Sonos Move keeps going offline

Just got my Move a week and half ago, joined with rest of my system no problem.  First issue has been battery dying within 18 hours.  So in trying to fix that problem by resetting it, turning it off for 30 secs per Sonos suggestions, I am now having issue of the Move staying online.  Every time I go to use it, it’s offline.  Once I turn it back on manually, battery is at 85%, so that’s not why it’s offline.  I added a Boost last night to try and ensure my WiFi is stable.  My worry was, it would go offline if it loses WiFi.  Problem still exists.  Looking for suggestions.

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi everyone, since the issue of Move's not appearing in the Sonos App can have many possible causes, I would agree with Airgetlam's suggestion of reaching out to Sonos Support to receive real time assistance.

I have the same problem.  Move worked fine for six months, but the last month it stopped waking up normally.  Nothing in the Wi-Fi settings changed, I followed all the recommendations for correcting the error.  Did not help.  This is definitely a software bug.

Support ticket 670490945

Have you perhaps tried the Move connected to a non-overlapping 2.4Ghz WiFi channel, such as channel 1, 6 or 11 and maybe ensure the channel-width is set to 20Mhz only to help reduce any interference.

I have the same problem.  Move worked fine for six months, but the last month it stopped waking up normally.  Nothing in the Wi-Fi settings changed, I followed all the recommendations for correcting the error.  Did not help.  This is definitely a software bug.

Support ticket 670490945

Have you perhaps tried the Move connected to a non-overlapping 2.4Ghz WiFi channel, such as channel 1, 6 or 11 and maybe ensure the channel-width is set to 20Mhz only to help reduce any interference.

Yes, I did it all.  I will say more, these six months I had routers only maximum n at 2.4 GHz.  Channels are set to 1 or 11. There are almost no other routers nearby.  Nothing has changed in the WiFi environment.  In general, this is strange - as a solution to the problem, it is proposed to downgrade the WiFi network.  After all, my other mobile devices work fine.  No, the problem is in Move, judging by the community.

Have done this so far.  Disabled battery saver in settings.  Now, when Move is charging, it does not fall asleep - and, accordingly, is not offline.  Although I already want to do a factory reset.

Just to add that with the ‘battery saver’ feature set to ON, the Move should not goto sleep/offline anyway when it’s placed on a charger. It’s only relevant when left OFF it’s charger.

I have two Moves here and they are both working okay. I have the ‘battery saver’ feature enabled so they power off completely when left off their charger and not used, but they both stay powered on all the time when on their charger loop.

What precisely happens in your case, when you leave them off the charger, with the ‘Battery Saver’ switched off?

Perhaps try it for an hour or two and report back what you see with its status LED, top rear power button presses etc and maybe check to see if you can still ‘ping’ the device on your network, if you do lose connection to it in your Sonos controller App.

With the ‘Battery Saver’ switched off when i leave Move off the charger, the Move shuts down as expected after 30 minutes. 

It should not shut down/power-off completely in this mode, it should just simply fall into ‘sleep’/‘standby’ mode?

So just to clarify, without the ‘battery saver’ feature enabled, the Move simply falls asleep, when off it’s charger, (you can equally short-press it’s rear top power button to put it into sleep mode) is that not what you’re seeing at the moment?

So is it in this ‘sleep’ state, that the Move will then not wake for you  when you either open the Sonos App from its fully closed state on the local subnet or short-press it’s rear top power button?

Obviously things will change if you enable the ‘battery saver’ feature. I’m just trying to discover where you are seeing a problem?

Perhaps see this Support link too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5085

I have the same issue. I have a Sonos ecosystem with every speaker and am very good at troubleshooting as I have almost every product. My Sonos moved worked great for 6 months. But recently it’s just showing offline and I can’t fix it. Yes it’s in with mode with power and close to my internet router and boost. I’ve tried rebooting 4 times. It connects after a reboot but quickly goes offline and won’t work. Any help? 

just to clarify, without the ‘battery saver’ feature enabled, the Move simply falls asleep, when off it’s charger, (you can equally short-press it’s rear top power button to put it into sleep mode) is that not what you’re seeing at the moment?

Yes, without the ‘battery saver’ feature enabled, the Move falls asleep, not fully off.

The problem is strange and not very repetitive.  It's hard to understand why.  Perhaps the reason is in WiFi.  Maybe someone in the neighborhood turned on another router, and because of this I had such a problem.

I'll see how it will work with 'battery saver' off

We have several Sonos speakers, but only the Moves go offline and do not want to recover.

Both of the Move speakers show as offline in the application, but they still still respond to Alexa commands -- so this isn’t a WiFi connection problem unless there is some insane design where the Alexa as an independent WiFi from the Sonos hardware.  

Alexa answers questions, plays music, etc.

In fact, holding the Play button on the Move will cause the Move to join the last Sonos group, but still the Move shows as offline in the application. Trying to adjust the volume for the group has on impact on the Move.

So this definitely smells of a software issue.

I’ve submitted diags: Your confirmation number is: 1443723263

Annazel S can you help?

Move won't stay connected. Never had this problem with any other Sonos product. Lot of money for what now amounts to a new small boat anchor. Piece of junk. Not expected from this company.

Which WiFi band did you put the Move on during setup? What channel and channel-width are you using? How far away is it from the router and any walls/objects in between?

Any other WiFi AP’s in your network setup, besides the main router …and if so, are they all operating on the same channel as the main router?

Same here. Two move speakers offline. 1500 bucks for this?

Seriously, I have also the same Issue happened with my sonos move. I followed all the troubleshooting steps but when I again charge this is gone offline again. I don’t know what’s the issue.

Any clue??:sweat:it:disappointed_relieved:

Honestly, your best bet is to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Me too. I’ve had the same problem with my Move for almost a year. Continues to go offline.  I’m at my wits end. Too much trouble for such an expensive system. We have five other Sonos speakers in addition to the Move. 

Me too. I’ve had the same problem with my Move for almost a year. Continues to go offline.  I’m at my wits end. Too much trouble for such an expensive system. We have five other Sonos speakers in addition to the Move. 

What WiFi band is the Move using?.. If it’s running on the 5Ghz band, then perhaps switch it to the more penetrating 2.4Ghz band and remove the 5Ghz band credentials from your Sonos App network settings. Also ensure your router is using ‘fixed’ channel 1, 6 or 11 as those are non-overlapping - (note if using SonosNet for your other speakers, then set the SonosNet channel at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel). 

One further thing that may greatly help, is to switch your routers 2.4Ghz band to use a channel-width of 20MHz only.

Hopefully those suggestions will stop your ‘Move’ going offline. Note however, that the Move is designed to fall into ‘sleep-mode’ in certain circumstances anyway off it’s charger-loop, such as after 30 minutes of inactivity. It will also sleep after 3 minutes when woken by the App (WOL packet) and not used for playback etc.

HTH

Support ticket 670490945

Support ticket 670490945

Yes, I did it all.  I will say more, these six months I had routers only maximum n at 2.4 GHz.  Channels are set to 1 or 11. There are almost no other routers nearby.  Nothing has changed in the WiFi environment.  In general, this is strange - as a solution to the problem, it is proposed to downgrade the WiFi network.  After all, my other mobile devices work fine.  No, the problem is in Move, judging by the community.

Have done this so far.  Disabled battery saver in settings.  Now, when Move is charging, it does not fall asleep - and, accordingly, is not offline.  Although I already want to do a factory reset.

Support ticket 670490945

Just to add that with the ‘battery saver’ feature set to ON, the Move should not goto sleep/offline anyway when it’s placed on a charger. It’s only relevant when left OFF it’s charger.

I have two Moves here and they are both working okay. I have the ‘battery saver’ feature enabled so they power off completely when left off their charger and not used, but they both stay powered on all the time when on their charger loop.

What precisely happens in your case, when you leave them off the charger, with the ‘Battery Saver’ switched off?

Perhaps try it for an hour or two and report back what you see with its status LED, top rear power button presses etc and maybe check to see if you can still ‘ping’ the device on your network, if you do lose connection to it in your Sonos controller App.

With the ‘Battery Saver’ switched off when i leave Move off the charger, the Move shuts down as expected after 30 minutes. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @fordvolk,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out  with your issue.

I’ve taken a look at the diagnostic reports associated with your account and it looks like your Move is connecting to an Apple Airport on a different network SSID than the network that your Boost is wired into.

Its also important to not that wiring a Sonos product to your will prompt it to broadcast a Sonos-only network called Sonosnet that the Move is not designed to work with.

If your phone controller is getting its WiFi connection from your ISP provided router but your Move is connecting to a different network or access point, it may not show as online correctly in your Sonos app.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jonstevens5.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

Kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app preferably while the Move is securely on its charging cradle, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system,  it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Badge

O gosh. I have the same issues Sonos move stereo pair go offline every day when not in use for about 2 hours. , no way to recover . Must hard reset, add product, create stereo pair Then it will work for the first day  then after that offline after 2 hr of inactivityonly hard reset gets them up - only for a while. Tech support wont acknowledge that this is a CHRONIC and consistent issue with NO resolution. my environment

linksys  Velop mesh WHW0301 triband

full 5 bars of wifi

3 sonos boost

5 amps

2 sound bars

2 subwoofrs 

2 play bars

sonos play 5

SONOS MESH (not wifi)

all other products work flawlessly. Since tech support only reads from a script, can someone fix /

I have sent diagnostics before asfter and during failure. NO progress  Very frustrating for the big bucks spent. For now I am going through the horrible process of return after 1 week of purchase/use.

Anyone had this problem who HAS a fix ?

The 

Badge +1

Mine has just developed the same problem. Keep following the troubleshooting steps, finally seemed to work this morning  but now gone offline again after taking it off the base to use on balcony

Move won't stay connected. Never had this problem with any other Sonos product. Lot of money for what now amounts to a new small boat anchor. Piece of junk. Not expected from this company.