Answered

Sonos Five can’t detect 5Ghz Wifi

Badge

My sonos five, unable to detect my 5Ghz Wifi. It only appear the 2.4Ghz Wifi. All my other device connected to my 5Ghz Wifi just fine.

I try manually type the Wifi network but still unable to connect.

icon

Best answer by Xander P 30 March 2021, 09:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Only Sonos' most recent speakers can connect to a router's 5GHz band. That does not include the Play:5 gen 2.

Badge

Hi @John B i just bought my sonos five recently

Hi @John B i just bought my sonos five recently

Sorry, I believed the thread title rather than the post.

A couple of quick suggestions to perhaps try...

• Maybe see if the speaker will connect to the 5Ghz band if you bring the device closer to the router and fully power it off/on again?
  • Perhaps try temporarily toggling off the routers 2.4ghz Radio to try to force the speaker over to the 5Ghz band (again you may need to reboot the speaker).
Badge

Sorry, I believed the thread title rather than the post.

Sorry :( I type wrongly for the title. Its a Sonos Five. 

Badge

A couple of quick suggestions to perhaps try...

• Maybe see if the speaker will connect to the 5Ghz band if you bring the device closer to the router and fully power it off/on again?
  • Perhaps try temporarily toggling off the routers 2.4ghz Radio to try to force the speaker over to the 5Ghz band (again you may need to reboot the speaker).

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths I will try to bring my device closer to the router. Hope it able to detect the 5Ghz band.

Badge

hi @Ken_Griffiths I tried put next to my router, but still unable to detect. I even tried to restart my router

:(

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @pikyee38, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community!

At this stage it may be worth reaching out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, so they can take a closer look at the 5GHz wireless card on your Five.

Let us know how you get on, and if you get the issue resolved :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Is there also a way to ‘force’ the Sonos device to start using the 5GHZ?

I have the same issue with 2 sonos ONE SL's:

1 One is connecting to 2.4GHZ, the other to 5 GHZ

Is there a way to force both ONE's to use the 5GHZ channel?

Like I said on your other thread, the comparison with Woonkamer (RR) is a bit unfair. That’s a home theatre satellite so it will connect over the dedicated 5GHz put out by the home theatre master player.

For non-HT players, such as your kitchen Ones, there are doubtless rules about the relative 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi signal strengths which determine how the device connects. As I remarked elsewhere there’s no way to force it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@ratty ; 😁 you're definitely ruling this board. Wanted to receive input from other subject matter experts, that's why i posted a similar question in this thread. 
Anyhow. Thanks again for your wise words and quick response

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Ps. In above example. Which is the HT master player. It's that the sub or the playbar?

I’ll leave it to others then...

Ps. In above example. Which is the HT master player. It's that the sub or the playbar?

The Playbar, in your case. The one at the front, responsible for the audio decode and playing the L/C/R channels. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Ok. Understood

Can you educate me how, if the playbar is on 2.4ghz., the satellites (slaves)  connect to 5ghz when the master is at 2.4ghz? 

Can you educate me how, if the playbar is on 2.4ghz., the satellites (slaves)  connect to 5ghz when the master is at 2.4ghz? 

The master player contains two radios: one 2.4GHz, the other 5GHz. The former is the primary wireless connection to the network (assuming the player isn’t wired that is) and the latter constitutes a private access point for the satellites. (This is why a HT master is unable to connect to 5GHz WiFi. The 5GHz radio is already occupied.)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks Ratty... As always

It perfectly makes sense in the way you explain it. Much appreciated

Force the 5ghz compatible devices to connect to your 5ghz network by:

1. Designating a unique SSID for your 5ghz network (e.g., “network” for 2.4ghz and “network-5g” for 5ghz. 
  2. In Sonos app, delete existing network(s) if 5g and 2g networks previously shared the same SSID. Will need to connect one Sonos device by wire to setup new network(s) in app.
  3. Only add 5ghz network SSID to Sonos app.  All 5ghz compatible devices will connect to 5ghz network.
  4. Connect remaining devices to 2.4ghz network by adding the SSID for 2.4ghz network.
  5. Verify that devices connected to the right network by accessing your routers administrative console (i.e., 192.168.1.1)
  6. If you restart your router, you will need to manually force the 5ghz devices to connect to 5ghz again. To do this, simply go into Sonos app and delete (forget) the 2.4ghz network, while retaining the 5ghz network. 5ghz devices will connect. Once 5ghz devices are finished connecting, re-add the 2.4ghz network SSID to connect remaining devices. 

@Emerson VA, According to your profile you got a Boost. Are you running the system in mixed SonosNet/WiFi mode?

No, I disconnected the boost, the performance is much better over WiFi using 5ghz vs. SonosNet. Using SonosNet I was experiencing frequent dropouts, to the point where it was simply unbearable. Even with two boosts, and several speakers wired over Ethernet, SonosNet doesn’t allow enough bandwidth for my setup (15 total speakers). 

Odd. I have 20+ speakers, and use a BOOST with no issues. Makes me wonder if there was some wifi interference of some type on the channel the BOOST was using. Hard to tell via reading, though. And as long as your system is working now, there’s no point in messing with it. But others may get different experiences, wifi (radio signals) can be tricky from situation to situation.