Sonos Move Battery Life when left on Charging base

• 26 November 2020
  • 8 replies

I saw in the FAQ that the Move battery will last 900 charges or 3 years.    What if I mainly leave it on the charging tray and occasionally use it solely on battery?    Will the battery last longer than 3 years then?    

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @riding29.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

You're right about Move battery will last 900 charges or 3 years.

I suggest, completely turn off the move when not using to make sure that the battery life will last longer especially if you're not going to use the speaker for several days.

Sonos Move can also be placed into sleep mode to reduce battery usage and disable the touch controls when off the charging base.

To place your Move into sleep mode, simply press and release the power button located on the back.

You’ll hear a short chime and the LEDs will turn off. When in sleep mode, Move’s battery can last up to 120 hours.

Note that putting Move into sleep mode does not completely power it off

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks @Mark P

I should have been a bit clearer.

When not in use off the tray, I’d like to use it as an in house speaker like my other Sonos speakers (which I’m very happy with BTW).   Is sleep mode automatic on the Move?    And will it wake up automatically when I want to play music?

And back to my original question, what is the life expectancy when operating in a mode like this.   It’s on the charging tray, used every day and occasionally used off tray.    If the speaker battery only lasts 3 years this may not be for me.     

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @riding29.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Is sleep mode automatic on the Move?   And will it wake up automatically when I want to play music?

To place your Move into sleep mode, simply press and release the power button located on the back. You’ll hear a short chime and the LEDs will turn off. When in sleep mode, Move’s battery can last up to 120 hours.

To wake up your Move, press and release the power button or place Move on the charging base.

So far these are the latest announcements/update for the lifespan of the Sonos move battery. ​

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks again for the info on sleep mode Mark.

I’ll watch to see if Sonos provides updated information regarding the original question.   I’ve seen others have asked but it wasn’t answered there either.

Original Question:   What is the battery life expectancy when used regularly in the cradle and occasionally (less than 5%) off the cradle?   

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Will Sonos be offering replacement batteries for the Move?  I have heard three years mentioned but this really depends how many times you charge/recharge the unit.

As a new owner, grateful for comments?

Thx

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @mikegunnill.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

It depends if the speaker is still within the warranty then Yes Sonos can replace the battery, but you need to send the speaker to Sonos for it to be fixed.

Just to let you know on the second quarter of 2020 Sonos Move has gained an additional hour of battery life through a previous software update.

The move can now support up to 11 hours of continuous playtime on battery.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Mark,

Is the 11 hours of battery the same for Bluetooth and WiFi? Mine seems to only get about 2 hours of play on WiFi. This may be an issue if I’m suppose to have 11. 

Userlevel 7

Mark,

Is the 11 hours of battery the same for Bluetooth and WiFi? Mine seems to only get about 2 hours of play on WiFi. This may be an issue if I’m suppose to have 11. 

From Sonos Move FAQ:

How long does the battery last?

Move’s battery will last for up to 11 hours of uninterrupted playback. Pausing, volume level, Bluetooth, heat exposure, and other factors will cause battery life to fluctuate. If left off the charging base and unused, the battery will last about 120 hours.