Question

Sonos Move audio for Amazon Firestick or Apple TV.

Hello!

I am thinking about purchasing a Sonos Move, but I was hoping to use it as a Bluetooth output speaker with an Amazon Firestick or Apple TV connected to a tv.

Will this work?  Will the Move and a Firestick communicate?  Will the Move and an Apple TV communicate?  Hoping to do this for watching tv outside.  :)

Thanks so much!

Jonathan K.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I can’t figure out how to change the volume when the Sonos is connected via Bluetooth to the firestick. Volume doesn’t work i via the Firestick remote. I have to manually tap on the speaker to change the volume. Kind of a bummer

Jonathan,

Did you ever figure out how to connect a Firestick to the Move? I worked on the settings between my projector, Firestick and the Move to no avail. We were able to get Alexa to recognize the Move but it would only play music. 

Ron

I have the same issue.  Speaker works great, but can not control the volume or on off on the Sonos Move.  Spent hours trying to tweak or find an IR code that may work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jonathankrinke, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

To connect the Move via Bluetooth with the TV, it depends on the TV if it’s capable.

If it does, you’ll need to switch the Move from Wifi mode(white LED) to Bluetooth (blue LED).

Once the Move is flashing blue, search for it under devices in the Bluetooth settings of the TV.

The Move will now output the TV audio. For TV remote control, you’ll need to use the TV remote as the speaker is directly connected to the TV’s Bluetooth.

@jjh5w, the Move won’t be able to recognize IR signals as it doesn’t have an IR receiver. We would need to use the TV’s remote and check if it will change the volume.

This is similar when the Move is connected to a mobile device; the Bluetooth volume setting is different from the main volume setting of the mobile device.

@raxt, you’ll need to check if the projector has a different volume setting for Bluetooth. Also, Alexa is disabled when the Move is on Bluetooth.

Explanation, the Alexa service needs to be connected to the internet to the Amazon server and the Move can only use one mode at a time.

The Move will only Play music with Alexa as this is the purpose of the speaker. A mobile speaker you can bring outside of your home.

Using the Move as a Home Theater speaker has limitations. 

If you have other issues, feel free to reach out.

Hi Kyle,

My question still remains how to connect Firestick to Move. if so, how? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @raxt, thank you for the update.

Is the projector able to connect to the Sonos Move via Bluetooth?

If so any audio should come out from the Move. 

Where’s the Firestick physically connected to?

It should be either to a TV or to a Projector’s HMDI.

Can you elaborate on the Setup you want to create? I would like to understand your setup.

Hi,

Thanks again for your help.

Epson 2150, Firestick connected to HDMI port in the rear. Move in Bluetooth mode. Using Epson settings tab, picture displays but no sound. Move is not being recognized via Bluetooth. 

There was a suggestion in Sonos Community that you had to connect Move through Alexa via Firestick. Alexa located the Firestick and will play music but wont play movie sound. 

We tried locating the Move through the Epson settings via Bluetooth to no avail. 

In the community blogs, some people say you can’t connect Move to a Firestick. 

Instead of the Firestick connecting to Epson, should we try through our Samsung Q80? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

What model is your projector? so I can check for a manual.

I was thinking that the Bluetooth functionality is for a wireless keyboard, mouse, and other controller peripherals.

Yes, you can definitely use the TV and when I checked the TV user manual. 

It has a separate Bluetooth section for Bluetooth controllers and Bluetooth speakers.

Update us if you encounter issues.

Epson 2150.

Over the weekend my wife and I tried for a few hours to either get Alexa, Epson or Firestick to recognize each other to play movies/sound, to no avail. Alexa recognize Move and will still only play music but won’t locate the 4K Firestick. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @raxt, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

I see, I checked the projector User Manual; it can output audio to a Bluetooth speaker. 

Alexa won’t be able to connect the Move to other devices as this not listed as one of her commands for Sonos. Control Sonos with Amazon Alexa

The only way for the Move to connect to other devices other than the Sonos system through the Home network; is only through Bluetooth.

Here’s how to set up the Move for Bluetooth connection. 

Press the mode button at the back it will be in-between the Power button and Join Button (infinity symbol).

In Bluetooth mode, Alexa will be disabled; because she needs to connect to the Amazon servers to function.

If the LED light is blinking blue light the Move is ready to pair. On the projector menu, go to settings > Bluetooth > Bluetooth audio on and connect the Move.

Once Connected, test as it may not work. Note in the User manual says: 

1. Bluetooth audio devices must be A2DP compliant. There may be a slight delay in audio output. Bluetooth audio devices are not supported in some countries and regions.
  1. To output audio from a Bluetooth device, you must connect your video source to the projector's HDMI 1/MHL or HDMI2 ports, or use the Screen Mirroring feature. Make sure the Audio Out Device setting in the Settings menu is set to Projector.

I would like to check if the suggested set up would work. Update us with your findings.

Thanks Kyle. Sorry I was out of town and will try to connect again.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

No worries, take your time we’re just simply testing if the setup would work.

Update us when you’re able to test the setup.

Kyle,

I finally got around to trying your suggestion. It would recognize Sonos but would not connect. I forget the response error but would not connect. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @raxt

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and appreciate your update about your concern. It seems that the Sonos Move was recognized by the device but still unable to connect. I’d appreciate it if you can provide us the error message.

I would like to suggest the following steps to check if this would help out.

Pairing Sonos Move to Samsung TV 

1. Put the speaker into Bluetooth pairing mode and make sure it is discoverable. See the product's user manual for how to do this, if needed.
  2. Navigate to the Bluetooth audio device list on your TV and select the speaker to pair with. Home > Settings > Sound > Sound Output > Bluetooth Speaker List. Select Sonos Move on the list. 

Note: The process is slightly different depending on what model of TV you have. You may need to check for your TV’s firmware update.

Refrence Link: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00085402/

Pairing Sonos Move to Firestick

1. Switch your Sonos Move to Bluetooth mode.
  2. In the Fire Stick menu: Navigate to Setting > Controller & Bluetooth Device > Other Bluetooth Device > Add Bluetooth Device > Press Ok.
  3. Your Amazon Fire Stick automatically starts searching for your Bluetooth device (make sure your Sonos Move speaker is not paired with any other device like mobile / laptop at the same time).
  4. Once searching is done, You may pair it and in the future Fire Stick automatically find and connect to your Bluetooth Speaker (if the speaker is on and within the range of fire Stick).

Reference Link: https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/connecting-move-to-projector-via-bluetooth-6845632

Let me know if this works. We're here to answer any further questions you have.