Sonos Grandfather or Hardware Trade-in Programs

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 11 replies
Back in April, Sonos sent out its official AirPlay 2 support e-mail. I headed straight to the blog post to confirm the rumors about having to buy new speakers to get what I've wanted since I purchased my $2,000 Sonos theater sound system less than 2 years ago (PlayBar, Sub, & set of Play:1s). Alas, it was true. After contacting Sonos support, I learned I can't simply replace one of my Play:1s with a Sonos One—surround sound won't work properly—cha-ching, another $400 in less than 2 years of buying a $2000 sound system!

Now, I understand the need for new hardware to support AirPlay 2, however, Sonos has missed the boat for an existing customer appreciation hardware upgrade program. As a former Product Marketing Manager for a technology company, I've dealt with with both software and hardware upgrade issues for existing customers. And, obviously, it's much less costly to upgrade software. However, since my days in Product Marketing, hardware manufacturing methods have continued to improve which has led to significantly lower manufacturing costs. To that end, if Sonos really wants to "Value" its customer base, then how about one of two hardware upgrade programs:

• A Grandfather Hardware Discount Program: Those Sonos customers who purchased a complete theater sound system with a minimum purchase of a PlayBar, Sub, and a set of Play:1s within 2 years of the release of the Sonos One speakers get a 20 - 30% discount on the purchase of a new set of Sonos One speakers. This discount has to be a "REAL" discount. The typical 10% discounts don't get anyone's heart started nowadays.

• A Hardware Trade-In Program: Sonos offers Sonos Ones at a 40% - 50% discount with the trade-in of an existing set of Play:1s. And, to make it easy for those customer who may have discarded their Play:1 boxes, they can return their existing Play:1s in the Sonos One boxes—they seem to be very similar in size. This is a win-win because existing customers get a much more gently priced set of Sonos One's and Sonos can sell the used Play:1s as refurbs.

I was planning on purchasing another Sonos theater sound system for my master bedroom, however, unless Sonos really reaches out with a hardware upgrade program like on of those I just detailed, I will be buying a different brand from now on.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

45 replies

Hmmm. Good luck finding a better alternative!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do not see how people who purchased a Home Theatre set-up in toto within the last few years can have any expectation to be given compensation to have their system upgraded.
When those people bought their systems they were obviously suitable for their requirements then and at that point there was no expectation that Airplay 2 would be integrated into any Sonos devices.
You would do better than the figures you suggest just by putting the existing stuff on eBay. Also, I am curious, if Airplay was what you most wanted, why you bought a system that didn't have it and certainly would not be getting it now if it were still Airplay 1.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
My new BMW supports Carplay. My wife’s does not. They are only 1 year apart. I’m going to go complain at BMW and ask for a heavily discounted trade in. Wish me luck.
Badge
And also don’t forget that ONEs as rear speakers in the home theater setup may not have Airplay functionality.
You would do better than the figures you suggest just by putting the existing stuff on eBay. Also, I am curious, if Airplay was what you most wanted, why you bought a system that didn't have it and certainly would not be getting it now if it were still Airplay 1.

That was my thought. There is no need for a trade-in program when there is a good used market out there. Yes, you have to do a little more work, but you can probably get more than 50% of your money back.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok people, let me provide this clarification—could not edit my post after I submitted it (many forums offer this, but this one does not). I did quite a bit of research prior to my purchasing my Sonos sound system. In addition, I contacted Sonos support and asked about AirPlay suppprt (not AirPlay 2 because it was still an unknown) and was told it would be coming (that was in July of 2016). I also asked about HDMI supporting surround sound (Cable TV box HDMI connection to TV—using optical out from TV to PlayBar). To that end, I did my homework, but was misled into believing the system I wanted to purchase would support AirPlay, but that support never came.

So, Mr. BMW: if u were told by BMW the car you were going to buy for your wife would later have CarPlay support with just a simple firmwate update and that update never came, you would've been a quite disappointed when full CarPlay support was available in next year's mode only.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Baseman1968: where did you hear about the One speakers may not have AirPlay 2 support when set as rear speakers? I had 2 very lengthy conversations with 2 separate Sonos technical reps and was told this would support it. I figured I double my Sonos conversations this time so I wasn't misled a second time.
If a "Sonos Support" person told you in July 2016 that Airplay support "is coming", they were very wrong, or you are misstating the conversation. Sonos stated emphatically, on multiple occasions, from the CEO himself, that they were not going to support Airplay 1. No rep could misunderstand that statement and keep their job.

As for Airplay 2, Sonos didn't announce Airplay 2 support until October of 2017! Somehow I doubt the Sonos rep implied Airplay 2 support was coming a year and 3 months before Sonos announced it and 10 months before Apple even revealed the name. Sorry, not buying it. If somebody is fishing for a refund, they should use more believable bait.
Badge
Baseman1968: where did you hear about the One speakers may not have AirPlay 2 support when set as rear speakers? I had 2 very lengthy conversations with 2 separate Sonos technical reps and was told this would support it. I figured I double my Sonos conversations this time so I wasn't misled a second time.
I didn't hear it. But I know that you can't use the rear speakers to create a Sonos net, because they are connected to the PLAYBAR via a 5 GHz net. Therefore I don't see AirPlay working like that.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Baseman1968: Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'd better have ANOTHER conversation with a Sonos technical rep—this time someone in leadership. I'll post what I learn
I didn't hear it. But I know that you can't use the rear speakers to create a Sonos net, because they are connected to the PLAYBAR via a 5 GHz net. Therefore I don't see AirPlay working like that.
I don't know what you mean by any of that, I am afraid. In particular I don't see how SonosNet will have anything to do with whether Airplay 2 works or not. I think we will just have to wait and see the details.
I really wouldn't trust anything anyone says until it is official Sonos statement. I don't think Sonos Support are likely to know for sure and I don't believe @Bassman1968's comments have any technical validity.
Badge
Hi John,
I didn’t say that Sonos Net has anything to do with it.
But the 5GHz connection between PLAYBAR and rear speakers is reserved/limited for surround functionality.
Therefore you can’t use the rear to create a Sonos Net and I think also to use the AirPlay stream via that connection.
Anyway, we will know pretty soon I hope.
Armin
Userlevel 1
Badge
jgatie: As hard as it is for you to believe, I was told by a Sonos technical rep back in 2016 that Airplay support would be coming, but he couldn't provide a timeframe. Also, did I state anywhere in my post that I wanted a refund? Nope! How about actually reading posts in detail before you make a reply. In full disclosure, I really want to keep my Play:1s and install them on my pool porch and simply replace them with Ones in my theater setup—while having AirPlay 2 support. I've been told by Sonos that will work. However, another poster on this forum does not believe that will work, so here we go again. I'm simply stating that if Sonos really wanted to show they truly value its customer base, they could've offered some type of decent discount program back in October when they released the Sonos Ones.
Hi John,
I didn’t say that Sonos Net has anything to do with it.
But the 5GHz connection between PLAYBAR and rear speakers is reserved/limited for surround functionality.
Therefore you can’t use the rear to create a Sonos Net and I think also to use the AirPlay stream via that connection.
Anyway, we will know pretty soon I hope.
Armin
You can wire surrounds or a Sub to trigger SonosNet, although it is not an ideal configuration.
jgatie: As hard as it is for you to believe, I was told by a Sonos technical rep back in 2016 that Airplay support would be coming, but he couldn't provide a timeframe. Also, did I state anywhere in my post that I wanted a refund? Nope! How about actually reading posts in detail before you make a reply. In full disclosure, I really want to keep my Play:1s and install them on my pool porch and simply replace them with Ones in my theater setup—while having AirPlay 2 support. I've been told by Sonos that will work. However, another poster on this forum does not believe that will work, so here we go again. I'm simply stating that if Sonos really wanted to show they truly value its customer base, they could've offered some type of decent discount program back in October when they released the Sonos Ones.
... and at the end of the day you'll get Sonos bouncing around bankruptcy rather than delivering Airplay2 support.
I am not saying I am sure it will work. It sounds like older speakers will need to be grouped to play Airplay 2 and surround speakers don't fit naturally with that. But none of us knows.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Smilja: You've obviously never have been a Product Marketing Manager for a technology company. If you think an upgrade program strictly for existing Sonos customers (i.e those that choose to take advantage of the program) will bankrupt Sonos, then you have no conception of their profit margins—not even close to bankrupting the company. If anything, the goodwill shown with such a program would end up driving up revenues and profits in the long-term.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Oh, while it's obvious, but I failed to mentioned it, either of my suggested Sonos customer programs mentioned above would be for a limited time (i.e. 1 year).
Sonos could not afford to pay what people can get on eBay. What happens to the trade ins by the way? Landfill?
Or maybe Sonos could put them on eBay?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have I stepped into a parallel universe?

I used to think that the complaints that Millennials were entitled was nonsense but then this sort of thread comes along.

And as John B says what does the OP expect Sonos to do with the replaced units?

I'm simply not buying it. I've had the same "issues" with buying tech gear over the years. You do your research and close in on your chosen product. You find during that search rumours of said product being updated or replaced with a unit which has a dilithium drive. You don't want or even need that but suddenly you covet the dilithium drive version. So you wait. And you wait. Before you know it you'e had six months without the thing your really wanted/needed half a year ago for the want of a feature you don't needed nor even wanted. And I have been there where I bought a TV, PVR, camera and a few months later a new version came out that was "better". Until it came out I was that happy pig rolling in mud. Bt now, now I'm a really unhappy bunny because my PVR doesn't put recordings in a folder! No, that didn't happen. I just shrugged and cried on enjoying my product.
The gaping hole in this suggestion is that it hugely overstates the economic value of Airplay to the average Sonos user (which in my case is very close to zero). If we cared about Airplay we wouldn't have bought Sonos in the first place. For many of us the same is true of voice control - although that can be added with a Dot anyway.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think trying to get information about upcoming products and features from the tech support is the best way to go. Technically, they represent the company, but there main job is to solve customer issues, not make official announcements. No offense to anyone who does tech support like that, but I'm not basing my purchasing decisions on your word alone. Besides, Sonos is pretty good about making announcement when they are comfortable with making information official.

In regards to starting a discount program back in October, I'm not following your logic here. Sonos didn't know back then what speakers were going to work with it what were not. I could be wrong, but I don't think even Apple knew what the required specs were going to be. In a way, they did offer a discount program because the price on the play:1 dropped $50 soon after the Sonos One was released, but that wasn't because of airplay 2.

Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that the initial Sonos announcement was about a contractual agreement between Sonos and Apple then any kind of statement about what the final function and features would be.