Answered

Sonos Move not playing sound

• 28 March 2020
  • 14 replies

Our sonos move says it is playing something from spotify but nothing plays. It was fine yesterday at the start but stopped working properly when we asked to change artists. I tried resetting the speaker but that didn’t resolve the issue. I noticed others have had the same problem. Please help. 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 2 April 2020, 00:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @3boyhalls,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out to us with this issue. 

Does this issue continue if you manually start playback from the Sonos app rather than through a voice service command?

Do you keep your Move in one location or do you move it around from day to day? 

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app and include the confirmation number in your response. A diagnostic report will allow us to look for any other connection issues that could be interfering in music playback on your Sonos system.

Hi Jean,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

In answer to your questions we can change music with manual app. If we try voice after that the issue still exists. 

Our speaker is kept in one location. 

I don’t see anything in the Sonos app for running a diagnostic. Can you provide guidance?

Thanks

I found the submission for the diagnostic report. 

Number is 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @3boyhalls,

Are you starting Spotify Playback through the Spotify App or are you selecting it as a music source through the Sonos app?

Do you have Spotify active on any other devices that could be contributing to a stream limitation issue since you can stream to only one device at a time. 

Hi Jean,

We have a separate spotify account set up for the sonos speaker. The speaker has been working since we bought it in December. It has just stopped working. We haven’t changed anything about the spotify account. The speaker also is not able to play music from amazon music which it used to be able to do through voice commands. 

Any other thoughts?  How was this was solved for others?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @3boyhalls

Thank you for your response. 

This is a playback issue that can have different causes and each system needs to be looked at individually, in your system diagnostic I can see there is a stream-limit flag and that music playback on the Move is Paused. I can also see that neither Amazon Alexa or Amazon Music are currently linked to your Sonos account. 

You’ll need to add Alexa back to Sonos and Amazon Music as well, this Alexa Troubleshooting article may be helpful as well. 

Once these services have been added back to Sonos try playback both from the Sonos App itself and from Alexa.

Please be sure that the both the Spotify account and the Amazon Music accounts linked to Sonos are the same ones that are linked to Amazon Alexa.

If you could follow up with a second diagnostic report it can help us pin-point what might be going on with your music playback.   

I have the same issue on the Sonos move.  It works for commands but not playing music.  My Sonos 1s work for commands and playing music but not the move.  Says enable in Sonos app and search for device but it is taking the command from the speaker and shows up in the list.  The Alexa app shows the Sonos but wont allow it to be selected as a speaker.  The other Sonos speakers set up with out issue.  The music services have been linked and I can play them thru the echo.  I have removed and reinstalled but same issue reoccurs

I have the same issue on the Sonos move.  It works for commands but not playing music.  My Sonos 1s work for commands and playing music but not the move.  Says enable in Sonos app and search for device but it is taking the command from the speaker and shows up in the list.  The Alexa app shows the Sonos but wont allow it to be selected as a speaker.  The other Sonos speakers set up with out issue.  The music services have been linked and I can play them thru the echo.  I have removed and reinstalled but same issue reoccurs

Maybe check the Amazon Alexa App device list for ‘duplicates’ and ensure any other devices do not have the same name as your Sonos Move in the list.

The device is listed as Gina’s Sonos move.  I have no other moves so the device name shouldn’t be the issue.  It takes and responds to Alexa commands so it is connected and recognized just not to play music 

The device is listed as Gina’s Sonos move.  I have no other moves so the device name shouldn’t be the issue.  It takes and responds to Alexa commands so it is connected and recognized just not to play music 

A couple of further suggestions:

• Reauthorise your Alexa (default) music service in the Sonos App "Settings/Services & Voice/Music & Content” by selecting the service/reauthorise etc ...and if that doesn’t fix it, then…
  • Remove the Assistant from the speaker… power it down (off the charger loop) by long pressing the top rear power button for 5+ seconds until the shutdown tone is heard. After 30+ seconds return the device to the charger loop and after its powered on and reconnected then reinstall the Alexa Assistant and complete the sharing agreement and then try again.

Neither worked. It again works with commands but wont play music.  Either speaker is defective or software needs to be fixed.

Neither worked. It again works with commands but wont play music.  Either speaker is defective or software needs to be fixed.

The Sonos Move here is working fine with Alexa and Amazon Music. Give me a few moments and I will swap the default service to Spotify in the Alexa App and try that ...and will come back to you. One sec.

Okay the Move is working - I’ve just tried it with Amazon Music, Apple Music and Spotify Premium … I captured a bit of Alexa History to show you in relation to Spotify (attached), the Move is called ‘Portable’.. so it’s looks like it is still something local, rather than software.

You could try submitting another system diagnostic (post reference back here) and perhaps speak with Sonos Support via this LINK