Sonos...I Beg You For Outdoor Speakers!

I've been a loyal customer so long that I'm still using the 100 controllers (over 10 years). Sonos has rolled out a whole lot of very impressive products during that time. That said, the one glaring omission are outdoor speakers (with the built in amplifier to tie into your Sonos network). It would seem to be a very easy solution, and I'm still baffled that there have been no products launched for those of us who like to have music outside!

John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
That would be nice-hope that source is reliable 🙂
Userlevel 2
I don't think it makes sense for Sonos to release an outdoor speaker. First, even if a battery powered unit was rated for the weather it would have to be plugged in to be charged. Even a non-weather rated battery powered speaker would have to carried in and out with use. Either of those situations are not ideal. Second, a plug in Sonos speaker would be an issue even if it was rated for outdoor use. Outdoor plugs would not likely be in an ideal location for a mounted speaker. (I get that they could just be left sitting on an outdoor table, but a non-mounted outdoor speaker could easily be stolen.) The best solution is just to mount some outdoor speakers and run wire somewhere weatherproof to a Connect:Amp. It would never need to be touched after setup and speaker wire is much easier to run to an outdoor location than power cables.

Of course, anyone who has a receiver setup with a Sonos connect could likely run wired outdoor speakers to a zone 2 and get sonos outside that way.

Either way, the Connect:AMP works great for outdoor speakers and can even power an outdoor sub like the one Polk Audio makes.
Userlevel 1
Can't help thinking about the number of times we've heard predictions from "Sonos reps" that have never come to pass...
The best solution is just to mount some outdoor speakers and run wire somewhere weatherproof to a Connect:Amp. It would never need to be touched after setup and speaker wire is much easier to run to an outdoor location than power cables.

Exactly. Even a Connect to an amp of some sort will work. I've been running this way for over six years. People that don't do this because they're waiting for an outdoor speaker are missing out.
Even a Connect to an amp of some sort will work. I've been running this way for over six years. People that don't do this because they're waiting for an outdoor speaker are missing out.
Agreed. I have used a Bose 251 pair outside for over ten years now, powered by a stereo amp. It was a simple matter to incorporate into Sonos by adding a Connect. Even if I was buying today, a outdoor speaker needing a power socket - or two - would be inconvenient.
Exactly. Outdoor sound has many workable solutions; an indoor / outdoor Sonos Play Outside would be compromised in either setting. If you're serious, wire dedicated out door speakers; if you're not serious move a device in and out as needed.

From experience, soffit mounted speakers aimed downwards tend to annoy the neighbours less!
I've been a loyal customer so long that I'm still using the 100 controllers (over 10 years). Sonos has rolled out a whole lot of very impressive products during that time. That said, the one glaring omission are outdoor speakers (with the built in amplifier to tie into your Sonos network). It would seem to be a very easy solution, and I'm still baffled that there have been no products launched for those of us who like to have music outside!

John

Yes, I agree and it's sad that there is no response on this. And YES, to everyone who is about to tell me how wonderful it is to use a Connect:AMP to drive any imaginable wired speaker, I'm NOT INTERESTED. I want Sonos to take all the same expertise they put into making a home speaker and make a wireless outdoor speaker. Not interested in wires, not interested in extra boxes, etc. So, please, that's not the point of this post. I am echoing John's request - OUTDOOR WIRELESS SPEAKERS PLEASE!
Badge +1
Sonos outdoor wireless speakers would be great! Or a water resistant/proof Play5_Outside?! I used to bring out the play5 to the patio but that got old going back and forth. So planned to use a connect amp and outdoor speakers but found the connect wasn't powerful enough for the speakers I wanted. So got a classic (i.e. used) big Adcom amp and a connect and these https://www.sonarray.com/ - music heaven outdoors (for those that don't mind running wire until Sonos gives us a wireless option 😉.
Play 1 should come as rechargeable plays for outdoor use.
I have a fairly large covered outdoor area with Paybar, Sub and Play1’s. Every time I try Trueplay set up the external noise, a road with traffic nearby and animals, trees etc interfere with the set up. How can I overcome this for the best Trueplay sound?
Late at night when the sounds are less? If the noise thresholds are exceeded, the tuning process will not start.

If that remains the case, using the EQ in the controller to tweak the sound is all you can do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I'd buy a battery powered Play1 tomorrow ot they were available.

If a second hand one comes up cheap enough could be an interesting project!.