Sonos Move - Running USB-C Cable into Bathroom

• 10 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Yes, don't shoot me down just yet, I know electronics and water are not good bedfellows.

I have a Sonos Move in the bathroom, which is rated for IP56, so it's splash proof and can operate in very humid / extreme temperature ranges -25°C (-13°F) to 70°C (158°F).

The battery isn't great on the Sonos Move and I need to charge it fairly often.

So, I was thinking, maybe I could run a USB-C into the bathroom from a power socket outside the bathroom.

The Sonos Move isn't close to any running water (6ft away from shower/sink), my main concern is actually humidity forming around the USB-C port/cable of the device.

Being a bathroom it can get quite humid and lots of condensation/steam in the air.

Do you think this would work? Any concerns?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Here in America we don't care one whit about electricity in bathrooms. The Play:1 was designed for bathroom use, but of course we can just plug it directly into the terrible US sockets. As a ex pat Brit I am wondering if you could get a USB charger that works in the “shaver socket” of a UK bathroom? I wouldn't be worried about the Move end of the cable.

Here in America we don't care one whit about electricity in bathrooms. The Play:1 was designed for bathroom use, but of course we can just plug it directly into the terrible US sockets. As a ex pat Brit I am wondering if you could get a USB charger that works in the “shaver socket” of a UK bathroom? I wouldn't be worried about the Move end of the cable.

Actually the bold isn’t true.  US electrical code requires GFCI outlets near any water source, a far more practical safety measure than limiting folks to shaver sockets.