Answered

Sonos Move power

• 8 October 2019
  • 9 replies

Can anyone recommend a power bank I can use to charge my Sonos Move via usb when I am away from mains power ?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 8 October 2019, 22:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can confirm the following charger and USB C lead work to charge the Move.  These are UK links to Amazon, as the others here and elsewhere are for Amazon in the USA.

TOMMOX USB C Charger - Dual Port Wall Charger, USB PD Port 45W

USB-IF Certified Cable Matters 10 Gbps Gen 2 USB C to USB C Cable 1m 4K Video and 100W Power

Badge

I made the mistake of thinking a lower power usb charger would take longer to charge when I went away with my newly purchased move but without the dock. I couldn't use it for more than 2 days because the usb charger I was using (25 watts) wasn't powerful enough and wouldn't even attempt to charge it. You definitely will need a charger of the power that Sonos recommend and that's quite a hefty current. Personally I would just take the dock and forget about usb charging.

I bought the following charger and power bank

Luxtude PowerRapid 26800 PD, 45W USB C PD Portable Laptop Charger & 60W Power Delivery Wall Charger Bundle USB C Power Bank.

Output: 5V-3A/9V-3A/12V-3-A/15V-3A/20-2.25(45W)

Can somebody tells me it’s ok for my Sonos Move?

thanks

The website says the Move will USB-C charge with 12V/3A, 15V/3A, or 20V/2.25A, so I would look for a charger that has those specs. That seems to be more in the range for laptop chargers as phone chargers are usually around 5V.

As far as a specific recommendation, I don't really know personally. I tried to do a quick search on Amazons and found some, but hard to say I could recommend one over the other.
Thanks for your reply Danny, I did see those specs but just wondered if anyone had been using a particular power bank that they had found to be good
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I think Ryan mentioned recently he was going to check the specs and confirm back if they were correct.
I'm interested to see if the voltage, current or power are more important.
My phone charger (genuine that came with it) can do 10V at 4A (40W) so would like to know whether the circuitry would allow this charger to work or is it looking for specific combinations. Or would a charger not quite up to the specs just charge a little slower?
Aah, by power bank you mean a battery pack as opposed to a charger I think. Not sure if PD packs are taken advantage of either - and packs that can still charge (even if a little slower) while the Move is in use would be advantageous too.
I am pretty confident that the amp rating isn't going to matter. If A is lower on the charger/pack then the Move will just charge slower. If the A is higher on the charger/pack, then the Move will only draw the max it can draw at that voltage.

Voltage I am less confident about. Really, someone who's knows this stuff should verify what I'm saying.

What I do know is you could could certainly use a large battery backup that has
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Move will accept some lower than 45W chargers, though they will likely charge slower. The 10V at 4A (40W) charger you've got there @sjw should work, just a little slower. The 12V/3A spec is correct, just again, it wouldn't be as fast.

Not all charging cables and power supplies are created equal, so just be a little cautious of what you're plugging into the back of your new favorite speaker 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi cuthbury Kid

I posted the information below in @Ryan S Move Announcements section. It's now buried between pages 5 and 7. 😆 Enjoy!

FYI, I bought a set for both of my Moves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Move power requirements for the USB-C port are: USB type C PD power with 45W, 20V/2.25A. IMO you would probably only use the port when outdoors away from the charge ring or no electrical power is near by.

Below are links to two products that meet the Move requirements for power and to sustain it if the battery goes down during use. Increased battery drain is probably more apt to occur when on Wi-Fi outdoors.

The wall charger can be used to charge the power brick or the Move itself. However, I see it being used more for the former

USB-C PD 45W Power Brick

USB-C PD Wall Charger