with Bluetooth is not so positive. It seems only one of the two speakers actually function as a Bluetooth speaker when they are in a stereo pair. The other one will “pair” to your phone, but does nothing. That is unacceptable for this price.

Check out this thread to read other experiences: 

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/move-stereo-pair-bluetooth-problem-6833471

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I have two Sonos Moves. We love how it works on wifi, and bring it outside with wonderful results with within wifi range. But our experience with Bluetooth is not so positive. It seems only one of the two speakers actually function as a Bluetooth speaker when they are in a stereo pair. The other one will “pair” to your phone, but does nothing. That is unacceptable for this price.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/move-stereo-pair-bluetooth-problem-6833471

Yup that's right, the sonos sonos won't be able to stereo pair in bluetooth mode, which is kinda unacceptable for  the 400$ price. I hope sonos is working on this, and I think it's a software issue not a hardware side. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yup that's right, the sonos sonos won't be able to stereo pair in bluetooth mode, which is kinda unacceptable for  the 400$ price. I hope sonos is working on this, and I think it's a software issue not a hardware side. 

True, it is unacceptable for this price that you can’t do stereo pairing on Bluetooth. And I think most people would expect that to work. 

But I had already done my research and had (somewhat) accepted this limitation.

What I am specifically describing is more absurd - when the speakers are stereo paired, you can only use one of them on Bluetooth. Period. The other speaker is just a brick. You should be able to grab either of your speakers and run outside and pair to Bluetooth to enjoy music. But sorry - you grabbed the wrong one. It will do nothing. Go get the other one.

Yes, for this price range, none of the above issues should exist. It should allow acting as a stereo pair on Bluetooth, and either one should function over Bluetooth independently.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

True, it is unacceptable for this price that you can’t do stereo pairing on Bluetooth. And I think most people would expect that to work. 

But I had already done my research and had (somewhat) accepted this limitation.

What I am specifically describing is more absurd - when the speakers are stereo paired, you can only use one of them on Bluetooth. Period. The other speaker is just a brick. You should be able to grab either of your speakers and run outside and pair to Bluetooth to enjoy music. But sorry - you grabbed the wrong one. It will do nothing. Go get the other one.

Yes, for this price range, none of the above issues should exist. It should allow acting as a stereo pair on Bluetooth, and either one should function over Bluetooth independently.

Sonos should make a mode similar to JBL connect plus or partyboost. JBL proves that multi speakers in bluetooth is possible. So Sonos should be able to do it IMO

A portable hotspot would cure this limitation, if available. I am going to be adding a second Move this weekend, and using the hotspot I have access to, this would enable me to keep stereo when portable. Looking forward to the extra wide soundstage and bigger than normal stereo “sweetspot.” I will be experimenting on trying to connect to both using Bluetooth, but I am not counting on it.

Are you sure it’s not a matter of pairing each speaker separately?  I would not think the bluetooth pairings would be shared between 2 Moves in a speaker pair.  For one thing, your bluetooth transceiver (usually phone) would not see both devices as the same device and would require a separate pairing on both speakers. 

Only have a single Move myself,  so I’m just guessing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I don’t  defend the Move much but the limitation is Bluetooths capabilities not the Move. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I don’t  defend the Move much but the limitation is Bluetooths capabilities not the Move. 

I don’t think so because both JBL speakers that have JBL Connect + and Sonos Move have bluetooth 4.2, so it’s a software problem not a hardware one.

Even the older JBL connect speakers use Bluetooth 4.1, so Sonos should be able to do it. Maybe they are working on it

Jbl connect can connect 100 speakers in partymode

I have a stereo pair of moves in my garage. I "liked" the sound and more important to me is the fact that i only had to sacrifice about 1 sq ft of real estate. The reason i mentioned "liked" the sound, is that i recently had to renew storage solutions to make room and better orginize my stuff.  Speakers had to be moved from a side wall enclosed shelf to a better listening position more centered but open and pulled away from any wall. Just like any room acustics my speakers sound quailty diminished bad, i was cetainly suprized to hear this night and day difference. Outside in my driveway they sound great as they are pointed this direction now. After makeing a make shift wall stand i placed both moves agaist an open wall and wow they sounded almost as good as they did on the enclosed shelves they were originally on. So it looks like I'm building new wall stands for the move pair. 

Current position:

Whoohaaah!!! Got my second Move and it’s definately worth it since I like to carry the round the house. Shure, it’s heavy and they are expensive. But is’s the AUTO truelplay that does the trick.

if you can afford it this is your best ‘second’ sound system! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

A portable hotspot would cure this limitation, if available. I am going to be adding a second Move this weekend, and using the hotspot I have access to, this would enable me to keep stereo when portable. Looking forward to the extra wide soundstage and bigger than normal stereo “sweetspot.” I will be experimenting on trying to connect to both using Bluetooth, but I am not counting on it.

Is there a way for Move (or any Sonos speaker for that matter) to work with a phone or tablet a hotspot?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Does a pair of paired Moves auto tune as a pair when moved - assuming on WiFi?

According to Sonos, yes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Great thread! Looks like I will have to get another Move…. I could have gotten a Play 5...:tired_face: