Answered

Sonos Move and hotspots

• 5 September 2019
  • 8 replies

Bluetooth is ok-ish, but the real question - is it going to stream from all my accounts if I take it somewhere and connect to hotspot or non-home WiFi?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 5 September 2019, 19:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
About what melvimbe said. If you can set your SSID and password for the hotspot, the easiest thing to do is just set the credentials the same as your home wifi. Then your Sonos system and your other devices will seamlessly move between home and hotspot.

So long as the phone's on WiFi, from what you're describing on that setup it should work.is all this multiple WiFi support for Move only or older devices will also get it? I have Play One which I’d also like to use same way (assuming there’s power)

If you mean Play:1, it doesn't have BLE so would need to wired to the network, at least the first time it sees a network. Sonos One, Gen 2 has BLE so maybe it's possible. Not sure on the Sonos One, Gen 1.
So long as the phone's on WiFi, from what you're describing on that setup it should work.
is all this multiple WiFi support for Move only or older devices will also get it? I have Play One which I’d also like to use same way (assuming there’s power)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So long as the phone's on WiFi, from what you're describing on that setup it should work.
Guest networks, by design, have routing disabled between wireless peers. This means two devices (any devices) on wireless can't see each other. So if your Move is one of them, and your phone is another, they can't communicate. If you set the Move into Bluetooth mode, it's no longer on the wifi, and can be controlled by your phone as a Bluetooth speaker. The phone would get wifi through the guest network, and can send the audio to the Move which wouldn't be online.

We designed Move in some ways with this in mind. It can remember up to 16 different wireless SSIDs, and will just forget the oldest (used the longest ago) one when a new one is added. The Sonos app will have a flow designed to connect Move to a new network wirelessly, without having to wire it into the network. So when you go somewhere new, you will need to add the new wireless network using the app, and after that, coming back to the same place won't take any configuration at all.

Very nice regarding remembering SSIDs.

So to rephrase the question, if you wanted to connect to a guest network, or something like car provided wifi that connects through a mobile connections, could you..

1 - Connect phone to wifi network
2 - Using BLE to setup the Move with wifi credentials.
3 - Conotrol the Move through Alexa/Google voice commands and 'hard' buttons?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Guest networks, by design, have routing disabled between wireless peers. This means two devices (any devices) on wireless can't see each other. So if your Move is one of them, and your phone is another, they can't communicate. If you set the Move into Bluetooth mode, it's no longer on the wifi, and can be controlled by your phone as a Bluetooth speaker. The phone would get wifi through the guest network, and can send the audio to the Move which wouldn't be online.

We designed Move in some ways with this in mind. It can remember up to 16 different wireless SSIDs, and will just forget the oldest (used the longest ago) one when a new one is added. The Sonos app will have a flow designed to connect Move to a new network wirelessly, without having to wire it into the network. So when you go somewhere new, you will need to add the new wireless network using the app, and after that, coming back to the same place won't take any configuration at all.
Ryan, if the network your connecting to a is a guest network, something that doesn't allow a phone or tablet to see other devices connected to the network, will you still be able to connect the Move to the wifi network wirelessly? Will that be done through BLE?

Also, since the Move could possibly visit several wif networks on a regular basis, will it need to be setup and reconfigured each time?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi hardloaf, best answer I can give you is that it depends on your hotspot. Move can connect to wifi networks. If your hotspot is broadcasting a wireless network, Move should be able to connect to it, and be online. That means the voice control will work, your services should play, and any mobile devices connected to the same hotspot should be able to control it. But... if the hotspot's connection isn't stable and good, you may have trouble.

EDIT: Here are the directions for 'Using Move on a different wireless network.'