Answered

Sonos five stereo pair (one switched on)

• 4 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have 2 Sonos Five connected in stereo pair in horizontal position.

I have a doubt, If I only turn on one of them, that Sonos Five detects it and works as “fulll stereo” like it isn’t in stereo pair configured?

Or continue to work as left or right channel as is configured in the app?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by James L. 5 March 2021, 10:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @sigedil671, welcome to the community.

If you only turn on one half of a stereo pair, then it’s unlikely that your speakers would show up as a playable room at all. If it did show up, then it would indeed play “full stereo” as if it wasn’t in a stereo pair. 

I recommend manually separating your stereo pair if you plan on only using one of them at a time.

I have tested if I switch on only the left speaker, it works unless the right is switched off. It seems stereo.

If I switch on only the right speaker, it doesn't work. In the app appears not configured.

Badge +17

I have tested if I switch on only the left speaker, it works unless the right is switched off. It seems stereo.

If I switch on only the right speaker, it doesn't work. In the app appears not configured.

Yeah, this is what I meant when I said it may not show up at all. 

When you stereo pair two Sonos speakers, one becomes the “Group Coordinator” (GC) and the other the “Group Member” (GM). If you power off the GC that basically cuts the connection for that room. The GM is looking for the GC to share its connection and music information, so without it the player doesn’t know what to do. This is why you should separate your players if you plan on only playing them one at a time. 

In your case, it seems like your left Sonos Five is the GC, which explains why the room doesn’t show up if you power that one off.