Sonos Move Battery Life in standby mode?

Badge

Hi all. Thinking of getting a Sonos Move to replace my Bose Soundlink Bluetooth speaker for my bathroom which has no power socket. For those long bathtub soaks.

Question is, I've read the Move in standby mode doesn't really have good battery life?

For my Soundlink it auto powers off and the battery lasts for months as I only tub once every 1-2 weeks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge

Alternatively. If I force the Sonos move to completely turn off when not in use, will it prevent the aforesaid battery drain issues everyone seems to be talking about? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Few days at best. Battery management is not great. Complete power off will get a few extra days juice. But nowhere near the weeks you’re used to. I’ve not tested it that much as all of mine live in the dock 90% of the time and battery lasts most of the day of I move them away. So not really an issue. Fingers crossed they can sort out the firmware one day. But it does not seem to be within their gift - or they’re not that bothered about it and negative impact it might have on some customers. Hopefully the Roam will be much better. Move is not really a portable as way too heavy and bulky. More of a luggable between rooms or not too far from a power source. I think Sonos had that in mind from day one, or if they didn't they quickly realised after it went on sale and put energy into developing the roam rather than fixing issues with the Move. Which from a raw business sense I can understand as it is cheaper and likely to sell far more units. Bit shoddy though for those who purchased a Move and expected the battery to have a reasonable shelf life between charges. I really see the Move as a replacement for the 3 with the added bonus a batter. That’s how I rationalise the (very slight) buyer’s remorse! Lol. I still have my trusty JBL Charge for taking on trips which require lightweight portability and some battery reliability.  

Badge

Yea I have a Jbl charge 3 as a spare as well haha, sound quality sucks but it's reliable. Bose Soundlink is better than that..

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought a Sonos Arc Surround set and Sonos Five yesterday.. Guess I'll hold off the Move 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Alternatively. If I force the Sonos move to completely turn off when not in use, will it prevent the aforesaid battery drain issues everyone seems to be talking about? 

Sonosjunkie’s comments are on point. The Move has a battery drain bug since release. When I owned one it went dead in a week when completely off. Bigger problem in my house was It seemed to go dead in 5 minutes when off the charger (exaggerating).

I’m hopeful that the Roam does not have this bug when released - and hopeful that the Move bug is fixed as a consequence. I’ve preordered the Roam but would buy a Move again if this is fixed.  

My experience of the Move battery has been a bit better than comments here.  First, the advice has been to keep it on the charger all the time (except when you want to use it somewhere else, obviously), so in practice I haven’t had a problem.

In Standby Mode (brief press on power button) the drain seems very fast and took me by surprise the first time I tried this.

When fully turned off (5 second press on power button and wait for tone) the drain is faster than I might have expected, but after leaving it in this state for 5 days there was 70% charge left.

Badge

My experience of the Move battery has been a bit better than comments here.  First, the advice has been to keep it on the charger all the time (except when you want to use it somewhere else, obviously), so in practice I haven’t had a problem.

In Standby Mode (brief press on power button) the drain seems very fast and took me by surprise the first time I tried this.

When fully turned off (5 second press on power button and wait for tone) the drain is faster than I might have expected, but after leaving it in this state for 5 days there was 70% charge left.

yeowch. that still kinda sucks. totally off should maintain charge with zero/VERY little drain. my Bose Soundlink goes for MONTHS before it drains entirely when completely off.

Hope Sonos fixes this asap.

It’s a battery. Sonos can’t change the laws of physics or chemistry. 

Badge

It’s a battery. Sonos can’t change the laws of physics or chemistry. 

Don't think so. The battery, if it can power such a huge speaker for 11 hours, should be able to maintain charge if totally turned off for a really, really long time.

Whats happening is the speaker isn't totally turning off, maybe checking things thru wifi every few minutes or hours etc. This should be able to be fixed with firmware. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If it's completely shut down it should last months if not years.

I can drag my cordless drill out after a year of being sat and it's still good to go.

Amazing how long the problem with the Move has gone on with no fix in sight.

Badge

If it's completely shut down it should last months if not years.

I can drag my cordless drill out after a year of being sat and it's still good to go.

Amazing how long the problem with the Move has gone on with no fix in sight.

EXACTLY! While I understand for a smart speaker, a LITTLE battery drain has to happen to retain it’s memory/settings (like a mobile phone does), so yea it will drain faster than a ‘dumb’ device like a cordless drill, but it should still take WEEKS if not at least a month or two to completely drain!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You can turn a mains powered Sonos speaker off and it retains all settings so there must be some non volatile ram in there, same with mobile phones (if you can take the battery out it will retain settings).

Don't really think there's any excuse for the Move that I can think of..