Question

Sonos keeps cutting out but my Wifi seems to working finr

• 19 April 2017
  • 4 replies

All afternoon my Sonos has been skipping half way through tracks and then just stopping.

Seems to happen if I stream from my phone or from Spotify.

My diagnostic number is 7314948.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Note that music playing is much more sensitive to wifi disturbances than pretty much anything else. Or perhaps I should say less tolerant to interruption? In any case, there's two potential issues that seems to fit most situations like this.

1) For wifi interference: Try changing the channel your wifi is on. If your router has an "auto channel" setting, make sure it's not turned on, instead select your own specific channel. If one of your devices is connected to the router with a ethernet cable, then go in to the Sonos app and change the channel that Sonosnet is using. Also, check around the area near your router and speakers for any other devices that might be causing potential interference. Commonly referenced items are things like web cams, baby monitors, wifi printers, and DECT phones.

2) For potential duplicate IP address issues (and wow, I really need to templatize this, it's really a common issue in many local wifi situations): Turn off/unplug all devices connected to your router, and your router as well. Then plug back in/boot up your router, giving it enough time to complete its boot up process, then move to each device and power it back up, allowing enough time for it to boot up fully before moving on to the next device. Many people suggest reserving IP addresses for the Sonos devices, since the update process does a reboot of each speaker and often exposes any issues you might have in your local wifi network. Unfortunately, each router does this in a different fashion, so you would need to look at the manual for your router. You can find the current IP address assigned to each speaker in Settings > About my Sonos System, but unfortunately neither that place, or your router's webpage will tell you if you do have a duplicate IP address, as they only show what is assigned at the moment the task is run, and doesn't show historical data.

Hope that helps.
Would upgrading a WiFi system to something like an eero mesh WiFi or maybe Google WiFi?
Help with reducing cutouts?
Only if the issue is your Wi-Fi signal being too weak to be steady, which is most unlikely.