Answered

Sonos Move speaker sporadically disappearing from app.

• 11 February 2021
  • 3 replies

I have added two Move speakers to my Sonos setup. Unfortunately, they keep disappearing from the System list. For instance, right now, my "Office" Move speaker is missing from my iPad app, iPhone app, and pc (although it is available on my Android app). My "Kitchen" Move speaker is missing from all four. When I check again later, I expect both speakers to be on the list, without me having done anything. They keep popping in and out of existence. (Also, sometimes, the devices will show up on the list, but I won't be able to control them: Starting playback fails with an error message stating that, well, playback failed.)

I've read the Standby thread (https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/move-standby-question-6830346) with interest, but I don't think that's the issue here. The speakers are not on standby. For instance, right now, the "Kitchen" speaker reacts when I press, say, the Microphone on/off button, and the "Office" speaker will even resume playback of the podcast I was playing yesterday when I press the play/pause button on the device. Restarting the apps and/or speakers doesn't help. Waiting does. (Update 30 minutes later: Sure enough, both my "Office" and "Kitchen" Move speakers are now magically back on the list, and working well. I haven't touched a thing.)

The rest of my Sonos S2 setup consists of Play:1s, Play:3s, Play:5s and a Playbar running off a Boost. Apart from the Move issue, the system is rock solid. My router stability and wi-fi coverage (which I understand the Moves may be using) is excellent.

Any idea what's going on? If you need a diagnostic number, don't fret. I'm sure one or both speakers will disappear again in the near future.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 February 2021, 18:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Generally speaking, dissapearing speakers is due to two potential issues. First, and the most common, is simple wifi interference. There’s a lot of good information in that linked FAQ, and potential solutions to think about. The less common cause is duplicate IP addresses being handed out by the router when the Sonos does a soft reboot on a software update. This can be fairly easily rectified, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, and while they are unplugged, rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in all Sonos devices. Of course, this is potentially a short term fix, if the router again loses its knowledge of the DHCP table, it can recur. A more permanent fix is to assign reserved IP addresses in the router for all network devices. But the unplug/reboot/plug back in process should always work. 

I scanned for wi-fi interference with neighboring routers and/or SonosNet but didn't see any. I also looked for duplicate IP addresses without finding any. Nevertheless, I did a reboot in the suggested order, and the system has been working flawlessly for the past week. Thank you so much!

It’s hard to ‘see’ duplicate IP addresses normally, since most router’s show only currently connected devices in the DHCP table, and not devices that have been connected to an IP address over X period of time.