Sonos Move Issues

• 24 September 2019
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Has anyone else noticed Sonos Move sound drop outs (for 2-3 seconds). It's happening through both WiFi and Bluetooth. On WiFi if the Move is grouped to other speakers they all cut out as well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

I didn't notice a drop out for 2-3 while in BT mode, but only once. I didn't not notice whether it was a conneciton issue on the phone or a BT communication issue. No issues at all with wifi mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I didn't notice a drop out for 2-3 while in BT mode, but only once. I didn't not notice whether it was a conneciton issue on the phone or a BT communication issue. No issues at all with wifi mode.
If it helps, I also haven't noticed any issues with mine.

To troubleshoot, I'd suggest sending a diagnostic after it cuts out on the wireless and then contact the team live.
I have had a big problem with my new Move. When grouping with the sounder the sound caps out terribly. I think I will send it back. Any feedback or advice for me here?
Spell check sucks. Soundbar and it clips out
I have had a big problem with my new Move. When grouping with the sounder the sound caps out terribly. I think I will send it back. Any feedback or advice for me here?
I’m having the same issue. I also tried switching boost channels with no luck.
Another observation, I do not have the issue when using the same signal, line-in to/from a Play 5. It works perfectly. So I would think it’s a play bar issue?

From what source(s) are you noticing the issue?

Has anyone else noticed Sonos Move sound drop outs (for 2-3 seconds). It's happening through both WiFi and Bluetooth. On WiFi if the Move is grouped to other speakers they all cut out as well.
Tsar chasm,

I don’t see how changing your Boost channel might assist with any audio ‘clipping’ occurring with the Sonos Move, which cannot run in Boost Mode in any event.

If you are having drop-out issues instead, then I would switch your chosen WiFi band connection for the Move. So if you’re running the Move on the 5ghz signal, then switch it over to the routers 2.4ghz signal, which will have greater range and better penetration around your premises and nearby.
The connection should not be an issue if changing the originating source (playbar >play5) solves the problem. To me, that indicates an issue with the playbar and how it’s processing the outgoing signal. I also thought there might be signal interference, thus the channel thought.
Although MOVE will ignore BOOST, running them on the same channel could result in interference issues.
Tsar Chasm,

As buzz mentions it is important to keep your SonosNet channel at least 5 channels away from your routers 2.4ghz channel to prevent signal overlap, but it can also help to put the Move on the 2.4ghz signal if you find that the 5ghz channel is not reaching the Move’s location. The 2.4ghz signal is better at penetrating walls etc.

Forgive me also, but the original post referred to the audio being ‘clipped’ which to me means something different to audio connection dropouts.

The WiFi channel separation suggested, just by itself here, should hopefully go some way to resolving your issue, but maybe consider switching the WiFi band on the Move too if It’s currently using the 5ghz connection.
Update: Upgraded internet service to Gigablast Megabit service. All seems to be working fine except I still have problems with the Move when it is group with the sounder and I try to listen to a TV broadcast. Works fine when streaming SirusXM or when connected to bluetooth. My system is comprised of a soundbar, boost, 3 Play 5's, 1 play 2, and 2 play 1's (and now a Move). All of the other speakers work fine when grouped with the soundbar to listen to a TV broadcast.
Trouble when connected to a Sonos sound bar indicates a potential issue with wifi interference. The bandwidth required for a line in such as the TV is significantly higher than it is when streaming a music stream such as SiriusXM. I'd recommend reading through that FAQ, and see if any of the information in it may apply to your situation.

And you can always submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing one of these dropouts, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Update: Upgraded internet service to Gigablast Megabit service. All seems to be working fine except I still have problems with the Move when it is group with the sounder and I try to listen to a TV broadcast. Works fine when streaming SirusXM or when connected to bluetooth. My system is comprised of a soundbar, boost, 3 Play 5's, 1 play 2, and 2 play 1's (and now a Move). All of the other speakers work fine when grouped with the soundbar to listen to a TV broadcast.
To try to assist, I am currently testing my Sonos Move (called 'Portable') which I have grouped with my Beam and Surrounds (called 'Dining Room'). It’s not the exact same setup, but as close as I can get and I’m not getting any drop-outs (so far)... Have you tried shifting the speaker onto a different WiFi band. The 'Move' supports both the 2.4ghz band and the 5ghz band. I’m currently running mine on the routers 2.4ghz signal as that has better reach and penetration... you can 'perhaps' see which WiFi signal that you are using in “Settings/System/Network/Networks”.

After a 30minute test of playing TV PCM audio, I’ve not had a single dropout. I will go onto see if it makes any difference if the Beam and surrounds are playing a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio signal. I’ll let you know how it goes.
CarlB4,

Just watched the movie Dunkirk (DD5.1) on Amazon Prime on the Dining Room and grouped the playback with the Move, which I placed next to me on the table and apart from the usual minor lip-sync issue (corrected by setting the lip-sync slider to +1 in the Beams room settings) I had no issues with the Move audio dropping out either.

So my thoughts are that in your particular case it perhaps maybe a wireless interference issue as Bruce suggested in his post. So I would maybe take a closer look at that aspect.

Anyhow I hope that assists a little and whilst it was not the best film I have seen, I did quite enjoy the Dunkirk movie. 😀

Hello

This has nothing to do with wifi interference. Bluetooth dropouts 2 or 3 seconds when using a laptop  windows10 Bluetooth, for conference call or movie/home cinema for example, as sonos tech can’t connect using wifi on a laptop. (Shame on them for not reporting this upfront) .  Is anyone know how to solve the BLUETOOTH  dropouts pb?  It’s great to have so many “opinions” above, but does anyone have a SOLUTION?  Very much appreciated

Hello

This has nothing to do with wifi interference. Bluetooth dropouts 2 or 3 seconds when using a laptop  windows10 Bluetooth, for conference call or movie/home cinema for example, as sonos tech can’t connect using wifi on a laptop. (Shame on them for not reporting this upfront) .  Is anyone know how to solve the BLUETOOTH  dropouts pb?  It’s great to have so many “opinions” above, but does anyone have a SOLUTION?  Very much appreciated

Have you updated the laptop driver/firmware for the Bluetooth device to ensure it’s running on the latest software?  Check that the laptop power management and firewall are not interfering with the connection.

If the Bluetooth dongle is a 3rd part device then try a different one, preferably compatible with Bluetooth v4.2

If you have a mobile with Bluetooth, then try that too, just to see if the dropout issue lies with the laptop, rather than the Move device.

Thank you Ken. I am running on MSFT Windows 10, constantly being updated. Very standard config 

We have other bluetooth speakers, smaller ones like bose or jbm , all work well.. am affraid i ll have to trash this thing for videos movies and IP calls 

Thank you Ken. I am running on MSFT Windows 10, constantly being updated. Very standard config 

We have other bluetooth speakers, smaller ones like bose or jbm , all work well.. am affraid i ll have to trash this thing for videos movies and IP calls 

The Windows software might be updated regularly, but often a device 'firmware' may get released by the manufacturer separately, so I would maybe check that for your Bluetooth transmitter, whether it be an internal device, or external 3rd party device.

I’m not ruling out that it might still be a compatibility issue with the Move here, but I would just check you have the latest firmware and check to see if other Bluetooth devices may work okay with your Move too.

Ok will check. Thanks again

.. and btw, i noticed that the dropouts happens more often when the MOve is not in its socle (battery charger) .. When removed, it dropouts every 2 minutes or so.. As if teh software was checking something.. Maybe this insight could help us to find the pb..

.. and btw, i noticed that the dropouts happens more often when the MOve is not in its socle (battery charger) .. When removed, it dropouts every 2 minutes or so.. As if teh software was checking something.. Maybe this insight could help us to find the pb..

Both Bluetooth and a 2.4ghz WiFi signal can 'clash' .. if you have control of WiFi in the area, then maybe try a different channel for the 2,4ghz band. Other things that can present problems are baby monitors, dect cordless phones, and microwaves etc. Glass and metal objects too. So ensure that those things perhaps in close proximity are considered.