Answered

Sonos Move Battery

• 19 February 2020
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 3

I recently acquired a Sonos Move, which has replaced a Play 1 in our dining room. We have so far used it predominantly moved into the bathroom as needed and for occasional dinner background music in the dining room. It’s always connected to Wifi - not yet used the Bluetooth functionality. We will also be using it on the patio when/if the UK weather improves in the summer. (also on Wifi but may need to use Bluetooth if kids want to take it down the end of the garden.  We’ve had it a few weeks and I’m reasonably happy with it.

When not used in the bathroom it has always been kept on it’s charging base. Recently though I have noticed in the app that it never gets to 100% charge, always stopping at 95%. On the odd occasion, it has shown 100% in the app for around 1 second then changes to 95%.

I should point out that I don’t have voice services active but I do keep the mic on for auto true play.

So - is this normal battery behaviour? Should I take it off the charger for a while? I’m a litle concerned there is a battery fault that will only get worse over time.

Apologies if this has already been asked in another thread

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 19 February 2020, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 3

@Ken_Griffiths

Thanks - only Apple mobile devices in our house I’m afraid. But both my iPad and iPhone show the same behaviour of the Move battery. I’ve tried my kids and wifes devices as well and still the same - but again they are all iPhone or iPad.

I’ll wait until we have an Android friend over and have a play with their device.

Userlevel 3

@Richard F. 

Just to confirm Move went offline (ie battery out of charge) today. I took it off the charger on Sunday afternoon so Sonos claim it take around 5 days to discharge if off the charger and in sleep mode are true in my case.

On putting back in the charging cradle it charged fully to 100 in 2 - 3 hours, so Sonos charging time claims ring true.

So I think we are all good for me now as far as the Move goes. Whatever the reason it got stuck at 95% the first few charges seem to have been resolved by letting it discharge fully.

Will obviously keep an eye on it over the next week or so and come back to you if any more issues come up

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Richard F.  can you confirm how long a Move should hold it's charge when fully powered down and not just in ‘sleep' mode?  i.e. you know you won't need it for a little while so want it to use as little power as possible and are OK with switching it back on with a button press.

The Move’s battery should last 5-6 days while it is in sleep mode. If it is physically powered off by holding the button down, it should last about 10 days. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks.

When physically powered down, is anything still running as that still seems a short amount of time.  If I power my tablet down fully it loses 1-2% a week.

Any idea of why it still drains at such a rate?

Userlevel 3

Hello @Clinical Precision. Thanks for reaching out. 

@AjTrek1 is correct on his suggestions. Please allow the Move to fully discharge, and then recharge it. If it remains at 95%, please submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to check the battery status. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Thanks @Richard F.

So I took it off the base to run the battery down and the level shown in the app immediately changed to 100%. As an experiment I then put it back on the base and the app showed 95%. To me this is strange behaviour but you may know better!

The battery will not hold charge and not its dead. I have it on the charger for two days and still nothing. Then I plugged the USB-C thinking it might be the base charger, after six hours again nothing. Maybe I am missing something???? Has anyone had their Move replaced by Sonos due to battery issues? I can see from previous posts here, battery issues are happening often.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @Richard F. 

I’m starting to believe there’s some kind of issue with the app reading the charge level as you have confirmed the battery is fine. The app reading seems to default to the 90’s (93 or 95) on opening but after a couple of minutes jumps to 100%. If I change window on my device, or force close the Sonos app, then go back it shows the 90s reading again but then will jump to 100, again after a couple of minutes. Strangely this only seems to occur on the charging base. The app immediately shows 100% on removing from the base.

I have checked the charging connections and they are clean - there is no debris present.

I really like the Move so I can live with this quirk for the time being. Interested to know if there are other in the community that have noticed this or if it’s unique to me!

Thanks @Richard F. 

I’m starting to believe there’s some kind of issue with the app reading the charge level as you have confirmed the battery is fine. The app reading seems to default to the 90’s (93 or 95) on opening but after a couple of minutes jumps to 100%. If I change window on my device, or force close the Sonos app, then go back it shows the 90s reading again but then will jump to 100, again after a couple of minutes. Strangely this only seems to occur on the charging base. The app immediately shows 100% on removing from the base.

I have checked the charging connections and they are clean - there is no debris present.

I really like the Move so I can live with this quirk for the time being. Interested to know if there are other in the community that have noticed this or if it’s unique to me!

Do you have any other type of mobile controller, just wondering if the matter mentioned here is a 'screen refresh' issue and that different manufacturers devices have different rates of refresh, i was wondering if another controller might show a slightly different (updated) display, perhaps?

Thank you. Were you able to submit a diagnostic report? If so, please provide the confirmation number. 

Userlevel 3

@Richard F. 

Not done the diagnostic report yet. Still waiting for the battery to run down to see if that fixes it first. Currently losing around 20% per day so should be done by the weekend. I’ll then charge it on the base. If it doesn’t reach 100 then I’ll pop in a report

Thanks

Hello @Clinical Precision. Thanks for reaching out. 

@AjTrek1 is correct on his suggestions. Please allow the Move to fully discharge, and then recharge it. If it remains at 95%, please submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to check the battery status. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Userlevel 3

So it’s been a few days with me keeping an eye on the Move charge level. So I’m now not sure if it’s the battery or the charging base. Or possibly my WiFi.

Today I noticed it seemed stuck a 93% but after a couple of minutes the app showed 100% for a few seconds then reverted back to 93%. I took it off the base and the app immediately showed 100%. When I put it back on the charger it then went to 98%. Don’t want to get too hung up on this but this just seems weird to me. Is it because it falls asleep on the charger so the app only shows the charge from when it was last awake (93%)? And lifting it off the charger wakes it so the app is able to report the actual charge(100%)?

@Richard F. hoping you can shed some light on this. Diagnostic 1399889610 submitted.

Userlevel 7

Hi

You should see 100% in the app. You might try these steps (both or singularly):

1. Allow the Move to drain it’s battery completely and re-charge
  2. Delete the Sonos app and reinstall 

If nothing works then I’d submit a diagnostic and post the reference ID in this forum. Then contact Sonos by phone, twitter or facebook. In truth submitting the diagnostic may not be necessary unless it can detect a faulty charging component :thinking: however, I’d submit it anyway.  Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers! 

Thanks for providing that diagnostic. The Move’s battery is in good health. It is possible that the application is not updating the battery percentage to show the 100%. What happens if you force close the application out and reopen it? Does the application show the same number, or does it update to 100%? 

I also recommend checking both your charging dock’s and the Move’s charging plates for any debris. 

Thank you for doing those steps. I am glad to hear that this issue seems to have worked itself out. it it happens to revert back to 95% charge, please feel free to reach back out.