Sonos...I Beg You For Outdoor Speakers!

I've been a loyal customer so long that I'm still using the 100 controllers (over 10 years). Sonos has rolled out a whole lot of very impressive products during that time. That said, the one glaring omission are outdoor speakers (with the built in amplifier to tie into your Sonos network). It would seem to be a very easy solution, and I'm still baffled that there have been no products launched for those of us who like to have music outside!

John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I love the discussion, but still no word from SONOS wether or not an outdoor speaker is in the pipeline.

I have an outdoor wall plug so a play:5 or 3 or even a 1 could easily be put outside, but I really want a weatherproof solution for the speaker (and would also love an internal battery).

And to stay in the spirit of wishing and dreaming (christmass) lets add airplay to SONOS.
I've been a loyal customer so long that I'm still using the 100 controllers (over 10 years). Sonos has rolled out a whole lot of very impressive products during that time. That said, the one glaring omission are outdoor speakers (with the built in amplifier to tie into your Sonos network). It would seem to be a very easy solution, and I'm still baffled that there have been no products launched for those of us who like to have music outside!

John

Yes, I agree and it's sad that there is no response on this. And YES, to everyone who is about to tell me how wonderful it is to use a Connect:AMP to drive any imaginable wired speaker, I'm NOT INTERESTED. I want Sonos to take all the same expertise they put into making a home speaker and make a wireless outdoor speaker. Not interested in wires, not interested in extra boxes, etc. So, please, that's not the point of this post. I am echoing John's request - OUTDOOR WIRELESS SPEAKERS PLEASE!
I'm also hoping/waiting for an outdoor play:5 that can run on a built in Li-Ion batteriy or something similar.

I want to take it outside when sitting on the patio or leave it inside in the bathroom (plugged in).
Yes, the Squeezebox line was so successful, they bankrupted Sonos and dominated the wireless audio space.

No, wait...

😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Yes, the Squeezebox line was so successful, they bankrupted Sonos and dominated the wireless audio space.

No, wait...

:D

Squeezebox failed due to no marketing and being over technical. The individual products were superior to Sonos equivalents.
I simply unplug them and carry out to the deck and it's a nice feature to have.
Building in battery back up for occasional outdoor use like this - a good additional feature, as opposed to leaving them out on battery power all the time. It would address safer use in bathrooms as well, without having to weather proof them any more than they already are.
Squeezebox failed due to no marketing and being over technical. The individual products were superior to Sonos equivalents.
I don't know about marketing - but isn't an over technical solution by definition less superior? Except for people that love fiddling with the tech aspects which seemed to be the nature of the SB market.
On one level, SONOS is the most "over technical solution" available, and this is why SONOS works so well. However, in the current environment, if a company wants to appeal to a broad market segment, the setup and user interface must hide this tech. And, good user support is required.

I think that the original appeal of SB was to the tech community. Early on, recording and playing music on computers was a rather complicated tech adventure. This was the SB roots. And, in this context, SB was well positioned.

iTunes was the breakout as far as the mass market was concerned. iTunes buried tech. But, iTunes is really a single point or point to point player.

Enter SONOS with their whole house solution. SONOS solved the underlying technical issues with SB, buried the tech, and had first class marketing, customer support -- and management. In my opinion, most audio companies have a narrow vision, usually centered around a technical guru and founder. The point of the company is to design the best [...]. Once this product is out, the vision ends. Even if the product becomes somewhat popular, the company is not able to scale and build on the base. The company is limited by their production capability, warehousing and shipping capacity, and inability to market. Many of these companies think that good marketing is pumping out a couple of glossy handouts. The founder must be the center of everything and when this individual saturates or reaches some sort of short sighted goal, the company tops out.

From day one SONOS had a large vision and all aspects of the company were designed to scale. The large vision attracted venture capital, allowing SONOS room to outsource non core activities, such as production, warehousing, and shipping. As the company grew, it attracted experienced large enterprise talent, simply plugging into scalable modular slots that were already in place. And SONOS was not afraid to take risk. The initial pricing of the CR100 and ZP100, given the design, production, and marking costs, was too low to sustain a small company, but since SONOS had a large vision and some venture capital, they bet that volume would build and eventually the price would be sustainable. They won the bet.

I think that the original SB crew was running too lean on capital and LOGITECH was looking for a cash cow. Initially, it probably looked like a good plan for both. SB had access to some capital and logistic support and LOGITECH gained a relatively inexpensive cash cow that could compete with SONOS. In hindsight, probably the SB vision was too narrow and LOGITECH underestimated the capital requirements -- and the vision faded. LOGITECH's sweet spot is acquiring, then flooding the market with turnkey commodity products, but SB had not yet developed to this level.
SONOS solved the underlying technical issues with SB, buried the tech, and had first class marketing, customer support -- and management.

Good summary. As far as I know, it is the only US company that is a global market leader in its segment in the area of consumer entertainment electronics.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I use a standard Sonos zp90 in my kitchen are hooked up to a old receiver that has speaker A+B connections. I use regular outdoor speakers on the deck and simply run the wires just above baseboard to the receiver thru the wall. This way I can cover 2 areas with one Sonos box.

Wireless outdoor speakers wouldn't make a big difference for me, but I can see some scenarios where it would be most helpful.
Userlevel 2
A re-chargable battery option would be nice. But I'm not sure a permenant outdoor weather proof speaker is feasible, most people wouldn't be prepared to pay the extra cost
Userlevel 2
I'm planning on mounting a play:1 outside, under an overhang. It will stay completely dry, but I'd still like to get a cover for when it's not in use. Haven't found much while searching the internet. Anyone have any ideas?
Userlevel 2
Badge
The connect:amp was expensive but it has worked flawlessly with my outdoor Bose. The outdoor speakers were given to me so took the bite out of the cost. Wiring was already done so was easy set up.
Badge
I was in Best Buy shortly after the new year chatting with one of the employees about Sonos and if he saw a decrease in Sonos sales due to all the new speakers (Samsung, Denon, Bose) etc that have been popping up. Anyway he stated that a Sonos rep had come by the store shortly before Christmas and claimed that the Sonos rep told him that Sonos would be releasing an outdoor speaker as it's next new product offering.... take it for what it's worth...
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
That would be nice-hope that source is reliable 🙂
Userlevel 2
I don't think it makes sense for Sonos to release an outdoor speaker. First, even if a battery powered unit was rated for the weather it would have to be plugged in to be charged. Even a non-weather rated battery powered speaker would have to carried in and out with use. Either of those situations are not ideal. Second, a plug in Sonos speaker would be an issue even if it was rated for outdoor use. Outdoor plugs would not likely be in an ideal location for a mounted speaker. (I get that they could just be left sitting on an outdoor table, but a non-mounted outdoor speaker could easily be stolen.) The best solution is just to mount some outdoor speakers and run wire somewhere weatherproof to a Connect:Amp. It would never need to be touched after setup and speaker wire is much easier to run to an outdoor location than power cables.

Of course, anyone who has a receiver setup with a Sonos connect could likely run wired outdoor speakers to a zone 2 and get sonos outside that way.

Either way, the Connect:AMP works great for outdoor speakers and can even power an outdoor sub like the one Polk Audio makes.
Userlevel 1
Can't help thinking about the number of times we've heard predictions from "Sonos reps" that have never come to pass...
The best solution is just to mount some outdoor speakers and run wire somewhere weatherproof to a Connect:Amp. It would never need to be touched after setup and speaker wire is much easier to run to an outdoor location than power cables.

Exactly. Even a Connect to an amp of some sort will work. I've been running this way for over six years. People that don't do this because they're waiting for an outdoor speaker are missing out.
Even a Connect to an amp of some sort will work. I've been running this way for over six years. People that don't do this because they're waiting for an outdoor speaker are missing out.
Agreed. I have used a Bose 251 pair outside for over ten years now, powered by a stereo amp. It was a simple matter to incorporate into Sonos by adding a Connect. Even if I was buying today, a outdoor speaker needing a power socket - or two - would be inconvenient.
Exactly. Outdoor sound has many workable solutions; an indoor / outdoor Sonos Play Outside would be compromised in either setting. If you're serious, wire dedicated out door speakers; if you're not serious move a device in and out as needed.

From experience, soffit mounted speakers aimed downwards tend to annoy the neighbours less!
Badge +1
Sonos outdoor wireless speakers would be great! Or a water resistant/proof Play5_Outside?! I used to bring out the play5 to the patio but that got old going back and forth. So planned to use a connect amp and outdoor speakers but found the connect wasn't powerful enough for the speakers I wanted. So got a classic (i.e. used) big Adcom amp and a connect and these https://www.sonarray.com/ - music heaven outdoors (for those that don't mind running wire until Sonos gives us a wireless option 😉.
Play 1 should come as rechargeable plays for outdoor use.
I have a fairly large covered outdoor area with Paybar, Sub and Play1’s. Every time I try Trueplay set up the external noise, a road with traffic nearby and animals, trees etc interfere with the set up. How can I overcome this for the best Trueplay sound?
Late at night when the sounds are less? If the noise thresholds are exceeded, the tuning process will not start.

If that remains the case, using the EQ in the controller to tweak the sound is all you can do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I'd buy a battery powered Play1 tomorrow ot they were available.

If a second hand one comes up cheap enough could be an interesting project!.
It would seem to be a very easy solution, and I'm still baffled that there have been no products launched for those of us who like to have music outside!

Perhaps because of the many available outdoor speakers that can be wired to a Connect Amp? Works very well at my place.
A wireless speaker would still need mains power leads, and running speaker wires may be safer and just as convenient.