SONOS Move Battery Drain, is it really this bad?

• 14 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I decided to purchase a Sono Move a little over a week ago and so far I am extremly dissappointed.  Sales blurb states 120hrs battery life in STBY, 10hrs playback.  After fully charging and setup I’ve been lucky to get 2 days (48hrs) when in stby (power button on back pressed and all lights off) with  a couple of  hours playback.  It also randomly switches itself back on after being set to stby. 

A few days ago I fully charged it, switched off the mic, set it to stby and the next morning, some 10hrs later, it was already down to less than 60% charge remaining after no playback.  Presently I’m recharghing every other day with maximum of 5hrs playback.

I love the speaker but it’s battery life is at best rubbish, even my power hungary smartphone lasts at least 2days.

Is my speaker/battery faulty or is this normal?  If that latter it will be returned for a refund.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This is an outstanding issue and Sonos needs to provide a fix.  It has been recognized that the Moves keep waking from standby when of their charging ring.

I just leave mine on the ring when not in use so this has little impact but it still needs resolving.

Userlevel 1

This is an outstanding issue and Sonos needs to provide a fix.  It has been recognized that the Moves keep waking from standby when of their charging ring.

I just leave mine on the ring when not in use so this has little impact but it still needs resolving.

Thanks bockersjv, I have now seen a few posts, I’m more concerned about the battery drain, which I guess could easily be related.  I didn’t shell out a small fortune for a device that is supposed to last upto 120hrs on battery to leave it sitting on the ring, if I could cope with that I’d have bought another Sonos One - I’m just annoyed with Sonos for 1)misleading sales bumph, 2) a bug that appears to have been around for several months and still not fixed and 3) a battery that is way below spec (in my opinion).  I just expect more from Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Agree, there have been system updates but no change to this issues.

This does seem to be related to the bug whereby the speakers keep waking from standby, rather than battery spec.  In use i have been getting 9hrs on quite high volume and 10hrs easy when at ambient levels.

lets be quite clear about this. I f you have a charged move and then use it you may possibly get 11/12 hours of music. If you leave it on the charging base you will have the 11 hours of use. If you take it off the base, or switch the base off. After 5 days the battery’s drained. This is pathetic battery management by Sonos. The only way round this is to keep it on the base and to keep the base switched on. Don't bother to search the internet for anything else, this is how it is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It is poor.  Turned the electrics off in my Garage.  less than a day later both moves were dead with complete battery drain despite not being used.  There appears to be no sleep mode at all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Ah FFS I keep checking back to see if they fix this battery drain bug. Can’t believe it’s still not fixed!