Sonos Mesh Network vs. Wi-Fi

• 30 April 2015
  • 11 replies

Question ...

If I currently have no Boost or Bridge does that mean all of my speakers are just running off of my Wi-fi network?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Answer.... You can connect any of the Play's to you router via network cable to create the sonos mesh network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea what Dave said!
Thanks guys.

So currently I have (2) PLAY:1's and (1) PLAY:5 but none of them are directly cabled to my router.  I haven't had any issues to date but I think what ever body is agreeing on here is that is would be a more robust setup if I did have one of these Players directly connected to my router?  And if not, I can always buy a boost?

Thanks!

Mike 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In doing this you will have to go into Sonos setup and verify the Channel number Sonos is then operating on (1, 6, or 11) and make sure your home router is on one of those 3 that Sonos is not.
Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Yes once you have a Sonos device connected it will be Sonosnet which then means all of your speakers will then become network repeaters extending the network outward to insure a better signal.  It will then also pull all your music streaming off of your home wifi and onto the Sonosnet - improving reliability of the music streams and your home wifi data.

So would using the above set-up then allow the Sonos controller on my iPhone to pick up that enhanced radiated wifi signal too? I currently have a dead spot in the back bedroom which is so "dead" that I have to physically move out of the room (okay, my warm and cosy bed) to pick up the wifi signal on the landing to load the controller 🙂 I have a Play 1 sat on the upstairs landing so presumably that would be helping with my signal output if I connect one of the Play 1's directly to the router. Thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
If you had an Android device you could...
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
How can I see which channel my wifi router is operating on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How can I see which channel my wifi router is operating on?

You'll need to access your router via a web browser. Just Google your router make and model and there will be details on how to do that
What happens when you plug a play 1 into a wifi extender via ethernet
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
What happens when you plug a play 1 into a wifi extender via ethernet

Extenders are not recommended as they are unreliable.